EF 600mm F4 DO

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Don Haines said:
snoke said:
What sport you use 500mm or 600mm or 400, 500, 600 with 1x tele?

I assume that you mean a 1.4X tele......

and any sport that you are more than 50 meters from the athletes....

and skunk racing..... you REALLY want a long lens for skunk racing.....

Love it Don!

Thanks.

Scott

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
GoldWing said:
djack41 said:
The 600mm F4 DO can help put Canon back in the game. Add a built in 1.4X tele, like the EF 200-400 F4, and the greatest sports and wildlife lens will be born.

I really don't want a TC on my primes. I'll own one 200-400 with a 1.4 but that's it. I see the difference when using my primes and so do my editors. Why pay for great glass and dumb it down?

I guess if Canon adds a built in 1.4 to the 600DO you can ask them for a custom version w/o the 1.4. You'll save the price of the 1.4 but pay a bit extra to have a custom lens made.

Based upon my experience with the 200-400 with the 1.4x built in, nearly every photographer I have meet, both Canon and Nikon shooters, find it valuable.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
djack41 said:
AdamBotond said:
I don't think it is going to happen in the nearest future, not at F4 at least. I agree however, that primes with built-in 1,4x or even 2x extenders should be really considered by Canon. A 400mm 2.8 with built-in 1,4 and 2x would be a game changer for sports and wildlife.
A
Yes, a 400mm 2.8 with a integrated 1.4x would be nice. But Canon has been displaying a prototype EF 600mm F4 DO at the trade shows for more than a year. I own a EF 600mm F4 which is fantastic but quite heavy. The prototype EF 600mm DO is compact and very hand-holdable. An integrated 1.4x on a 600 DO would be over-the-top good.
I shoot mostly wildlife but the 600mm is also a great lens for many sports and Canon's 2nd most popular lens in its loaner program during the recent Olympics.

Agree that the 600 DO w/ integrated extender (1.2, 1.4, or even 1.7) would be very nice. Ideally I would like to see a combination 1.2 and 1.4 integrated extender so you could use either or both (to get 1.7). I imagine that this would be a huge challenge and in the end it might not be cost effective. Just wonder if Canon engineers ever designed such a lens or even built a prototype.

BTW - where did you get you information of Olympic lenses?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RGF said:
djack41 said:
AdamBotond said:
I don't think it is going to happen in the nearest future, not at F4 at least. I agree however, that primes with built-in 1,4x or even 2x extenders should be really considered by Canon. A 400mm 2.8 with built-in 1,4 and 2x would be a game changer for sports and wildlife.
A
Yes, a 400mm 2.8 with a integrated 1.4x would be nice. But Canon has been displaying a prototype EF 600mm F4 DO at the trade shows for more than a year. I own a EF 600mm F4 which is fantastic but quite heavy. The prototype EF 600mm DO is compact and very hand-holdable. An integrated 1.4x on a 600 DO would be over-the-top good.
I shoot mostly wildlife but the 600mm is also a great lens for many sports and Canon's 2nd most popular lens in its loaner program during the recent Olympics.

Agree that the 600 DO w/ integrated extender (1.2, 1.4, or even 1.7) would be very nice. Ideally I would like to see a combination 1.2 and 1.4 integrated extender so you could use either or both (to get 1.7). I imagine that this would be a huge challenge and in the end it might not be cost effective. Just wonder if Canon engineers ever designed such a lens or even built a prototype.

The 600 DO w/integrated extender will nullify its purpose as far as weight and size are concerned.

Upvote 0
GoldWing said:
Jopa said:
GoldWing said:
djack41 said:
The 600mm F4 DO can help put Canon back in the game. Add a built in 1.4X tele, like the EF 200-400 F4, and the greatest sports and wildlife lens will be born.

I really don't want a TC on my primes. I'll own one 200-400 with a 1.4 but that's it. I see the difference when using my primes and so do my editors. Why pay for great glass and dumb it down?

I wasn't aware that Canon is out of the game...

Canon "IS the game". Everyone else plays catch-up. To keep it that way.... let us keep our amazing world class primes pure. I'd rather own a 2.8 300 & 400 "as I do" than throw a 1.4TC on my 300 for 420. I see the difference and anyone who matters to me professionally can see the difference too. This glass is an investment. If the glass is sold... it will still keep much of it's value. I like to 200-400 but IMHO my big white primes are superior. I'd rather soot with an f/4 600mm than my 200-400 with the 1.4 TC kicked in... Perhaps it's just me!

Yeah, just you.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
tron said:
RGF said:
djack41 said:
AdamBotond said:
A

The 600 DO w/integrated extender will nullify its purpose as far as weight and size are concerned.

Really??? A 600 DO w/ an integrated 1.4 will be the same size and weight as the non-DO 600 F4 + separate 1.4 extender (for weight comparison)?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It would almost weight the same as 600 4L IS II without extender. For the simple reason that the prototype (without IS, extender, electronics for diaphragm) weighted about 3.2 Kg. So add all these and it will come dangerously close to the 3.9 of 600 II. Tell me what good it does for someone who does not need to use the extender a lot. They would carry the same weight!

And it would negate the size advantages considerably. Without extender the prototype was shorter than even the 500 (31 or 2 vs 38cm). Add the extender and it looses quite the appeal in portability.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
tron said:
It would almost weight the same as 600 4L IS II without extender. For the simple reason that the prototype (without IS, extender, electronics for diaphragm) weighted about 3.2 Kg. So add all these and it will come dangerously close to the 3.9 of 600 II. Tell me what good it does for someone who does not need to use the extender a lot. They would carry the same weight!

And it would negate the size advantages considerably. Without extender the prototype was shorter than even the 500 (31 or 2 vs 38cm). Add the extender and it looses quite the appeal in portability.

Wonder if the final production version will be even lighter. I hope so

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RGF said:
tron said:

Wonder if the final production version will be even lighter. I hope so
As another forum member commented on the new telephoto patents thread weight cannot be minimized a lot since the diameter of the front element cannot change. The gains are mostly in length. For me these gains are super desirable because a shorter length makes handholding much easier by keeping my left hand closer to my body. I had used my 500 4 IS II 1.5 hours intermitently like that and I felt fatigue in my left hand for two months afterwards. I hope too it will be as light and as short as possible.

Upvote 0