EOS 7D Mark III Coming in March 2018 [CR1]

Jan 12, 2011
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
We'll see. Canon may get the lead out on MILC, but I'm losing patience.
The Sony A7r III is making waves and it's at the top of my list, begging me to switch brands.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7619939520/time-calls-sony-a7r-iii-one-of-the-best-mirrorless-cameras-ever-made

Ah now that is a different thing, you losing patience is utterly irrelevant to Canon, I understand why you, personally, think Canon are losing it, because they are not making the camera you personally want. But the problem with that is they do make cameras people want more than any other camera manufacturer, I bought two this year.

Go buy the Sony, nobody cares, literally not one single person gives a seconds thought to what camera you buy, it is so inconsequential in the scheme of things as to be laughable. Canon are not going to make an EOS A7R MkIII, get over it, if you want one buy it and don't give Canon a second thought.

Unfortunately for Canon a lot of people are starting to wonder what they are waiting for.
I bought three Canon's this year alone, and I've owned a lot of Canon gear. That doesn't mean the future is Canon by any stretch.

"Go buy the Sony, nobody cares, literally not one single person gives a seconds thought to what camera you buy, it is so inconsequential in the scheme of things as to be laughable."

It always amazes me how insecure dedicated Canon fans are. I saw exactly this response in so many Blackberry fans, especially after I switched to Android.

It's a tool dear, not a spouse!

How true this is. Everyone's a market leader and can rest on those laurels until they aren't. RIM is a fascinating comparison because they held plenty of market share compared to iPhone and Android until they, well, didn't. So far, Canon have managed to keep their market share steady or growing, but judging by the recent firesales on 5DIVs and 6DIIs, that suggests sales aren't as good on those cameras as they could be. And we know Sony is growing in FF sales quite rapidly, so the math adds up from the FF side of things.

As for a 7D with C-Log, I would assume if they are trying to compete with MILCs and get NAB excited they would ship it with built-in C-Log. And maybe they'll provide a paid firmware upgrade for the 1DXII. If the Canon apologists care as little about video as they all claim to here, then it shouldn't be a problem for most that own the 1DXII. (However, if I owned one, I'd be pissed :)

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
bellorusso said:
At this point Canon simply can't do anything to make photogs stop switching to Sony. Can it?

Given the actual sales figures we end up seeing I'm sure Canon and it's share holders will be happy to continue the current trajectory of Sony, Nikon and Canon sales in both DSLR's and MILC's. You do know Canon sell more DSLR's and MILC's than Nikon and Sony combined?

That's what RIM said ... remember them, they practically invented the smartphone. Smug and resting on their laurels, they now are mostly dead and utterly irrelevant.

That's what everybody says when the facts are presented. Yet each year/month/week/new release/rumor/thread we are told Canon are dead, each year they post better figures when compared to their competition. I'm not saying they know everything, I am saying they seem to know their market much better than us and the never ending cries of 'they are doomed' sound more like the boy who cried wolf given the year on year in year facts.

That's exactly what everyone said about RIM for almost 10 years!

RIM/Blackberry sold phones competitively for ten odd years, 2002 to 2012 if you are generous, Canon have been making cameras competitively for 80 years. As I said, I don't know what they know, but I do know they know more than me and I expect you.

Etienne said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
bellorusso said:
At this point Canon simply can't do anything to make photogs stop switching to Sony. Can it?

Given the actual sales figures we end up seeing I'm sure Canon and it's share holders will be happy to continue the current trajectory of Sony, Nikon and Canon sales in both DSLR's and MILC's. You do know Canon sell more DSLR's and MILC's than Nikon and Sony combined?

That's what RIM said ... remember them, they practically invented the smartphone. Smug and resting on their laurels, they now are mostly dead and utterly irrelevant.

That's what everybody says when the facts are presented. Yet each year/month/week/new release/rumor/thread we are told Canon are dead, each year they post better figures when compared to their competition. I'm not saying they know everything, I am saying they seem to know their market much better than us and the never ending cries of 'they are doomed' sound more like the boy who cried wolf given the year on year in year facts.

PS ... in every industry, the future belongs to the bold and aggressive, and right now that looks like Sony.

That is simply not true, Sony have been bold and aggressive in many fields and retreated and stopped mid stride. Sony have dominated areas of tech in which they are now either gone or also rans. Bold and aggressive has led to failure on many many occasions. Sony are losing market share to Canon on MILC sales, how does that square with your comments?

Not on FF ILC sales. They're now #2 on those if I recall. I sure hope Canon has a winner with their FF mirrorless camera that can compete on specs, because they'll need it this year. They need a FF product that excites people again. And the 5DIV and 6DII weren't it. Good cameras, I'm sure, just not exciting, and certainly not from a video perspective.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
We'll see. Canon may get the lead out on MILC, but I'm losing patience.
The Sony A7r III is making waves and it's at the top of my list, begging me to switch brands.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7619939520/time-calls-sony-a7r-iii-one-of-the-best-mirrorless-cameras-ever-made

Ah now that is a different thing, you losing patience is utterly irrelevant to Canon, I understand why you, personally, think Canon are losing it, because they are not making the camera you personally want. But the problem with that is they do make cameras people want more than any other camera manufacturer, I bought two this year.

Go buy the Sony, nobody cares, literally not one single person gives a seconds thought to what camera you buy, it is so inconsequential in the scheme of things as to be laughable. Canon are not going to make an EOS A7R MkIII, get over it, if you want one buy it and don't give Canon a second thought.

Sure, Canon will make an EOS A7RIII- it will just take them 2 more years. ::)

Upvote 0
Also, considering the fact that IBIS is most useful at shorter focal lengths, and the 7D-series is weighted toward longer focal lengths, it seems like misplaced additional cost and complexity.

Huh? stabilization if DEFINITELY most useful for longer lenses not shorter. The shorter/wider the lens, the less stabilization is needed. The general rule is shutter speed should equal focal length. Therefore we need the most help we can get at longer focal lengths not 10mm!

Upvote 0
Nakean said:
Also, considering the fact that IBIS is most useful at shorter focal lengths, and the 7D-series is weighted toward longer focal lengths, it seems like misplaced additional cost and complexity.

Huh? stabilization if DEFINITELY most useful for longer lenses not shorter. The shorter/wider the lens, the less stabilization is needed. The general rule is shutter speed should equal focal length. Therefore we need the most help we can get at longer focal lengths not 10mm!

He means that IBIS is more effective at stabilizing shorter lenses than longer lenses, not that stabilization in general is more useful for shorter lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

Not that different from the mark 2, except for 4Kvideo, UHS-2 card support, 24 Megapixels, better AF points, and 1 or 2 FPS faster... and a bigger buffer for bursts....

Same, along with built in wifi, bluetooth, probably a memory card change. Either that or they'll wait until theres more to offer. They're not competing with Sony in this camera in my view, they're competing with the Nikon D500.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Otara said:
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

Not that different from the mark 2, except for 4Kvideo, UHS-2 card support, 24 Megapixels, better AF points, and 1 or 2 FPS faster... and a bigger buffer for bursts....

Same, along with built in wifi, bluetooth, probably a memory card change. Either that or they'll wait until theres more to offer. They're not competing with Sony in this camera in my view, they're competing with the Nikon D500.
Oh yes.... I forgot the Wifi, Bluetooth, and the touchscreen of the 6D2.... Canon seems to have gotten the bugs out so it will probably start to appear on everything from here on....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
Otara said:
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

Oh yes.... I forgot the Wifi, Bluetooth, and the touchscreen of the 6D2.... Canon seems to have gotten the bugs out so it will probably start to appear on everything from here on....

I would agree. Although I would be surprised if they keep the megapixels to 24. I would prefer 24 mp or less with whatever improvements they've made since the 80D, but somehow I expect them to bump it to 26-28 mp, just because they can.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
Otara said:
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

I would agree. Although I would be surprised if they keep the megapixels to 24. I would prefer 24 mp or less with whatever improvements they've made since the 80D, but somehow I expect them to bump it to 26-28 mp, just because they can.
When the 7D2 came out, it was at 20Mpixels.... a relatively low number for the time... I expect a 7D3 will also retain a low number to help keep burst rates fast and to help at higher ISOs..... kind of like why the 1DX2 has such a conservative number. My bet is that it will be the 90D that gets 28 (or more) megapixels....

Of course, I do have a terrible record with predictions :)

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
pwp said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve had two people write in telling us that the EOS 7D Mark III is currently scheduled to be announced in March of 2018.</p>

<p>One of the sources also mentioned “first time sensor technology in a Canon DSLR”. We’re not sure what that is, but it sounds like some marketing speak for the moment.</p>
That first time Canon DSLR sensor tech may just be IBIS. Wouldn’t that be good!

-pw

Depends on how badly they want to be sued by the competition who owns the IP.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
privatebydesign said:
bellorusso said:

Seeing that DSLRs are steadily going down while Sony's MILCs sales are going up, at some point it is going to bite for Canon. They can't ignore what Sony is doing for too long, because at some point there is going to be a tipping point and it will be too late to do anything about it.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
9VIII said:
bellorusso said:

Y.A.P.O.D.F.C.

The only market share Sony is taking is Nikon's. Canon is seeing consistent growth in all sectors.

Dual Pixel AF still makes Canon one of the most popular choices for video. In another five years I'm sure they'll have something else that the competition can't hope to compete with.
Camera bodies are temporary, glass is forever.

Erm...no, DPAF does nothing of the sort. The video camera of choice in the hybrid market is the GH5, with Sony's MILCs bringing up second. Not a whole lot of people buy DSLRs for shooting video any more.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
bellorusso said:

RIM/Blackberry sold phones competitively for ten odd years, 2002 to 2012 if you are generous, Canon have been making cameras competitively for 80 years. As I said, I don't know what they know, but I do know they know more than me and I expect you.

Etienne said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
bellorusso said:

PS ... in every industry, the future belongs to the bold and aggressive, and right now that looks like Sony.

That is simply not true, Sony have been bold and aggressive in many fields and retreated and stopped mid stride. Sony have dominated areas of tech in which they are now either gone or also rans. Bold and aggressive has led to failure on many many occasions. Sony are losing market share to Canon on MILC sales, how does that square with your comments?

No they are not losing market share to Canon with MILCs. Canon hardly has a presence at all in the MILC market, just about every other significant camera manufacturer other than Nikon has superior MILCs. In the US Canon MILCs are "killing it so much" that models are frequently not even released there.

And no, the Japanese market is not representative of what is happening world wide.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I suspect:

24mpx
New back illuminated sensor
No anti-alias filter
Many more f/8 focus points
4K Video as standard.
Dual SD slots, one UHS-II

Canon probably sell as many 7D IIs for video work as they do for still photography, so expect a raft of improvements aimed at video shooting.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Don Haines said:
Otara said:
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

Canon had effective touchscreens long before the 6D2, they just didn't put them on DSLRs. Their camcorders have had them since at least 2012. Same for Wifi IIRC.

Upvote 0