Engagement Session from Saturday 11/8/14

We had an e-session with a 2015 wedding client this past Saturday morning here in Chicago. It was fairly cold; not much can be done about that. They insisted because they wanted to use some pictures for their save-the-date. So, we obliged. When I was post processing, I left the images a bit 'cool' intentionally. It was mostly overcast for starters, so I didn't want to fake in any 'warmth' and I liked the coloring against their skin.

Thoughts are of course welcome.

Details:
All three shots on Canon 6D with 70-200mm F/2.8 II
For the first two shots, I did use a speedlight, and for the last shot; just a reflector.
Shot 1: F/2.8
Shot 2: F/9.0
Shot 3: F/2.8

Attachments

• Christina and Anthony (38 of 174).jpg
    Christina and Anthony (38 of 174).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 273
  • Christina and Anthony (56 of 174).jpg
    Christina and Anthony (56 of 174).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 272
  • Christina and Anthony (114 of 174).jpg
    Christina and Anthony (114 of 174).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 223
Jan 29, 2011
You know what you are doing so you don't need my input, but as you asked, and it is real nitpicking.

In the first image I don't like the join in the pavement going through her leg; in the second shot the columns in the background are distractingly bright. I really like the third one, actually I like all three I was just offering constructive comments. I agree with you about the cooler tone and it works well.

David duChemin does a very good series of critique videos somewhere, I think they were Peach Pit podcasts, there are about 20 of them and they were free. I highly recommend them for people who have got past the gear thing and are into the core of the job, picture creation. I saw another critique on composition that referenced Turner's 'The Fighting Temeraire' and how he used tonality, separate from the use of colour, to supreme effect, and your second image made me think of that talk.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
You know what you are doing so you don't need my input, but as you asked, and it is real nitpicking.

In the first image I don't like the join in the pavement going through her leg; in the second shot the columns in the background are distractingly bright. I really like the third one, actually I like all three I was just offering constructive comments. I agree with you about the cooler tone and it works well.
I agree; I wish I had underexposed the background in the second image by two full stops instead of just 1.3 - would have muted the columns a little more. The first shot is 'whatever' and more obligatory - but I rarely 'use' shots where the subjects are so small in the frame. It's more of an establishing shot to use film terms. I didn't want to share a dozen photos; so it's no accident I went with wide/medium/close.
Thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jepabst said:
privatebydesign said:

I agree; I wish I had underexposed the background in the second image by two full stops instead of just 1.3 - would have muted the columns a little more. The first shot is 'whatever' and more obligatory - but I rarely 'use' shots where the subjects are so small in the frame. It's more of an establishing shot to use film terms. I didn't want to share a dozen photos; so it's no accident I went with wide/medium/close.

You could easily remove that seam in the concrete if the client wants prints. I like the third one, she is striking with the darker tones.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jepabst said:
privatebydesign said:

You are welcome, I understood the scale and think the first image works well, and I can see it's strength as a 16"x24" print on their wall (or your studio wall as a sales booster), maybe it is the resistance to the 'classic' railroad track shot that made me flinch from the crack :)

The third image is a very strong image, the processing and dof are spot on in my opinion.

Upvote 0

helpful

Ecclesiastes 3:11
Mar 6, 2012
You have a hit in the third photo, which is striking in its simplicity and effective from a variety of other artistic principles and elements as well: emphasis, balance, pattern, line, shape, color, texture, etc.

In the first picture it seems like balance is missing (the picture seems to be holding up an enormous weight) and the lines don't strengthen the composition. The second picture contains space/perspective, but is not using it well to to effectively to achieve the related goal of either harmony and unity or contrast.

Upvote 0
Definitely appreciate all the feedback; I know some photographers have a hard time taking criticism regardless of how constructive it may be. However, I went to architecture school in college and am quite used to taking critique. Once you realize that it only makes you better it gets easier. So, much appreciated.

For anyone who'd like to see the rest, I posted this fashion inspired engagement session today.

Upvote 0