Ended: Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS $4559 (Reg $5699)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The Canon store has refurbished copies of the EF 200mm f/2L IS lens for $4559 (Reg $5699), this is without a doubt my favourite Canon lens.</p>
<p><del><strong><a href="http://bit.ly/1QMzSzF">Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS $4559</a> </strong>(Reg $5699)</del></p>
<p>This lens comes with a full 1 year Canon warranty. You can check out more <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-store-refurbished-fathers-day-sale-on-lenses-cameras/">Canon Father’s Day deals here</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Re: Deal: Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS $4559 (Reg $5699)

mnclayshooter said:
pshhtt... not that great of a deal... Doesn't come with a dust cap or lens cap. ;D

Includes:
EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens
Lens Case 200
Lens Hood ET-120B
EF Instruction Book
One Year Limited Warranty Card
Drop-In Gelatin Filter Holder 52
Lens Wide Strap
:)

A steal... Cheapest recent sale on eBay was a used one at $4180 shipped from Switzerland...

Upvote 0

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014

Canon Rumors said:
<p>The Canon store has refurbished copies of the EF 200mm f/2L IS lens for $4559 (Reg $5699), this is without a doubt my favourite Canon lens.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://bit.ly/1QMzSzF">Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS $4559</a> </strong>(Reg $5699)</p>
<p>This lens comes with a full 1 year Canon warranty. You can check out more <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-store-refurbished-fathers-day-sale-on-lenses-cameras/">Canon Father’s Day deals here</a>.</p>

Why is this your favorite lens? I have 70-200 mk2 and 300 2.8 mk2 amongst many. Both good lenses. Why is this. "without a doubt my favourite Canon lens"? Just curious, and wondering what I am missing out on? Is it the portrait bokeh and DOF from long distance and wide open? Thanks for any info. Post a couple pics?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong><a href="http://bit.ly/1QMzSzF">Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS $4559</a> </strong>(Reg $5699)</p>

This lens is absolutely on my wish list. Since I am leaning strongly towards the portrait and fine art world to find my niche, I am sure it would be one of my favs also. From what I've read it is a remarkable lens. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

LovePhotography said:
Canon Rumors said:

Why is this your favorite lens? I have 70-200 mk2 and 300 2.8 mk2 amongst many. Both good lenses. Why is this. "without a doubt my favourite Canon lens"? Just curious, and wondering what I am missing out on? Is it the portrait bokeh and DOF from long distance and wide open? Thanks for any info. Post a couple pics?

It is entirely subjective. We like what we like. There will be arguments both ways about why this is or is not somebody's favorite lens.

What is your favorite, and why?

Like any lens, used properly and with skill... this one really shines. Certainly better than the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II (Two completely different animals). I base this on the fact that if I set my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II at 135mm... it just doesn't quite compare to my 135 f/2L.

I have no idea concerning the 300. Don't know how practical the 300 would be for portraits. Some say the 200mm f/2L isn't practical for portraits. I think it would be okay. I sometimes use the 70-200 @ 200mm for portraits. However, I like the 135 f/2L much more.

Here's a link to photos. Some fantastic, some blah. Depends on who took them and the skill level of the photographer.

However, the 200 f/2L is a great lens. I think, though, one could get very similar results with a 135mm f/2L. I'd still buy the 200 f/2... just to find out for myself.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/721201@N25/pool/

Upvote 0

I stay up ..late at night ...looking for rumors of the mk II coming..
I want it... but it is OLD... old I.S. system..
and no blue goo...

still the sirens.... draw me to the rocks.....

what is the status as far as ... possible updates...age of lens?
(he said ....while getting ready to press the PURCHASE button)

the 135 f2 is the short version...w/o I.S.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010

TommyLee said:
I stay up ..late at night ...looking for rumors of the mk II coming..
I want it... but it is OLD... old I.S. system..
and no blue goo...

still the sirens.... draw me to the rocks.....

what is the status as far as ... possible updates...age of lens?
(he said ....while getting ready to press the PURCHASE button)

the 135 f2 is the short version...w/o I.S.

This lens and the 800 aren't even 8 years old now. They aren't "Mark II" since there never was a mark I for either of those lenses. They both have the same 4 stop IS of the Mark II supertelephotos but not the IS3 modes. I wouldn't expect a new version for several more years at the earliest.

Upvote 0

I wanted this lens for f2, I may throw on a teleconverter now and then but the sole reason I wanted it is to shoot at f2 at 200mm, however f2 sucks up light and even with some cloud I found it can easy max out my 5d3s shutter, ISO is rammed to 100 and images can be easy to overexpose outside, but the images have been dreamy! I agree the 135 is a better focal length and I intend to add one to my bag, I guess most will not know or care what glass was used to get "the shot" but it satisfies me to know haha, like the 11-24/4 this lens is worthy of display, it's a buitiful lump of gear, perfect in so many ways, watching the IS from down the lens you can really see where it gets it acclaimed number of stops, the IS swings around as you struggle to handle its bulk and stair down the barrel, the light reflects off of each element and shows all the colours of the coatings canon used in its construction, the overall effect is mesmerising.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

arthurbikemad said:
I wanted this lens for f2, I may throw on a teleconverter now and then but the sole reason I wanted it is to shoot at f2 at 200mm, however f2 sucks up light and even with some cloud I found it can easy max out my 5d3s shutter, ISO is rammed to 100 and images can be easy to overexpose outside, but the images have been dreamy! I agree the 135 is a better focal length and I intend to add one to my bag, I guess most will not know or care what glass was used to get "the shot" but it satisfies me to know haha, like the 11-24/4 this lens is worthy of display, it's a buitiful lump of gear, perfect in so many ways, watching the IS from down the lens you can really see where it gets it acclaimed number of stops, the IS swings around as you struggle to handle its bulk and stair down the barrel, the light reflects off of each element and shows all the colours of the coatings canon used in its construction, the overall effect is mesmerising.

:) I find f/2 especially fun right after sundown, right before sunrise, and then shooting into some dark background with the sunlight filtering through from behind. That's where I like it. Shot in the shade with some flash, right at sundown with the sun behind. I've been laid up for quite a while so can't wait (4-6 more months) to get going again.

This one is with the 135 f/2L @ f/2. Not perfect, but still nice. I've posted this before.

I'd really love to try this sort of thing with the 200 f/2L. I might be tempted to rent it for a few days. I just do not think my 70-200 f/2.8L could match it.

A long distance friend of mine like's the 135 better.

Attachments

• Celia 7 WEB.jpg
    Celia 7 WEB.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 0