Ended: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $1704 (Reg $3699)

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
looks like cameras with moving mirrors in the lightpath are not so much in demand any longer these days.

And even at this "ultra low" price Canon will still be making a profit. It reveals how grossly inflated MSRPs really are.
You have zero idea whether or not this camera will be turning a profit at this price. Zero idea.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Do we know each other? How do you know I am a pixel peeper?

Because of your comments regarding 5D4 vs 5Dsr noise and high ISO. You have to pixel peep unprocessed images for the differences to seem significant. Base ISO shadow noise when pushed I'll give you. The 5D4 is easily 1ev better...a little more in fact...and comparable to Sony/Nikon sensors on base ISO shadow recovery. (But the 5Dsr sensor is still decent here.)

Sorry, it's just that the "5Ds/sr noisy bad" urban legend irritates me, much like the "Sony DR sooo important" meme.

Not to knock the 5D4 or R. They have excellent IQ and more features and are likely the better choice for most photographers. But a tiny bit of extra noise at ISO 12800 (along with extra detail and sharpness if we're honest) does not diminish what the 5Ds/sr can do. For a few years they were the pinnacle of 35mm format IQ, and are still a match for the 42/45/50mp sensors from other vendors available today. $1,704 for something that can trade punches with a MF $5k Pentax 645Z is a steal for anyone interested in very large, very detailed prints.

I'm looking forward to Canon's next high resolution monster.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Pretty simple. Look at price difference between 6D II and this 5DSR sales price. It more than covers difference in sensor cost. And Canon is not selling 6D II at a loss either.
Simple, except that we don't know the sensor cost differential (Well, apparently you have this special knowledge) or what either camera cost to R&D, manufacture or keep on the shelves. I have a strong suspicion the sales volume of each is vastly different too, which would make the 5DSR a much more expensive camera on Canon's end. Like comparing apples and oranges. However, it is a great price.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Pretty simple. Look at price difference between 6D II and this 5DSR sales price. It more than covers difference in sensor cost. And Canon is not selling 6D II at a loss either.
So, by "profit" you mean revenue minus BoM prices? No R&D costs, no marketing costs, no distribution costs, no service costs... even no labor costs? So, something even more misleading than gross profit?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
"final sales" prices for excess inventory / end-of-life products can go as low as marginal cost of product. Not including any overheads, R&D cost, etc. Just direct, variable cost (materials, labour, ) incurred to manufacture those very units sitting in warehouses along the sales channel like bricks. :)
In fact, if the goal is to dump inventory, the price can be as low as it takes, even below the marginal cost of production.

Upvote 0
I have never heard of a bad experience from a CR reader about buying from 6ave. They have a 99.6% approval rating.

All I will say that they used to have a B&M location and I had one of the worst possible retail experiences ever. They have been investigated and indicted by the NJ State Attorney General's office.

Look at the wikipedia entry.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 5DS and 5DSR are being sold in the UK by a top rated grey market dealer at a similar price. Absolute bargains.
I fell for this and ordered my second 5DsR from probably that top rated UK grey market dealer for 1500 pounds plus shipping. It is the same dealer I got my previous 5DsR and my 5DIV (as well as my now sold two 5DIII cameras). The reason is I do not know whether there will be a version II 5DsR and BREXIT is possibly close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I fell for this and ordered my second 5DsR from probably that top rated UK grey market dealer for 1500 pounds plus shipping. It is the same dealer I got my previous 5DsR and my 5DIV (as well as my now sold two 5DIII cameras). The reason is I do not know whether there will be a version II 5DsR and BREXIT is possibly close.
I was really tempted but am hanging in a while longer. A slightly upgraded 5DSR sensor (better DR at low iso) in a slightly upgraded 5DIV body (to give its better buffering, more AF points and a little better AF) would keep me happy. But, I am fully satisfied with the IQ the 5DSR gives me - it's still up to all the competition - and it has the capability for birds in flight that the R does not yet have. If Canon does not cater in future for our area, then it would be of real concern.
As for Brexit...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
All articles point to an EOS RS body which will have undoubtedly a better sensor and higher resolution than EOS 5DsR but it will be mirrorless. Goodbye birding! If that is the case I will have 2 5DsR bodies. If there will be a 5DsR II I will probably be able to sell one body (the current one has probably less than 30K shutter actuations. That was the thought that drove me to buy my second 5DsR (that and the very good price of course!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
All articles point to an EOS RS body which will have undoubtedly a better sensor and higher resolution than EOS 5DsR but it will be mirrorless. Good buy birding! If that is the case I will have 2 5DsR bodies. If there will be a 5DsR II I will probably be able to sell one body (the current one has probably less than 30K shutter actuations. That was the thought that drove me to buy my second 5DsR (that and the very good price of course!).
Agreed. I'd use a Canon with the AF of the A9, but like you I wouldn't be happy with a high resolution R that has AF only as capable as the R for the photography we do. Unfortunately, the auto spell checker has put in an amusing typo: I am sure you meant Goodbye birding and not the RS would be a good buy for birding ;)!

Upvote 0