Ended: This is the last day to save on the revolutionary Peak Design Travel Tripod

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Peak Design is no stranger to extremely successful Kickstarter campaigns, as such, we only promote companies that have been previously successful in releasing products via Kickstarter.
Peak Design has managed to raise $10,000,000 USD (and counting) on their latest campaign for a revolutionary travel tripod. If you want in on the preorder savings, you have 12 hours left to save. The next availability will be at full retail price.
Learn more about the Peak Design Travel Tripod

Continue reading...

Last edited:

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
21,631 (at time of the post) backers?

That surprises me. I would think that most people in the market for a good travel tripod would already have one. You know, Gitzo, RRS, etc? And while I was intrigued enough in their slick design to check, the main advantage I see is portability due to it's small size.

Their spec's (carbon fiber version): 3.125 inch diameter, 15.5 inch height, and 2.81 lbs

My now 6 year old Gitzo GT1542T (carbon fiber) with Markins Q3T ballhead: 3.25" diameter, 20 inches (ballhead mounted, legs reversed) and 3 lbs (ballhead mounted)

I can't see upgrading for 0.125" diameter, 4.5" height, and 0.19 lbs in savings. Not for $479.

BTW...The gitzo with Markins Q3T-remarkable combination. One of my best photographic purchases has been a tripod I can take just about anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Here's the way I see it. Typically when you travel, it's to destinations which are photography opportunities you don't have at home. Why bring along the lighter tripod and have a potentially worse experience with possible wind, uncertain terrain etc...all which lead to movement. I think that it's MORE important to travel with the big boys for a rock solid capture.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have a Gitzo GT1544T and a Acratech GV2 Ballhead. It's a very nice travel combination.
It's a very sturdy tripod. I get great general use out of it. I often leave my bigger tripods at home as they are so heavy.
Not a cheap combination but it's paid back in spades. I'd bring a tripod alot more than I would have before getting it.
Peak Design always deliver on Kickstarter but I think Peak Design are charging alot for a tripod that's untested.
I hope they do a good job as they've gathered in alot of money for it.

Upvote 0
21,631 (at time of the post) backers?

That surprises me. I would think that most people in the market for a good travel tripod would already have one. You know, Gitzo, RRS, etc? And while I was intrigued enough in their slick design to check, the main advantage I see is portability due to it's small size.

Their spec's (carbon fiber version): 3.125 inch diameter, 15.5 inch height, and 2.81 lbs

My now 6 year old Gitzo GT1542T (carbon fiber) with Markins Q3T ballhead: 3.25" diameter, 20 inches (ballhead mounted, legs reversed) and 3 lbs (ballhead mounted)

I can't see upgrading for 0.125" diameter, 4.5" height, and 0.19 lbs in savings. Not for $479.

BTW...The gitzo with Markins Q3T-remarkable combination. One of my best photographic purchases has been a tripod I can take just about anywhere.

I think you are looking at this way too logically.

I have a feeling they target demo for this doesn't know RRS, Gitzo, or Markins. Sure, there will be some experienced gear heads (and I mean that in the best way possible) who order this tripod. I think the people that Peak Design is marketing this for are those looking for something new and slick.

I like some of their products, especially their straps and anchors. I can't see myself spending that kind of money on that particular tripod though, especially without getting to try it out. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I would think that most people in the market for a good travel tripod would already have one.

Not always the case. I've been getting back into photography and currently have a cheap tripod that I was given by someone. It is bulky and heavy (I think it's some kind of video tripod as it has a panning head). It works just enough, but it is far from "good".

I've backed the Peak Design aluminium tripod. Yes, it costs quite a chunk of change (and I can't afford the carbon fibre one) but I'm really looking forward to using something small, light and easy to use.

Upvote 0

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
I'm actually pretty impressed with Peak designs effort to rethink a very common item. I won't be buying one, but I look forward to checking them out. I live in an area of lots of great and long hikes so I cans the value in shaving off every gram or mm where possible. I have a compact Sirui tripod which works well for me, but the award shape can make packing it into a backpack a mission. If it's like all my other PD gear, then it should be great quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Not always the case. I've been getting back into photography and currently have a cheap tripod that I was given by someone. It is bulky and heavy (I think it's some kind of video tripod as it has a panning head). It works just enough, but it is far from "good".

I've backed the Peak Design aluminium tripod. Yes, it costs quite a chunk of change (and I can't afford the carbon fibre one) but I'm really looking forward to using something small, light and easy to use.
And if I did not already have a travel tripod, I would take a close look at this one. Peak design has done a good job of getting these in the hands of various internet "influencers." So, you can definitely scroll around and get a good sense of the tripod and it seems good. I haven't evaluated the competition in years, so I do not know how it stacks up.

I was thinking about this a bit more and the advantage of the 15.5" height is that you could pretty easily fit this inside several medium to large camera bags. That would be handy.

Still not getting one.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Please tell me you use 3 of the tripods to support the 4th one, making a monster nonopod.

Tee Hee! Never thought of something like that.

I have different tripods for different uses. As I find Gitzo tripods to perform excellently and I bought all of mine at very sensible prices .
I live in the Uk so my entire Gitzo collection (GT3320BS,GT2531,GT4542LS,G1550T(used) and GM2541 + a Sirui 4 series mono pod) cost me less than a single 3 series RRS tripod - not a bad deal I think?

Upvote 0