Status
Not open for further replies.

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Daniel Flather said:
If they release it, we can't wait for it anymore. :(

Cant help but agree, sort of an anticlimax of sorts, nothing more to bitch about....No, something will come up.

Reminds me of that Movie "The Never Ending Story", Hope it's better though than the Movie, If we ever see it.

I'm one of the "Buyers" for this lens, now I'm starting to think that with the whole Nonsense of almost 3 years since Canon first indicated it would be released "Late 2011", I'll get it, set it up, flip the switch for the 1.4x converter, and it'll explode.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Click said:
canon1969 said:
Most annoying product launch ever (assuming it actually launches)... :mad:

I agree with you.

May be a non launch May never come out. Canon could cancel the lens at a time before it is introduced

I doubt that for two reasons.

First, the lens was already used by photographers in the Olympic games. That means most of the investment in the lens was already done, and Canon has an interest to manufacture the lens and cover the expenses.

If the lens turns into vaporware, that would be bad PR for Canon. Yes, this lens had a small target audience to begin with, and most photographers (including me) haven't considered buying one to begin with, but it would make customers suspect every announcement and delay.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
eml58 said:
RGF said:
Click said:
canon1969 said:
Most annoying product launch ever (assuming it actually launches)... :mad:

I agree with you.

May be a non launch May never come out. Canon could cancel the lens at a time before it is introduced

RGF, Bite your tongue :eek:

Did I hit a nerve ;D

Don't think that they will cancel the lens, but until it is launched anything is possible. Plus this is a rumor site, so let's have some fun with rumors (as well as giving each other good advise).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
... then you can get on releasing or updating sub-$10k lenses that for the rest of us like an updated 35mm & 50mm prime, maybe a 200mm f2.8 IS macro, ... ?

A 35L II seems very likely, especially given Sigma's excellent 35/1.4.

As for the tele macro, I suspect there's a reason the 180L is f/3.5 and not f/2.8. I think we may see a 200mm f/4L Macro IS at some point...

But of course what we all want (we being RLPhoto, at least) is a 135mm f/1.8L IS. ;)

Upvote 0
I got to play with this lens today at photofest Ireland and the Canon guys seemed truly clueless about anything to do with the production/cost of the lens, they could answer very few of my questions, even ones about the build/design of the lens. But it's a beautiful lens, lighter and smaller than I expected, the shots from it look epic. They were doing A3 prints of SOOC shots from a 1DX with the 200-400 on one of their printers and they looked terrific.

Upvote 0
This must be the most expensive Canon DSLR lens ever made.

I mean specifically expensive to Canon's profit and loss account ie their bottom line.

It should have been out two years ago so presumably they have had a team of engineers for all this time trying to tweak it to an acceptably high standard.

Personally I would have preferred an ultra sharp 400/4 ie a carbon copy of the superlative 300/2.8 II and therefore not to expensive to research and manufacture....but never mind Canon knows better.

Upvote 0
There will be a difficult choice for people buying this lens.

That is whether to buy the new 100-400L (allegedly coming along fast on the outside lane) as well.

The current 100-400L is a damn handy optic to have. The new one will be even sharper and will have IS II BUT will come in at half the weight of the 200-400.

Hand holding the 200-400 for long periods will not be a comforting experience for the older folk depending on individual circumstances of course.

So some clever marketing from Canon could see rich folk buying both!

Upvote 0
Plainsman said:
It should have been out two years ago so presumably they have had a team of engineers for all this time trying to tweak it to an acceptably high standard.

That is acceptable standard for $10k ... no doubt the prototypes that were talked about were great as they were, but obviously Canon doesn't want to release a mk2 in 2015 and is determined to make this one special as in "especially profitable" - and this only works if lots of people buy it so it has to be stellar.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.