EF-S Prime lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
davidchang said:
besides the 60mm f/2.8 macro?
snowweasel said:
There's at least one I know of off the top of my head (because I own it) the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro.

! I was just browsing the EF-S section on the Canon site but the 60mm isn't listed - but it is listed in the Macro section (which I didn't check before posting this!) so I apologise for that!

but still, only one EF-S prime? seems a bit crazy I think

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
EF-S lenses, generically speaking from a marketing perspective, are aimed at the consumer market. Today's consumers vastly prefer zooms over primes. However, the 50/1.8 II is a popular lens (primarily due to its low cost), so I can see an EF-S 30mm or 35mm f/1.8 lens at some point - but for it to sell well, it will need to be cheap.

If Canon does release EF-S primes other than the 1:1 macro, I'd expect them to be low-end consumer grade lenses.

Upvote 0
a prime lens specifically designed for APS-C (i.e. without the restriction that it has to cover a bigger image circle, and keep IQ in its edges too) could be cheaper and offer better IQ

if I put it in front of my PS's small sensor, my best Leica primes are decidedly soft in comparison with the probably-plastic lens in that $150 camera

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
EF-S lenses, generically speaking from a marketing perspective, are aimed at the consumer market. Today's consumers vastly prefer zooms over primes. However, the 50/1.8 II is a popular lens (primarily due to its low cost), so I can see an EF-S 30mm or 35mm f/1.8 lens at some point - but for it to sell well, it will need to be cheap.

If Canon does release EF-S primes other than the 1:1 macro, I'd expect them to be low-end consumer grade lenses.

Canon do have the advanatge that there EF 35mm f/2 seems to hold up somewhat better than Nikon's FX version, I'd guess they may well be happy keeping a smaller lens lineup and charging that much extra.

One other potential EF-S prime to me seems to be an UWA considering your currently struggling to get under 17mm without spending $450+ on a lens. Would say a 12mm prime with a relatively modest appature(say 3.5 or 4) offer potential cost savings? If so I see that as being a big advanatge to any manifacturer who can come up with one.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Canon 60/2.8 macro
Tamron 60/2 macro
Sigma 30/1.4
Samyang 8 mm fish-eye

But yes indeed they are rare. In many cases it's just as easy to let the lens project a FF image circle. For example, there's no point in an EF-S 300/4, and even EF-S 85/1.8 would be questionable when there s a cheap, small and optically good FF lens that does the job. But for shorter focal lengths there's a void.

I think lens manufacturers are really missing the boat. I think a cheap 30/1.8 would sell really well. I think there's a market for a 15/2.8 with top-notch optics, for example.

Upvote 0
Daniel Flather said:
The ef 35/2.0 on a crop has a FOV of a 56.7mm lens*, but a perspective of a 35 wide angle lens. Hence the want for an efs-prime.
*1.62 crop factor

Maybe it's not a big enough of a market for Canon to make it profitable. It'd be easier for Sigma and other 3rd party manufacturers because they have lower costs than Canon and they have a potentially larger base (Canon + Nikon crop users).

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
Daniel Flather said:
The ef 35/2.0 on a crop has a FOV of a 56.7mm lens*, but a perspective of a 35 wide angle lens. Hence the want for an efs-prime.
*1.62 crop factor

Maybe it's not a big enough of a market for Canon to make it profitable. It'd be easier for Sigma and other 3rd party manufacturers because they have lower costs than Canon and they have a potentially larger base (Canon + Nikon crop users).

Yes, but I'm on the 5d3 list and will be selling my 50D, so, for me, crop issues are now moot —yes.

Upvote 0
Daniel Flather said:
Random Orbits said:

Yes, but I'm on the 5d3 list and will be selling my 50D, so, for me, crop issues are now moot —yes.

LOL! Hopefully, I'll be moving FF within the year too. Just waiting for the side-by-side comparisons between the 5DII and 5DIII before deciding on one.

Upvote 0
J

Jettatore

I assume there is less glass (smaller diameter of the glass) in an EF-S lens, so there is probably some cost savings there??? But other than this, unless it really is a big cost savings, what's the point of EF-S vs. just making a 31.25 EF lens (that after 1.6x crop multiplication becomes a 50mm on a 1.6 crop body...). I ask because I'd rather have a lens that will functionally work on both a 7D and a 5D than one that will only work on a 7D or rebel.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.