EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II strange IS noise - does the lens need to be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine did the same and I sent it back to B&H. The replacement lens does not do this. Others have reported the same issue (noise with vibration when starting IS) and Canon has replaced/repaired them.

Not my video, but youtube has some of this issue:

Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM II -IS NOISE

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930

Upvote 0
I bought recently 70-200 f/2.8 II lens. Image quality is simply great! But USM makes noticeable noise while auto-focusing. Like internals are scrubbing.

My 24-105 and 24mm USM lenses is much quieter.

I have heard this is IS making noise on 70-200 lenses, but in audio below IS is completely turned off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo4uf70cdl6jhbk/70-200%20noise.mp3

Sound is the same while holding camera both in landscape and portrait mode.

Can someone check it please and say should I worry about and replace it?

Upvote 0
Minor hijacking since I'm not allowed to start a new post ( thanks CanonRumors )... I just received a Canon 85 1.4L/IS and it makes a very noticeable clacking noise when the IS engages/disengages. Much louder than my 70-200 IS and 100 IS lenses... Lens seems to work fine, just seems cheap/clunky to me with that noise. I'd feel self-conscious if I was shooting a wedding ceremony during the quiet parts! Trying to figure out if that's normal for that lens or an issue. And if it's an issue, should I send back to B&H or send to Canon

Upvote 0
shizam1 said:
Minor hijacking since I'm not allowed to start a new post ( thanks CanonRumors )... I just received a Canon 85 1.4L/IS and it makes a very noticeable clacking noise when the IS engages/disengages. Much louder than my 70-200 IS and 100 IS lenses... Lens seems to work fine, just seems cheap/clunky to me with that noise. I'd feel self-conscious if I was shooting a wedding ceremony during the quiet parts! Trying to figure out if that's normal for that lens or an issue. And if it's an issue, should I send back to B&H or send to Canon

I don't know if I'd call it clacking, but it does make a fairly audible sound when it activates/deactivates, and yes it is louder than the 100L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. It caught me by surprise the first time I used it. However it is silent as long as the IS is active. During an interview with Canon executives (link was provided in this forum), it was revealed that the 85 f/1.4L IS has one of the larger IS units (comparable to the 300 f/2.8). I think of it as a trade off between noise and how it long it takes to stabilize. If it performs as expected, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
I don't know if I'd call it clacking, but it does make a fairly audible sound when it activates/deactivates, and yes it is louder than the 100L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. It caught me by surprise the first time I used it. However it is silent as long as the IS is active. During an interview with Canon executives (link was provided in this forum), it was revealed that the 85 f/1.4L IS has one of the larger IS units (comparable to the 300 f/2.8). I think of it as a trade off between noise and how it long it takes to stabilize. If it performs as expected, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the input! It does seem to work perfectly, I was just surprised with how loud the activation/deactivation of the IS was. During operation, it is silent. I think I just read that same article you mentioned, and the IS motor is much larger than the one in the 100mm Macro, so that's probably why. I was just nervous that something was wrong, but I'm going to assume it's normal and just "beefy" :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.