EOS 7D Mark III Coming in March 2018 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve had two people write in telling us that the EOS 7D Mark III is currently scheduled to be announced in March of 2018.</p>
<p>Specifications are scarce, but both sources did claim it will definitely shoot 4K and will come with C-Log. We’ve known (or assumed) that 4K was coming in the EOS 7D Mark III, but this is the first time we’ve heard C-Log mentioned as well.</p>

<p>One of the sources also mentioned “first time sensor technology in a Canon DSLR”. We’re not sure what that is, but it sounds like some marketing speak for the moment.</p>
<p>With the NAB show in April, a March announcement for a DSLR with some higher end video features does make some sense.</p>
<p>Take this with a grain of salt, as it comes from unknown places. As always, we hope to confirm some of these details soon.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Price for the 7D III? USD 1,900 -2,100??

From the 7dII - Photo mode

Resolution goes to 24mp
+2 maybe 3 on FPS
+1 in DR
built in wifi/bt
faster/more AF points, perhaps a dual pixel step in speed?
might get a very high speed electronic shutter. Perhaps the same mirror path/machinery as the 5DS/R
Likely will lose the AA filter.

The extra special feature..... In body IS in a DSLR vs. Mirrorless and for all shooting modes not just vid.

As well as, a bunch of software features, perhaps several more presents/programmables and can walk through them like the 1dx.

Video
4k, full sensor, 30/60, perhaps time lapse w/ variable bit rates (something akin to Nikons 8k time lapse mode)

Hybrid optical finder w/ lots-o- overlays.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
bellorusso said:
At this point Canon simply can't do anything to make photogs stop switching to Sony. Can it?

Given the actual sales figures we end up seeing I'm sure Canon and it's share holders will be happy to continue the current trajectory of Sony, Nikon and Canon sales in both DSLR's and MILC's. You do know Canon sell more DSLR's and MILC's than Nikon and Sony combined?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve had two people write in telling us that the EOS 7D Mark III is currently scheduled to be announced in March of 2018.</p>

<p>One of the sources also mentioned “first time sensor technology in a Canon DSLR”. We’re not sure what that is, but it sounds like some marketing speak for the moment.</p>
That first time Canon DSLR sensor tech may just be IBIS. Wouldn’t that be good!

-pw

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
pwp said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve had two people write in telling us that the EOS 7D Mark III is currently scheduled to be announced in March of 2018.</p>

-pw

It isn't going to happen. For better or worse Canon went the lens stabilization route, and they have said many times they see IS per lens a better solution than IBIS.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
pwp said:
Canon Rumors said:

-pw

It isn't going to happen. For better or worse Canon went the lens stabilization route, and they have said many times they see IS per lens a better solution than IBIS.

+1

Also, considering the fact that IBIS is most useful at shorter focal lengths, and the 7D-series is weighted toward longer focal lengths, it seems like misplaced additional cost and complexity.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
bellorusso said:
At this point Canon simply can't do anything to make photogs stop switching to Sony. Can it?

Y.A.P.O.D.F.C.

The only market share Sony is taking is Nikon's. Canon is seeing consistent growth in all sectors.

Dual Pixel AF still makes Canon one of the most popular choices for video. In another five years I'm sure they'll have something else that the competition can't hope to compete with.
Camera bodies are temporary, glass is forever.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I can't see them putting C-Log in it and not the 1DX MkII, and if that got a firmware C-Log upgrade it messes wth the Cinema line. Not that I care as video is of zero interest to me personally, as is a 7D MkIII.

You could say the same about the 5D4 though and yet that have C-Log now.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
BeenThere said:
I’m not stoked. Losing all interest in APS-C. Full frame is in my future.

I went the other way - from full-frame to 7DII.

If they lose the AA filter, I'll likely lose interest.

The only time I need more DR is at high ISO.

Digital zoom (windowning) while shooting video would be helpful to me. Of course, if it's 4k, you'd be limited to 1.4-1.5x or so, but at 1080p, 2.8-3x is a really big deal.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
raptor3x said:
privatebydesign said:
I can't see them putting C-Log in it and not the 1DX MkII, and if that got a firmware C-Log upgrade it messes wth the Cinema line. Not that I care as video is of zero interest to me personally, as is a 7D MkIII.

You could say the same about the 5D4 though and yet that have C-Log now.

But what happens when it needs a firmware upgrade? All C-Log enabled 5D MkIV's have to go to Canon for a firmware change, can you see them doing that for a much higher volume 7D MkIII?

Upvote 0
We'll see what the actual 4K feature set is. The thing is that Panasonic GH5 is just kicking Canon's butt when it comes to 4K specs, video features, and price point. Next will be Fujifilm as they are rumored to be adding 4K to their GFX50 successor. IMO Canon is lagging behind when they were formerly a leader. So they are protecting the video camera line. So what? Meanwhile people are buying the GH5.

Upvote 0