Emulating in-camera double exposure in Photoshop?

Nov 12, 2016
I'm referring specifically to the "average" setting in the double exposure function in the higher-end DSLRs. I have an image that I took using the camera's double exposure method, set to average, but also saved the original photos. I wanted to tweak each image separately before mashing them together. What would the equivalent blending of two images be within Photoshop CC? I assumed that pasting one image as a layer on top of another, and then adjusting that layer's fill and opacity would give the same results as what the "average" setting does in the camera's double exposure mode.

I can't put my finger on it, but the images don't quite look blended in Photoshop the same way they did when doing it in the camera. So what would the equivalent of the double exposure in camera set to average be within Photoshop? Thanks.

Nov 12, 2016
Yeah, as I said, I've been able to get some double exposure type effects, but they don't seem quite the same as what I'm able to achieve in camera. I'm not sure why. But it would be nice to be able to tweak the images separately, then merge them, and have it be the same "type" of double exposure as what the camera is doing. Again, I had the camera set to "average" when it was giving me the type of effect I liked.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Kit Lens Jockey said:
Yeah, as I said, I've been able to get some double exposure type effects, but they don't seem quite the same as what I'm able to achieve in camera. I'm not sure why. But it would be nice to be able to tweak the images separately, then merge them, and have it be the same "type" of double exposure as what the camera is doing. Again, I had the camera set to "average" when it was giving me the type of effect I liked.

i don't know what an "average" setting in a camera would do, so I can't help you there.

If you wanted to emulate a double exposure made in a film camera, I think that would be done by having the upper layer set to "Screen" blending. In the camera light would be added to an existing exposure, which is pretty much what "Screen" does. On film you might underexpose each shot to compensate, so you could work on each layer separately to emulate underexposure.

Upvote 0