EF 100-400mm Mark II + EF 1.4x III Extender - 6D Mark II - Any Experiences/Feedback?

Good day all,

Wanted to quickly see if anyone has had results or experience with the combo above. I picked up the 6D Mark II last year during the Black Friday extravaganzas and have generally liked it (the Dynamic Range hasn't been an issue for my usual subjects, aviation). Up until now I have been using a 2010-bought EF 100-400MM as my primary telephoto.

Obviously, with the move to full frame, I have lost some effective focal length compared to my previous crop bodies. As such, I have been looking at the new Mark II of the 100-400mm plus the 1.4x Mark III, which would retain 27 AF points with the extender. This would obviously give me back some of that reach that I have lost in those scenarios where I find I am missing it.

Has anyone used this combination here? I am strongly suspecting that the AF coverage relative to the frame will be fairly poor, given the already poor coverage on the 6D II will all AF points active, however I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a known "lemon" of a pairing. I have been able to find precious little in terms of actual discussion of this pairing, just a lot of legacy chatter about the original 6D.

Cheers!

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Good day all,

Wanted to quickly see if anyone has had results or experience with the combo above. I picked up the 6D Mark II last year during the Black Friday extravaganzas and have generally liked it (the Dynamic Range hasn't been an issue for my usual subjects, aviation). Up until now I have been using a 2010-bought EF 100-400MM as my primary telephoto.

Obviously, with the move to full frame, I have lost some effective focal length compared to my previous crop bodies. As such, I have been looking at the new Mark II of the 100-400mm plus the 1.4x Mark III, which would retain 27 AF points with the extender. This would obviously give me back some of that reach that I have lost in those scenarios where I find I am missing it.

Has anyone used this combination here? I am strongly suspecting that the AF coverage relative to the frame will be fairly poor, given the already poor coverage on the 6D II will all AF points active, however I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a known "lemon" of a pairing. I have been able to find precious little in terms of actual discussion of this pairing, just a lot of legacy chatter about the original 6D.

Cheers!
HI!
I'm using the 100/400mm & 1,4 Extender and 5D3 on a regular basis.
Quality suffers a little bit (as usual with extenders), but remains on a very good level, even if the zoom is used at maximum aperture.So, don't hesitate, you certainly will not regret it!
PS: As to the AF points, I will be of no help, since I use exclusively the central ones...

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2018
Good day all,

Cheers!
KfirGuy,

I have not used the version 1 of 100-400, nor the 6D MkII, however, I use the 100-400 LII and the 1.4x TC III on my 5dMkIII and 5DMkIV on a regular basis. I have gotten good results handheld at 1/2000 + f/10 with Auto ISO (100-1600 on 7DmkII and 100-6400 on 5DMkIV). However, if I need to go slower or wider on the aperture, I use my gimball. So far I am happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0