EF 24-70 F/2.8L II USM on 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a head to head test of the 24-70ii and the 17-55 on my 7D back in October and found that while the 24-70ii is slightly sharper than the 17-55, there really is nowhere near enough difference to justify the extra cost, lack of IS, and less useful range on crop. The 17-55 is just that great of a lens (aside from the subpar build quality.)

Upvote 0

SJ

I am just an ordinary person who love taking photo
Apr 13, 2012
Kota Kinabalu
www.abidanial.com
Thanks everybody for reply...

1st thing i consider to buy 24-70 II is the IQ (base on review at website, but im not sure how this lens perform on crop sensor because the review base on FF sensor), weather sealed & more extra FL compare than ef-s 17-55.

i heard some people complain about dust in 17-55.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
SJ said:
i heard some people complain about dust in 17-55.

I heard some people complain about Martians stealing the loose change from their couches. I think both complaints can be safely ignored.

IMO, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is the best general purpose zoom for APS-C... But, since you already have the 10-22mm to cover the wide end, the 24-70 II would be a reasonable purchase, and would do well on a 7D.

Upvote 0
kdw75 said:
I was tempted by the 17-55, but I refused to buy a lens that only worked with crop sensor cameras. I did it once with my 60mm Macro, but never again. When I go FF I don't want to have to deal with switching glass.

Hmm, I was about to suggest the Sig 17-70 (and ask if people actually thought it was good as I was considering it myself...)
but guess it does stick as a problem that way. I just went FF, and yet I have an UWA for crop only, so I can't give up my crop yet... means I travel with two camera bodies just to have the range covered.
As for the 24-70ii why not? Again the range is covered with the UWA and at least for me and portraits, the equivalent FF range would be great, and when it comes to IQ, a lens is almost always "better" on a crop for sharpness, distortion, vignetting control etc. Just less DOF control and longer perspective

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
kdw75 said:
I was tempted by the 17-55, but I refused to buy a lens that only worked with crop sensor cameras. I did it once with my 60mm Macro, but never again. When I go FF I don't want to have to deal with switching glass.

IMO, that's like stating, "I refuse to buy the BMW 760Li because it doens't have a towing package option, and I may buy a boat someday." I recommend getting the best lens for what you need to shoot, today, with the body that you have. Now, if you're getting a FF camera next month, that's one thing. But "I may go FF someday, maybe..." isn't a good reason to choose a less appropriate lens, IMO.

Consider the L-series lenses people suggest as general purpose zoom options for APS-C, and keep in mind that a 'general purpose zoom' covers wide angle to short telephoto:

• 24-70 I or II - no wide angle, good IQ, no IS
  • 24-105 - no wide angle, good IQ
  • 16-35 II - no tele, good IQ, no IS
  • 17-40 - just ok IQ, no IS

The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS fit the focal range definition of general purpose on APS-C, and offer excellent IQ (better than the L-series lenses listed above, with the probable exception of the 24-70 II, when comparing them on the same APS-C camera).

Both of those lenses hold their value like L-series lenses - buy one, use it for 2-3 years, and the way lens prices are increasing, you won't take much of a loss (I sold the 10-22mm a year after I bought it, for $50 less than I paid for it new from Amazon).

The only reasons I can see to use one of the L-series lenses are if you shoot both FF and APS-C, are buying FF very soon, or have a 7D and require a weather sealed lens.

Upvote 0
S

SebSic

EF-S 17 - 55 and dust is not just a theory. It is real and even with recent copies.
Dust won't be visible on pictures taken with this lens anyway.
With a 2 years warranty, you could send it back to Canon for a deep cleaning process, if dust +++

IMO, EF 24-70 II, can only be better (IQ) on crop sensors (compared to ff) cause only center of the lens will be used and center is the best part of lense.

Upvote 0

Mendolera

Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
Jul 20, 2011
NY
kdw75 said:

Its a small hassle switching glass but at the same time you don't lose out on the great shots you can get with the lens and body combination you have. The 60mm macro is a great lens for a crop sensor. I had the 100mm Macro on my XSI and felt it was too long for anything but macro so I sold it. The 60mm is more versatile for portraits and other things.

I just sold my 10-22 that I bought for $570 and sold for $525 after owning it for a year. The better EF-S (10-22, 17-55, 15-85, and 60) lens maintain their value almost as well L glass.

On my trip to Dubai I was able to fit the Burj Khalifa in the frame with my 60D/10-22 combination which something I wasn't able to do with my 24-105L at the time.

Upvote 0
If money is no object, then the 24-70 II is as good as it gets in that range. However if speed isnt a concern, for a third of the price a 24-105 can be had. Will be the same quality iq or better as your 10-22. I had the 17-55 on a 7d but after a few months, while it had no effect on the pictures, i could not keep a lens that cost that much which fills with dust. i then went with the 24-105 which i used the majority of the time. With the leftover money you could sell your 7d and get a 5d3. About the same end price....but ultimately yes the 24-70 II will not disappoint, on any camera body!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
17-55mm all the way cracking lens. Unless you plan on going full frame, then i would say get the 24-70mm MKI because the MKII IMO isnt worth another £1000!!!! Insane. Regardless how much better it is it isnt £1000 better.

Mine has suffered from bad dust, but doesn't affect IQ, but mine has shot over 150,000 images and had no filter for half of that. A filter is a must. Wish I had got one to start with, has had no extra dust since i put one on.

Upvote 0
M

magic koala

I've been shooting Xmas card portraits the last 3 weeks and I always bring the people to the same park with the same equipment.
I have the 135mm on the 5DMK3 and the new 24-70mm on the 7D. I prefer the 135mm when I'm outdoors but I have the zoom just in case I need to go a little wide and a little closer.
I don't make money off my photos and I do very little post processing. I can't really tell any difference in practical image quality with the 24-70mm against my 24-105mm and 17-55mm.
Of course, I appreciate the f/2.8 over the f/4, the weight and the build/reach over the 17-55.

I'd say the 24-70mm works great on the 7D but if you're an amateur like me and would like to save some money, other zooms might fit your needs for less money.

I will say that I can tell the difference between the new 24-70mm and the prior 24-70mm. I really disliked using the older version due to its weight and it just was not responsive in low light. I definitely have more keepers wit the new one.

Upvote 0
G

gcmj45acp

SJ said:
Hi everybody,

I have 7D + EF-S 10-22mm & i plan to buy the new EF 24-70 F/2.8L II USM, but im not sure this lens can give the top IQ on crop sensor like 7D.

Anybody 7D owner have this lens? maybe you can share your photo/review about this lens.

Thanks.

From all I've heard, the new 24-70LII is a significant step up from the original 24-70L I have run on my 7D. If that's the case, I think you'll be quite happy. If I knew then what I know now, I don't know that I'd have bothered dumping my 10-22mm since I basically paid twice as much money to get similar performance out of the 16-35LII on my 5DmkII.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

tomscott said:
17-55mm all the way cracking lens. Unless you plan on going full frame, then i would say get the 24-70mm MKI because the MKII IMO isnt worth another £1000!!!! Insane. Regardless how much better it is it isnt £1000 better.
I had bad luck with the 17-55 as the IS motor failed while still under warranty. Image quality was excellent, but my impression was that the lens didn't seem to have a build quality to match its price. The new 24-70 II is expensive, but both image quality and build quality seem to be a match for the price.

Upvote 0
IQ wise it'll be a fine lens on a 7D.

Focal range wise (as most are saying) it'll be weird at best and annoying at worst. Or maybe I just have a stronger opinion about this than most people. But I found the 24-70mm to be very frustrating on my 7D. It is this strange 38.5-112mm range that almost makes it not usable for it's designed purpose. I guess you have the 10-22mm to give you the UWA/WA shots, but it seems it would force you to change lenses a lot.

I'd recommend the EF-S 17-55mm or EF 16-35mm (25.6-56mm) if you have FF plans farther down the road.

Upvote 0

SJ

I am just an ordinary person who love taking photo
Apr 13, 2012
Kota Kinabalu
www.abidanial.com
magic koala said:
I've been shooting Xmas card portraits the last 3 weeks and I always bring the people to the same park with the same equipment.
I have the 135mm on the 5DMK3 and the new 24-70mm on the 7D. I prefer the 135mm when I'm outdoors but I have the zoom just in case I need to go a little wide and a little closer.
I don't make money off my photos and I do very little post processing. I can't really tell any difference in practical image quality with the 24-70mm against my 24-105mm and 17-55mm.
Of course, I appreciate the f/2.8 over the f/4, the weight and the build/reach over the 17-55.

I'd say the 24-70mm works great on the 7D but if you're an amateur like me and would like to save some money, other zooms might fit your needs for less money.

I will say that I can tell the difference between the new 24-70mm and the prior 24-70mm. I really disliked using the older version due to its weight and it just was not responsive in low light. I definitely have more keepers wit the new one.

thanks friend...

actually i start do some wedding photography as a part time job, u can see my work at www.borneocandid.com.
Keep in mind, i still newbie :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.