EOS-1D X Mark II in Final Preproduction Form

Jan 29, 2011
jrista said:
I'm curious if this is the actual name. I mean, technically speaking, isn't the 1D X really the "1D Mark X"? All the generational marks are in roman numerals, X is just 10. So, wouldn't the next 1D be the 1D Mark XI? Or just 1D XI. One Dee Zee! :p

Anyway, just a curiosity.

If the 1DX was the tenth 1D body then maybe, but it wasn't.

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

The 1D and the 1Ds were always completely different cameras made for different market segments, the 1DX was marketed as the amalgamation of the two, the crossover, of course it left the 1Ds MkIII users up S___ creek but we weren't the volume buyers of 1 series cameras, the 1D folks were. Those 1Ds MkIII users are supposed to be happy with the 5DS/R's now, as if MP's was all it was about.

So when there is a next 1DX it will be a 1DX MkII, just as the 1D was followed by the 1D MkII and the 1Ds was followed by the 1Ds MkII.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
helpful said:
Thank you so much. All you do related to rumors, especially in regards to the 1D X Mark II and other flagship bodies, is invaluable in helping me make decisions throughout the years as I strategically transition from previous generation cameras.
Yeah, I am eager to see the price of current 1Dx coming down to US$3,000 ;)

Upvote 0
emko said:
Stills from Video is a dumb idea for many reason, video people shot completely different then a stills person.
One wants blurry images the other does not you can not pick both so the video is either going to be flickering/juddering or smooth. Then you have the compositions video guys use motion and other things for their composition but stills have to work with one frame. Then you have the codec compression vs raw 14+bit images

what will happen is stills cameras will keep increasing in fps especially the mirror less cameras.

Not really. I frequently use stills from video I have taken, and that is not even 4K. They can make useful small images such as thumbnails or pictures that go with stories, articles etc.

Of course it is not ideal, but it is useful if you cannot do both at the same time.

I agree that taking stills from video is not as good as taking actual stills, but it is still a useful thing to be able to do.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:
I'm curious if this is the actual name. I mean, technically speaking, isn't the 1D X really the "1D Mark X"? All the generational marks are in roman numerals, X is just 10. So, wouldn't the next 1D be the 1D Mark XI? Or just 1D XI. One Dee Zee! :p

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

I understand there will be two versions of the new 1DX, one for minors and one for adults.

The "over 18 year old" version will be called the 1DXXX ;D

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
I have been wondering about this issue as well. IMHO Canon would have been better off simply calling the 1D X the 1D Mk V. Since there is a PowerShot G1 X Mark II, I expect Canon will follow this pattern with the 1D X so I suspect the next camera could have an equally as cumbersome a name as the new PowerShot.

What I am hoping for the most in the 1D X Mk II is that the body be identical in shape to the current 1D X. This would allow the Mk II to fit into the same underwater housing as the current 1D X, which I happen to have. The housing cost more than the camera so is a highly significant factor when deciding on doing an upgrade or not. I got the 1D X for its high ISO and AF abilities and would not mind a significant improvement in these departments. For example, I have used AutoISO quite a bit with ISO 12800 as my upper limit (which can be set, but in whole stop increments). This is nearly an order of magnitude higher than the upper limit of ISO 1600 that I have used previously with both the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3.

Even going up to ISO 12800, as soon as a cloud passed over the sun (loss of shadow apparent in the pix), exposure times have gone to 1/200 compared to 1/1000 or faster in my use (rather shallow under water - subject depth is 0 to 30cm (1 foot) - and during July, the mid part of the summer when the sun is relatively strong at 60 degrees north latitude). I use aperture priority at f/11 (due to underwater dome optics) with the 8-15mm lens. 1/200 gets to be marginal when shooting fish. This was slower than my set minimum speed of 1/500 but when the ISO is at maximum and with aperture priority the only things left is to go below the minimum.

Tom

privatebydesign said:
jrista said:

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

The 1D and the 1Ds were always completely different cameras made for different market segments, the 1DX was marketed as the amalgamation of the two, the crossover, of course it left the 1Ds MkIII users up S___ creek but we weren't the volume buyers of 1 series cameras, the 1D folks were. Those 1Ds MkIII users are supposed to be happy with the 5DS/R's now, as if MP's was all it was about.

So when there is a next 1DX it will be a 1DX MkII, just as the 1D was followed by the 1D MkII and the 1Ds was followed by the 1Ds MkII.

Upvote 0
I was speaking to a canon tech rep yesterday about an unrelated matter but mentioned that i am waiting for the 1Dx mark Ii to be released soon. There was dead silence over the phone for a few seconds. he replied...who told me that. I stated that i do read canon rumors...more silence...he stated that none of that was true. I laughed and said...we knew about the 7D mark ii which was being field tested last summer. Oh well....company secrets are good..He knew what was up!!!

Upvote 0
dpaulham said:
I was speaking to a canon tech rep yesterday about an unrelated matter but mentioned that i am waiting for the 1Dx mark Ii to be released soon. There was dead silence over the phone for a few seconds. he replied...who told me that. I stated that i do read canon rumors...more silence...he stated that none of that was true. I laughed and said...we knew about the 7D mark ii which was being field tested last summer. Oh well....company secrets are good..He knew what was up!!!

The rumours on the 7D mark II went on, and on, and on. Didn't the rumours last about 5 years in total, or was it longer?!

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

Canon explicitly marketed the 1D X as the tenth in the series of the EOS 1 line. That included film cameras. Seems odd to me that they would amalgamate the line and explicitly label it the tenth EOS 1, then again change the naming scheme and use 1D X Mark II...the second tenth iteration? Strange.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
emko said:
Stills from Video is a dumb idea for many reason, video people shot completely different then a stills person.
One wants blurry images the other does not you can not pick both so the video is either going to be flickering/juddering or smooth. Then you have the compositions video guys use motion and other things for their composition but stills have to work with one frame. Then you have the codec compression vs raw 14+bit images

what will happen is stills cameras will keep increasing in fps especially the mirror less cameras.

Not really. I frequently use stills from video I have taken, and that is not even 4K. They can make useful small images such as thumbnails or pictures that go with stories, articles etc.

Of course it is not ideal, but it is useful if you cannot do both at the same time.

I agree that taking stills from video is not as good as taking actual stills, but it is still a useful thing to be able to do.

One thing I have done is to take a frame from a video saving it as a JPG. Then I use a program like Painter to convert it to a different look of which there are a gazillion possibilities. The quality of the JPG is definitely sufficient for that purpose.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
jrista said:
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

Canon explicitly marketed the 1D X as the tenth in the series of the EOS 1 line. That included film cameras. Seems odd to me that they would amalgamate the line and explicitly label it the tenth EOS 1, then again change the naming scheme and use 1D X Mark II...the second tenth iteration? Strange.

Not wrong:

The new model launches as the flagship in Canon’s DSLR line up – marking the 10th generation of Canon’s professional system with the most advanced EOS model ever produced.

source:
http://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/consumer_news/cameras_accessories/eos-1_dx.aspx

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rs said:
jrista said:
privatebydesign said:
jrista said:

1/ 1D
2/ 1D MkII
3/ 1D MkIIn
4/ 1D MkIII
5/ 1D MkIV
6/ 1DX

1/ 1D
2/ 1Ds
3/ 1D MkII
4/ 1Ds MkII
5/ 1D MkIIn
6/ 1D MkIII
7/ 1Ds MkIII
8/ 1D MkIV
9/ 1DX

Not wrong:

The new model launches as the flagship in Canon’s DSLR line up – marking the 10th generation of Canon’s professional system with the most advanced EOS model ever produced.

source:
http://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/consumer_news/cameras_accessories/eos-1_dx.aspx

Really, well tell me how to count to ten then :)

Now if you are just talking EOS you have to do some very creative counting to get the 1DX to be the tenth 1 series camera! If you were very liberal with your counting/naming nomenclature you could, maybe, discount the 1D MkIIn as a refresh, though it was a good one, and the 1NRS as a low volume special, but that still only gets the 1DX to 11th. So what else are you going to deny existed in order to get the 1DX to the tenth 1 series?

1/ EOS-1 (1989)
2/ EOS-1N and 1N HS (1994)
3/ EOS-1NRS (1995)
4/ EOS-1V and 1V HS (2000)
5/ EOS-1D (2001)
6/ EOS-1Ds (2002)
7/ EOS-1D MkII (2004)
8/ EOS-1Ds MkII (2004
9/ EOS-1D MkIIn (2005)
10/ EOS-1D MkIII (2007)
11/ EOS-1Ds MkIII (2007)
12/ EOS-1D MkIV (2009)
13/ EOS-1DX (2012)
14/ EOS-1DC (2012)

There is no logical way, other than in a marketeers mind, that the 1DX is the tenth anything.

Upvote 0
Is one logical way, if you count in this way 10th generation is possible:
1/ EOS-1 (1989)
3/ EOS-1NRS (1995)
5/ EOS-1D (2001) and EOS-1Ds (2002)
6/ EOS-1D MkII (2004) and EOS-1Ds MkII (2004
7/ EOS-1D MkIIn (2005)
8/ EOS-1D MkIII (2007) and EOS-1Ds MkIII (2007)
9/ EOS-1D MkIV (2009)
10/ EOS-1DX (2012) and EOS-1DC (2012)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
an0nymes said:
1/ EOS-1 (1989)
3/ EOS-1NRS (1995)
7/ EOS-1D MkIIn (2005)
9/ EOS-1D MkIV (2009)

But what is the justification, or sense, in dropping three 1Ds's and including the 1NRS?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
an0nymes said:
1/ EOS-1 (1989)
3/ EOS-1NRS (1995)
7/ EOS-1D MkIIn (2005)
9/ EOS-1D MkIV (2009)

But what is the justification, or sense, in dropping three 1Ds's and including the 1NRS?

To make it match the 10th.

It all went like this:

1: Marketing guys thought X sounds cool
2: Marketing guys told other people it needs to be the tenth version
3: It was sold as the tenth

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tpatana said:
privatebydesign said:
an0nymes said:
1/ EOS-1 (1989)
3/ EOS-1NRS (1995)
7/ EOS-1D MkIIn (2005)
9/ EOS-1D MkIV (2009)

To make it match the 10th.

It all went like this:

1: Marketing guys thought X sounds cool
2: Marketing guys told other people it needs to be the tenth version
3: It was sold as the tenth

Which just goes to show, marketing guys saying it is the tenth probably means it is anything but the tenth ;D

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Like to see at least two cameras introduced.

FF 1DX M2 (24 MP, 12-14 FPS, focus points covering wider area, histogram in OVF, ...), 1-2 stop improvement in DR and low light response, ..

1.6 (since the 1.3 crop sensor is not history) with same build as FF, same controls, just a smaller sensor, ... Modest improvement over the 7D M2.

Even more out there idea would be FF camera w/o grip, similar in size to the 5D line. Similar specs (except for battery) as the 1Dx M2.

1st idea - likely in some form
2nd idea - perhaps the product developers at Canon have toyed with this idea but not likely
3rd idea - no chance.

Upvote 0
Hjalmarg1 said:
helpful said:
Thank you so much. All you do related to rumors, especially in regards to the 1D X Mark II and other flagship bodies, is invaluable in helping me make decisions throughout the years as I strategically transition from previous generation cameras.
Yeah, I am eager to see the price of current 1Dx coming down to US$3,000 ;)
Maybe we will see it at 3000 but however at 4599.99 I had to take advantage of that...and now I'm finally a proud owner!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0