EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dwward

This has probably been discussed before (sorry I couldn't find it) but is image stabilization really necessary or even desirable in medium zoom like this?

I know Canon is adding IS to the standard zoom line but I really don't see the advantage or desirability on lenses shorter than 135mm. Especially a fast lens. If I'm shooting something so slow I need IS at 70mm than I'm on a tripod anyway.

"Rumors of it's replacement have been greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain

But seriously, there have been rumors for at least 3 years that it is being replaced/upgraded with IS, etc. I honestly think they'll eventually release both a new version, and a version with IS. When? No one but Canon knows.

If you need the lens, I would get it now. If the new version is worth upgrading to, you probably wont lose much (5% ?) when you sell yours since the new version will surely be significantly more expensive.

Upvote 0
D

dwward

It's widely believed that a new 24-70 with IS will be 'considerably more expensive', but as a practical matter, how much more expensive will the market support?

The current version carries an MSRP of $1400 making it the most expensive lens in it's category by a significant margin. The 24-105 (admittedly a slower lens) is $150 less and already includes IS.

Is there enough of a market for a standard zoom at $1900 or $2000 to justify the R&D and production costs for a new lens?

I will concede that I do not have the years of experience that many of you folks do, and I'm very interested in your insights, but it seems to me that there is a market driven limit to a price increase for a new lens that will hold it to $250 or so.

It's entirely possible that I'm just naive.

Upvote 0
dwward said:
P.S. Sorry, I meant to add: I've decided I'm going to buy this lens. I'm waiting until April and if there is nothing definitive about an update, I'm going to buy the current version.

If a new version is released in conjunction with a 5DM3, I will probably buy the kit hoping to save a few bucks on both the camera and the lens.

It would be nice, but I doubt the 5D3 will have this as a kit lens; especially with IS it would just be too expensive of a lens, and would probably put the kit in the $3800-4000 range. I think an updated 24-105/4L would be much more likely.

Upvote 0
D

dwward

bvukich said:
It would be nice, but I doubt the 5D3 will have this as a kit lens; especially with IS it would just be too expensive of a lens, and would probably put the kit in the $3800-4000 range. I think an updated 24-105/4L would be much more likely.

I hadn't thought about it this way, but of course you're right. The 24/70 is too expensive, heavy and specialized to be offered as a kit lens.

Ok, so come April if there is no update to the 24-70 I'm buying the current version.

It's amazing how much people pay for used lenses on eBay. If a new one comes out you can sell the old version for 90% of retail, assuming you retain the orginal box, packaging, etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.