Ended: Adobe Creative Cloud 12 Month Photography Plan $89 (Reg $119)

Nov 4, 2011
Re: Deal: Adobe Creative Cloud 12 Month Photography Plan $89 (Reg $119)

CincyFlyer said:
AvTvM said:
thanks, but no thanks. I do not rent software. Especially not from a ´landlord`like Adobe.

Actually, you never have more than a "lease" on any software. Period. You never own it!

legally you are right. however, in practical terms I "own" every piece of software on my PC and I can and will do with whatever I want ... for as long as I want.
What irks me most, that the CC model wants to force feed me PS. I don't want PS. I hate it. Bothersome bloatware. All I ever use is LR. My legal perpetual LR 5 license cost me € 79 ... 3 years ago ... less than 1 year's rent. And I can and will use it until I buy an unsupported camera. Then it will be good bye Adobe.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

kaitlyn2004 said:
My adobe CC is coming up for renewal. Can I buy this and apply it a few months from now, so both later from purchase AND to an existing subscription?

Yes. Buy it now and register the purchase now and your account will reflect no more payments due until the end of your current subscription plus the new 12 months. I did the same thing a few months ago with the last similar offer.

If you buy two subscriptions now and register them you get 24 months with nothing more to pay.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014

I wonder how Apple and Windows users would feel if they had to lease their operating systems on a monthly basis....."sorry, we cannot allow you to access your files until you renew your license key. Click here to renew over the network."

Windows 10 Pro = $9.99 per month.
Apple OS X El Capitan = $29.99 per month.

I'm sure that the market stock prices would surge with the flooding of an untapped user base! ::) ;D

P.S. Calm down....it's only a joke! Sheesh! :p

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

et31 said:
I wonder how Apple and Windows users would feel if they had to lease their operating systems on a monthly basis....."sorry, we cannot allow you to access your files until you renew your license key. Click here to renew over the network."

I'm sure that the market stock prices would surge with the flooding of an untapped user base! ::) ;D

No it isn't. Windows for bulk licenses are already monthly pay as you go, they have floated the idea of making that the default method going forwards for domestic too, it will be a few years, but it is 100% coming. On the other hand Apple see the OS from a different angle, but if they can do monthly they will too.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

As a couple others have posted, I actually do the CC deal for LR only as well.

Unless if something has changed, even once one lets the CC subscription expire, you still get to keep whatever latest version of LR you have downloaded. At that point it is nearly a wash vs just buying LR outright, especially knowing you have 1 year of free upgrades.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

Luds34 said:
As a couple others have posted, I actually do the CC deal for LR only as well.

Unless if something has changed, even once one lets the CC subscription expire, you still get to keep whatever latest version of LR you have downloaded. At that point it is nearly a wash vs just buying LR outright, especially knowing you have 1 year of free upgrades.

IIRC once you don't pay to renew subscription, you can still view your images and efits made to them, but you cannot process new images with it. quite a difference to buying a perpetual license that will be fully functional for as long as it is installed on the PC.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado

et31 said:

Why would OS X cost more? OS X has been free for years now...

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA

grainier said:
mnclayshooter said:
To rehash what's been said before:

You forget hardware upgrades you need to do on Adobe's schedule. And let's not forget that there will come a day when they will drop support for Windows 7 and force you to move to the abomination that is 10.

Fair points - add them to the negatives list.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA

privatebydesign said:
kaitlyn2004 said:
My adobe CC is coming up for renewal. Can I buy this and apply it a few months from now, so both later from purchase AND to an existing subscription?

Yes. Buy it now and register the purchase now and your account will reflect no more payments due until the end of your current subscription plus the new 12 months. I did the same thing a few months ago with the last similar offer.

If you buy two subscriptions now and register them you get 24 months with nothing more to pay.

Just in case someone is wondering - the deal is only good on one copy at a time. I haven't tested making a second separate purchase with the same account, but your cart is limited to 1 copy per purchase with the promo deal. Presumably a second account or guest checkout would work as well. 8)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

The biggest negative, and proven by a lack of improvements in PS CC, is the loss of incentive for Adobe to innovate.

Yes, PS CC has new ways of using Content Aware, as in automatically applying it to corners when cropping, and has introduced a new interface for enhancing selections, but the actual tech behind these key features does not seem to have improved at all over PS CS5. I think Content Aware and the selection tools are no smarter.

LR allows the entire history state to be saved and returned to after the program has been shut down. Photoshop, likely due to accumulated encumbrances from its original (now ancient) coding, can't offer the same extremely useful feature.

Blur galleries...Ok, nice, they were functional as Smart Objects with a registry edit back in PS CS5.

So, regardless of whether the consumer sees the payment plan and rental policy as a pain or a blessing, Adobe sees no need to innovate when bringing out upgrades.

Which is why the subscription model is truly bad for consumers.

Adobe apologists refuted all this when CC began, or just said critics were being negative without evidence. Now we have years of evidence. Adobe hit the dead end of coding PS CS and decided, rather than building something great and new from the ground up, to just lock in current and future users with a subscription plan.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

YuengLinger said:
The biggest negative, and proven by a lack of improvements in PS CC, is the loss of incentive for Adobe to innovate.

Yes, PS CC has new ways of using Content Aware, as in automatically applying it to corners when cropping, and has introduced a new interface for enhancing selections, but the actual tech behind these key features does not seem to have improved at all over PS CS5. I think Content Aware and the selection tools are no smarter.

LR allows the entire history state to be saved and returned to after the program has been shut down. Photoshop, likely due to accumulated encumbrances from its original (now ancient) coding, can't offer the same extremely useful feature.

Blur galleries...Ok, nice, they were functional as Smart Objects with a registry edit back in PS CS5.

So, regardless of whether the consumer sees the payment plan and rental policy as a pain or a blessing, Adobe sees no need to innovate when bringing out upgrades.

Nonsense, there have been a multitude of new and enhanced features. I am surprised at the differences whenever I have to use CS6 now.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

privatebydesign said:
YuengLinger said:

Nonsense, there have been a multitude of new and enhanced features. I am surprised at the differences whenever I have to use CS6 now.

PBD, as one of the most passionate advocates of the CC model, perhaps you could give some examples of true performance improvements? Do you deny that Content Aware and selection are no better than in PS CS5?

Adding "a multitude of" twinkly lights to the shrubs in front of a house doesn't do anything to improve the house...Or does it?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
YuengLinger said:

PBD, as one of the most passionate advocates of the CC model, perhaps you could give some examples of true performance improvements? Do you deny that Content Aware and selection are no better than in PS CS5?

Adding "a multitude of" twinkly lights to the shrubs in front of a house doesn't do anything to improve the house...Or does it?

Of course it does, just ask any realtor about curb appeal!

But you misunderstand me, I am not particularly a fan of the subscription model, I am pragmatic enough to understand that Adobe had to do it. Their revenue stream was unsustainable and they couldn't spend time and money on background programming because all people ever want is headline 'new features'. I also find the never ending hate fest towards Adobe completely unwarranted and it says far more about the hecklers than the company.

As to specific features, well of course that depends on how you use it. Personally I'd pay a normal upgrade price for the difference between CS6 and CC versions of Smart Sharpening, it was completely reworked and though the buttons are the same the results are quite different. Dehaze is a great feature, it is new and not in CS6 or Lightroom 6 standalone. Another feature I would play a traditional upgrade for is resizing, the up sampling in CC is way better than previous versions with lots more controls on detail and noise and something I use often to get decent print resolution.

Integration across the suite has been dramatically changed, Lightroom Mobile, Content Aware Crop (indeed lots of Content Aware feature upgrades), real time Healing Brush, Perspective Warp. Some features the average enthusiast photographer may never use, but PS was always primarily a professional tool, things like Linked Smart Objects can save literally days of work. Focus mask can be emulated in a very long and roundabout method in CS6 but is more natural and easier in CC. 3D printer output! Sure you, or I, might never use it, but it is there now and is a professional tool upgrade. Libraries, Artboards, The list goes on and on though personal need for any single feature will vary.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Northstar said:
I’m looking to make a change (still using Aperture for most of my work)

This is tempting....BUT, a friend recently told me how much he likes Photo Mechanic.

Does anybody else use Photo Mechanic and if so do you like it?

Thx,
North

Photo mechanic is not an editing suit, it is a high volume ingesting and cataloging program that is targeted at high volume fast turnaround primarily JPEG shooting working photographers. Think high volume sports and the like.

It is no re-lace meant for an editor and I don't know of anybody who doesn't have Lightroom as well.

Thanks Private...good advice as usual.
I do mainly sports /fast turn so it makes sense now why he suggested it to me. But I need the editing, so the search continues.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

I'm still at CS6, and also don't see anything super compelling for me to drop it and move into the *rental* software mode just yet.

I have been giving Affinity Photo a workout, and a few quirks aside, I find it to be probably the best PS competitor out there. It is MUCH faster on most things than PS, likely due to not having such an backlog of old code having to be moved forward, etc.

If you don't like the rental model, give it a try. The windows beta version is out now I believe. For about $50 or so for the Mac, I find it to be worth it...give it a try as an alternative to the PS rental model.

Upvote 0