Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Stop teasing me!

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I know, I know. We keep talking about it and nothing happens. 99% of the stuff that comes in regarding this lens I put to the side.</span></strong></p>
<p>However, a great source has finally spoken up in regards to a replacement. I’m not putting CR3 on it because I don’t have a specific date.</p>
<p>What I am told is the lens is coming “sooner rather than later”. There’s 2 possible announcement dates.</p>
<p>It sounds like it will be launched alone like the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II was. It’ll either be announced before the end of the year, OR just before <a href="http://www.wppionline.com/">WPPI which starts February 17, 2011</a>.</p>
<p>It’s not confirmed it’s going to be an IS lens, though if it wasn’t. I’d be completely shocked.</p>
<p>This is officially the best confirmation I’ve received in regards to this lens.</p>
<p>You will know more the second I know more.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

J

Justin

Maybe an early Jan launch like the 70-200 then. How about a 14-24?

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>Stop teasing me!

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">I know, I know. We keep talking about it and nothing happens. 99% of the stuff that comes in regarding this lens I put to the side.</span></strong></p>
<p>However, a great source has finally spoken up in regards to a replacement. I’m not putting CR3 on it because I don’t have a specific date.</p>
<p>What I am told is the lens is coming “sooner rather than later”. There’s 2 possible announcement dates.</p>
<p>It sounds like it will be launched alone like the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II was. It’ll either be announced before the end of the year, OR just before <a href=\"http://www.wppionline.com/\">WPPI which starts February 17, 2011</a>.</p>
<p>It’s not confirmed it’s going to be an IS lens, though if it wasn’t. I’d be completely shocked.</p>
<p>This is officially the best confirmation I’ve received in regards to this lens.</p>
<p>You will know more the second I know more.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

After waiting for some improved lenses, I have started collecting primes. I can take just one or two on most shoots and find that I like the wider apertures better. I bought the 70-200mm f/2.8 MKII and sent it back when I realized that I just preferred the primes. I suppose it will be the same with the 24-70, but I'll probably try it anyway. I went thru five of the current lenses. and none impressed me.

Upvote 0
O

off topic

If the sensors are going to increase in pixels (30+) the 24-70 is going to need to do a lot more resolving.

IS seems essential if canon is interested in selling this lens to the DSLR video shooters. I also saw an interview stating that the new big white lenses have new special motors for running prepragammed focus pulls but none of the current bodies have the controls to use this function. Which leads me to wild speculation, what about canon adding a motorized zoom to the 24-70? This would not help shave any weight off what is currently a 2lb lens.

Upvote 0
M

macfly

It certainly seems as though there is a place for Canon to go with its still glass that would take it closer to its cine glass, and that would take it closer to competing with the next gen Reds and the H3/H4 etc medium formats. This will certainly be the next major step up for those of us shooting for a living, with more and more clients demanding streaming content. I've gathered that most folks here seem not to be too concerned with working gear, but since I work with mine that is what I'm most interested in.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

There are other working folks here. :) I take your point that Canon has stopped making still photo only dslrs, yet they keep making lenses omtimized for stills. Maybe another line of lens would do, but it seems to me hybrids like you suggest would be a good strategy for most users, weight concerns aside.

:)
macfly said:
It certainly seems as though there is a place for Canon to go with its still glass that would take it closer to its cine glass, and that would take it closer to competing with the next gen Reds and the H3/H4 etc medium formats. This will certainly be the next major step up for those of us shooting for a living, with more and more clients demanding streaming content. I've gathered that most folks here seem not to be too concerned with working gear, but since I work with mine that is what I'm most interested in.

Upvote 0
D

dmisita

It seems to me that a hybrid is typically a compromise at best. It is my guess that they will eventually create a line of cine-optimized SLR lenses, and will just expect you to swap them out. After all, it's not exactly outside the SLR users experience to swap lenses depending upon the needs of the situation.

If the concept cameras are anything to go by, we're all going to be shooting with a big ole' video camera and capturing our stills off of that anyway . . .

Personally, I'd just like to see a replacement with equal or improved IQ, and IS thrown in for good measure. I, too, was just about to pull the trigger on the current model . . .

Justin said:
There are other working folks here. :) I take your point that Canon has stopped making still photo only dslrs, yet they keep making lenses omtimized for stills. Maybe another line of lens would do, but it seems to me hybrids like you suggest would be a good strategy for most users, weight concerns aside.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I hear you but if it is stellar optic it will maintain its value well and will last for years and years. I don't mind paying 50% more for a lens that is 50% better. I think it's fair.

Richard said:
I shutter to think of the price this will command. With the change in the exchange rate in the US Dollar vs. Yen, we are in for some sticker shock. My guess is we will be HAPPY for this to come in under 2K. Can't blame Canon, since they get profits in the end as Yen, and math is math.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.