EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3 Available

wookiee2cu said:
Plus it's kind of hard to complain about something the camera never had in the first place yet you had no problem buying it.
No, it's pretty easy. One fix I'm jonesing for is a higher minimum speed when using auto ISO. Everyone with half a brain understands the camera can physically do this, and it would be nice if Canon could have at it. And it's perfectly OK if I voice that desire - how else would Canon be able to know, if all critics shut up?

All that doesn't mean I would or should leave the camera in the store. No one minds the crappy little details when buying a pro build, high iso full frame with an EF mount. It's not like I can go out and buy a totally equivalent, totally compatible camera save for that auto-iso-speed thingy.

I don't much like fallacies. I think this is called a black-or-white.

Upvote 0
Skirball said:
Harv said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people are never satisfied with what Canon does. If the 5D3 falls short of their expectations, why buy it in the first place?

The 5d3 fanboys get a little antsy in the pantsy when someone mentions a 1Dx. Don't worry, there's an easy fix, just mention how much you love the 6D and their chest puffs out again.

I love the 6D! (And I own both.) Oh, wait! PUUFFF! Too late. :eek:

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Skirball said:
Harv said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people are never satisfied with what Canon does. If the 5D3 falls short of their expectations, why buy it in the first place?

The 5d3 fanboys get a little antsy in the pantsy when someone mentions a 1Dx. Don't worry, there's an easy fix, just mention how much you love the 6D and their chest puffs out again.

I love the 6D! (And I own both.) Oh, wait! PUUFFF! Too late. :eek:

Lol!

Upvote 0
It's generally a good idea to stay up-to-date on your firmware. There have been some nice improvements via the updates, like the f/8 AF.

OTOH, there have been some issues, such as the reduction/removal of support of 3rd-party batteries.

I usually wait until a few folks try out the update to see if it might negatively affect my toys, and then go for it.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
neuroanatomist said:
Yeah, in-camera HDR. Another feature found on the 5DIII (and other models, including my lowly PowerShot S100), but not found on the 1D X. :p

HDR, a little like Video, and a Camera you can hold to your ear and discuss the weather with to People a thousand miles away, all things I'm Happy not to see in a Camera. But that's just me, being me.

I have to say also, Thanks Neuro for the explanation on the Red Focus Point, I often wondered about this, having 2 1Dx Bodies and 2 5DMK III Bodies it intrigued me why Canon wouldn't have the same set up for this, but your Description makes sense, Thank You, and although it took some getting used to, I actually like the intermittent Red Focus point we now have in the 1Dx.

I Love CR in the morning (it's morning here in Singapore), in some immortal words from the Big Screen, "I Love the smell of Napalm in the Morning", and the Laughs, great stuff.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
KurtStevens said:
Still don't know if its worth upgrading from day one firmware to this. Everyone started talking about prisms and 1dx nonsense.

Worth it or not?
I'd say it's worth it Kurt. AF at f/8 is a great point, other little bug fixes are welcomed too. I had no issues with the firmware...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
mWaltari said:
For me the worst part of MkIII firmware is that HRD does not produce RAW/TIFF images like it should. Fact that it produces jpeg makes it just automatic bracketing tool :(

I really do not understand what they where thinking of???

In many situations it would make the Workflow so much faster and easier when you could use HDR results from straight from the camera. And if want to you could still use individual files if camera did not produce what you where looking for...

-Tee-

If the HDR image came straight from the camera, that would defeat the purpose of raw which is get the original data for post processing.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
mWaltari said:
For me the worst part of MkIII firmware is that HRD does not produce RAW/TIFF images like it should. Fact that it produces jpeg makes it just automatic bracketing tool :(

I really do not understand what they where thinking of???

In many situations it would make the Workflow so much faster and easier when you could use HDR results from straight from the camera. And if want to you could still use individual files if camera did not produce what you where looking for...

-Tee-

If the HDR image came straight from the camera, that would defeat the purpose of raw which is get the original data for post processing.

You both have me confused on this one. You can configure the camera to save the final HDR photo (as a JPG) and keep the CR2 files it was created from as well. I'm guessing you wish it would store the 32-bit [HDR] RAW file, but that would be huge and the idea of in-camera HDR is to do it quickly and give you the final photo without having to post-process. If the JPG results aren't what you want, you can always use the CR2 files if you want to do it on your PC. It would be nice if Canon would let you store the in-camera HDR file as a TIFF.

Upvote 0
Dave_NYC said:
Anyone running 3rd party batts, YN622 triggers, or YN flashes (568, 565) have any problems after updating? I'm not counting the 3rd party battery related messages after the 1.2.1 update.

Are YN622 triggers an issue with the newer firmware versions? They run fine on my Day One firmware (v.1.0.7) and it would be a huge issue for me if they stopped working.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Jamesy said:
Dave_NYC said:
Anyone running 3rd party batts, YN622 triggers, or YN flashes (568, 565) have any problems after updating? I'm not counting the 3rd party battery related messages after the 1.2.1 update.

Are YN622 triggers an issue with the newer firmware versions? They run fine on my Day One firmware (v.1.0.7) and it would be a huge issue for me if they stopped working.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm holding back on the update till the fog clears.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if Canon ever does "soft" fixes in its firmware updates? I've previously complained about somewhat inconsistent metering in my six-month-old 5D3. I've taken a few dozen shots in different conditions since updating to 1.2.3 and the exposure seems better. I know auto companies do "soft recalls" all the time, where they don't announce any problem but fix something while you're at the dealer having maintenance done. Might Canon have done the same with FW 1.2.3?

Of course it's always very possible that this is all in my head.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
iron-t said:
Does anyone know if Canon ever does "soft" fixes in its firmware updates? I've previously complained about somewhat inconsistent metering in my six-month-old 5D3. I've taken a few dozen shots in different conditions since updating to 1.2.3 and the exposure seems better. I know auto companies do "soft recalls" all the time, where they don't announce any problem but fix something while you're at the dealer having maintenance done. Might Canon have done the same with FW 1.2.3?

Of course it's always very possible that this is all in my head.

I also believe that soft updates are entirely possible. However, these must be small technical issues which are not vociferously complained of / demanded by a large section of the customer base.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Jamesy said:
Dave_NYC said:

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm holding back on the update till the fog clears.

Seems like a couple of us have the same question.

If anyone has access to YN622's and are running the latest 1.2.3 firmware - please let us know your experience with the combination.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Harv said:

For crying out loud, the 5D3 is half the price of the 1Dx. If someone wants the 1Dx features, they should reach into their pocket and pony up the funds to buy the 1Dx. It's that simple.

I elected to add the 5D3 to my bag as a second body to my 1D4. I knew what the specifications were when I made the decision to buy it. It performs as advertized. Firmware updates to deal with bugs that show up are appreciated and I'm thankful that the manufacturer offers them up. I don't expect Canon to turn my 5D3 into a 1Dx.

Anyone who purchased a 5D3 knew full well what it's features and limitations were when they made the decision and laid their money down.

If you own the 5D3, which is a great camera, just pick it up and go take some photos.

Yeayyy! If you didn't like it, or wanted a 1Dx, why did you buy this one?

I'm satisfied with mine, and there are loads of 'togs out there who wish they could afford one of these "inferior" cameras. Count yourself fortunate to have one.

Zen ;D

Upvote 0
Zen said:
Harv said:

For crying out loud, the 5D3 is half the price of the 1Dx. If someone wants the 1Dx features, they should reach into their pocket and pony up the funds to buy the 1Dx. It's that simple.

I elected to add the 5D3 to my bag as a second body to my 1D4. I knew what the specifications were when I made the decision to buy it. It performs as advertized. Firmware updates to deal with bugs that show up are appreciated and I'm thankful that the manufacturer offers them up. I don't expect Canon to turn my 5D3 into a 1Dx.

Anyone who purchased a 5D3 knew full well what it's features and limitations were when they made the decision and laid their money down.

If you own the 5D3, which is a great camera, just pick it up and go take some photos.

Yeayyy! If you didn't like it, or wanted a 1Dx, why did you buy this one?

I'm satisfied with mine, and there are loads of 'togs out there who wish they could afford one of these "inferior" cameras. Count yourself fortunate to have one.

Zen ;D

People want a feature calles something like exposure bias when shoot in manual mode and auto iso.
This is what Nikon offers in their D7000 not something flagship exclusive is it?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
Dave_NYC said:
Got around to updating today (didn't want to before, had a couple of gigs imminent). So far, straight YN565 on the camera, and YN622/YN565 mix are behaving as expected. Exposure is good, communication good in terms of changing settings etc. I have some other shots I want to do later this week, if I run into problems with settings or my my 568 flashes, I'll drop a note back in here.

I have a Meike grip and 3rd party batts (Opteka) are behaving the same as before - when inserting new ones, I get the message about irregular communication, and a blinking battery LED (the latter every time I turn on the camera) but after taking the first shot I get accurate battery capacity readings.

@Dave - thanks very much for reporting back. I am in the middle of a product shoot and cannot risk it but will try to upgrade in the next week or so.

Is there a way to save the existing firmware out of the camera to support a future downgrade in the event the upgrade turns my camera 'pear shaped'? Also, does the upgrade wipe the camera settings or are they retained?

Admittedly I have only done an upgrade once with my 40D and it went well so there was no need to revert back to the earlier firmware.

Upvote 0