Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Tugela said:
Don Haines said:
Otara said:
Don Haines said:
My prediction....

Not that different from the mark 2, except for 4Kvideo, UHS-2 card support, 24 Megapixels, better AF points, and 1 or 2 FPS faster... and a bigger buffer for bursts....

Same, along with built in wifi, bluetooth, probably a memory card change. Either that or they'll wait until theres more to offer. They're not competing with Sony in this camera in my view, they're competing with the Nikon D500.
Oh yes.... I forgot the Wifi, Bluetooth, and the touchscreen of the 6D2.... Canon seems to have gotten the bugs out so it will probably start to appear on everything from here on....

Canon had effective touchscreens long before the 6D2, they just didn't put them on DSLRs. Their camcorders have had them since at least 2012. Same for Wifi IIRC.
It isn’t just about having them, it’s about getting the bugs out, particularly with the user interface. After the 80D and the 6D2, they have a solid feature, one that will probably mark the transition from gadget to universal feature from here on in..... kind of like “flicker detection” that is now on every camera since....

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Orangutan said:
zim said:
Sounds to me like the video doesn't add to the cost argument could be flying out the window :(
The price is going to be very interesting if all the 4k c-log talk turns out true

No, basic video still won't add cost. Pro video features might...

Cool, I thought Canon saw 4k and c-log as pro features!

Upvote 0
zim said:
Orangutan said:
zim said:
Sounds to me like the video doesn't add to the cost argument could be flying out the window :(
The price is going to be very interesting if all the 4k c-log talk turns out true

Nice straw man you have there, or maybe it's just a weak troll. You made the assertion "Sounds to me like the video doesn't add to the cost argument could be flying out the window," but I don't recall anyone arguing that advanced video features (like c-log) would not add to cost. The argument has always been that the mere existence of video capture on a DSLR will not add cost, in contradiction to those who whined for a pure, unsullied, stills-only camera, and asserted that it would cost less.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
9VIII said:
Camera bodies are temporary, glass is forever.
Its why I switched back. After 5 years, Sony still has nothing even resembling Canon's depth of options in <$1k glass. I can buy basically every focal length, often in multiple formats (50mm f/1.8, f/1.4, and f/1.2), at the price point I want. Every SOny lens that is comparable to Canon costs about 20-30% more.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Orangutan said:
zim said:
Orangutan said:
zim said:

Nice straw man you have there, or maybe it's just a weak troll. You made the assertion "Sounds to me like the video doesn't add to the cost argument could be flying out the window," but I don't recall anyone arguing that advanced video features (like c-log) would not add to cost. The argument has always been that the mere existence of video capture on a DSLR will not add cost, in contradiction to those who whined for a pure, unsullied, stills-only camera, and asserted that it would cost less.

Ah ok I see what you mean, not arguing or trolling just wasn't accurate enough in what I was meaning. At some stage I guess there has to be a tipping point where video does start to add to the cost and I'm just wondering where that point is and if the 7D3 could be that point I hope not!
I think the idea of a pure 'unsullied' stills camera is just daft (probably upset someone else now ;D )

Upvote 0
zim said:
I guess there has to be a tipping point where video does start to add to the cost and I'm just wondering where that point is and if the 7D3 could be that point I hope not!

I'll agree with that, for example an extra heat sink, or even just an audio monitoring port. Clearly, you can add some video-specific features that aren't free. I don't think there's any argument there.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Orangutan said:
zim said:
I guess there has to be a tipping point where video does start to add to the cost and I'm just wondering where that point is and if the 7D3 could be that point I hope not!

I'll agree with that, for example an extra heat sink, or even just an audio monitoring port. Clearly, you can add some video-specific features that aren't free. I don't think there's any argument there.

Ironically I wish everyone would put big heat sinks, or even active cooling on their sensors.
With long exposures (3-10sec for macro) sensor noise is a big issue, and worse if I compose with Live View, which is pretty much all the time because composing Macro with the OVF is an absolute pain in the neck (literally, I usually have the camera facing straight down).
Currently my best strategy is just to turn live view off for 10 seconds after every recomposition. Still a big waste of time.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
jolyonralph said:
Also we'll see the 5DSR II soon after using the same technology with a 60mpx sensor
I'd see this too.
I hope the sensor is good this time.
The 7DII really doesn't perform well about 800 ISO.
The image quality degrades fast with a smudgy look.
I hope they can get it performing better and this camera is all about working at fast shutter speeds for me.
I need the ISO range.
12 or 14 frames a second would be a great change too.
I hadn't an issue with the focusing on the 7DII.
It often looks great through the viewfinder but the quality of the photos can disappoint.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
zim said:

It's not as simple as that.

Adding features has a cost attached. But if they significantly increase the sales that brings that could bring the per-unit cost down (when you spread fixed development costs over the number of units sold).

So adding a $15 part to a camera doesn't necessarily increase the cost by $15, in fact it may work the opposite way.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Tugela said:
Canon hardly has a presence at all in the MILC market, just about every other significant camera manufacturer other than Nikon has superior MILCs. In the US Canon MILCs are "killing it so much" that models are frequently not even released there.

And no, the Japanese market is not representative of what is happening world wide.

Do you have the numbers to support that?

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
Mikehit said:
Tugela said:
Canon hardly has a presence at all in the MILC market, just about every other significant camera manufacturer other than Nikon has superior MILCs. In the US Canon MILCs are "killing it so much" that models are frequently not even released there.

And no, the Japanese market is not representative of what is happening world wide.

Do you have the numbers to support that?

No, he/she doesn't.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
transpo1 said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
We'll see. Canon may get the lead out on MILC, but I'm losing patience.
The Sony A7r III is making waves and it's at the top of my list, begging me to switch brands.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7619939520/time-calls-sony-a7r-iii-one-of-the-best-mirrorless-cameras-ever-made

Ah now that is a different thing, you losing patience is utterly irrelevant to Canon, I understand why you, personally, think Canon are losing it, because they are not making the camera you personally want. But the problem with that is they do make cameras people want more than any other camera manufacturer, I bought two this year.

Go buy the Sony, nobody cares, literally not one single person gives a seconds thought to what camera you buy, it is so inconsequential in the scheme of things as to be laughable. Canon are not going to make an EOS A7R MkIII, get over it, if you want one buy it and don't give Canon a second thought.

Unfortunately for Canon a lot of people are starting to wonder what they are waiting for.
I bought three Canon's this year alone, and I've owned a lot of Canon gear. That doesn't mean the future is Canon by any stretch.

"Go buy the Sony, nobody cares, literally not one single person gives a seconds thought to what camera you buy, it is so inconsequential in the scheme of things as to be laughable."

It always amazes me how insecure dedicated Canon fans are. I saw exactly this response in so many Blackberry fans, especially after I switched to Android.

It's a tool dear, not a spouse!

How true this is. Everyone's a market leader and can rest on those laurels until they aren't. RIM is a fascinating comparison because they held plenty of market share compared to iPhone and Android until they, well, didn't. So far, Canon have managed to keep their market share steady or growing, but judging by the recent firesales on 5DIVs and 6DIIs, that suggests sales aren't as good on those cameras as they could be. And we know Sony is growing in FF sales quite rapidly, so the math adds up from the FF side of things.

We love to compare Canon with RIM or Nokia and predict that Canon surely would follow them or follow them if Canon doesn't innovate. But we forget one thing. In early 2000s mobile phones became smart devices with addition of camera, music player, game player, movie player etc. They became 'smartphones' where other functionalities became more important than just making phone calls or exchanging text messages. iPhone didn't make better calls than Nokia phones, but they were much smarter than Nokia devices in other functionalities. Then came Samsung and Android and they followed apple. Nokia lost. On the other hand a camera's only function is taking pictures, it has no other function. So, for another camera maker to overtake Canon they will have to do at least one of the two things: make better pictures than Canon (or similar pictures much cheaper) or add other functionalities to camera in addition to taking pictures. They will also need trust (80 years for Canon), brand loyalty and service. In this respect Canon is similar to McDonald or major car makers, their only function being fast food or taking people/goods from A to B. Canon's main threat is cellphone as more and more people are ditching their cameras for taking pictures. Canon still is the best system to take pictures with its very capable cameras and largest collection of lenses, only Nikon comes close.

Upvote 0
At the moment I am very satisfied with the 200D / SL2: Great IQ, very good ergonomics ... for a "low end" camera. While the IQ is absolutely satisfying I would like to have better ergonomics like xxD series or better like F1-N from the film days.

I bought the SL2 because I am not shore which route to go: APS-C or FF. At the moment I combine longer walks with photographing but I do not have special "photographic missions". So I want to go light and maybe cheap without the "rob me" stigma of high end equipment.

If the next iteration of 7D has at least the IQ of the current SL2 + better ergonomics (shure) + great AF with optical viewfinder + and I do not see strong advantages for FF ... maybe my next "fast ergonomic" camera body.

Some additional remarks why I most probably will stay with Canon equipment: Maybe they are not the fastest cameras with the absolutely best IQ in bodies with illuminated buttons they deliver in terms of being a TOOL to CREATE PHOTOGRAPHS. And my set of lenses is great for what I do especially the EF-S 60 / EF 100 Macro / EF 70-200 4 IS / EF 40 / EF 100 2 which deliver brilliant IQ with ultimate ergonomy ...
And I like my 2nd hand NOKIA 925 smartphone with OLED display, 2 days stand-by and simple clean ergonmics :)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
Hector1970 said:
I hadn't an issue with the focusing on the 7DII.
It often looks great through the viewfinder but the quality of the photos can disappoint.
Have you calibrated your lenses. You need to. I would recommend "Focal" from Reikan. It does a good job of finding the right AFMA values for your lens / body combination. Depending upon your kit it can name a significant difference. I have no affiliation with the company, just a satisfied user.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
My money would be BSI as the "new feature." Which would be great. Get that last 1/3-1/2 stop improvement in sensors and be on pare with the latest competition.

Combine that with on chip conversion and we might see 2/3-1 stop improvement at low ISO and 1/3-1/2 stop improvement at higher ISOs over the 7DII. This would hopefully make ISO ~3200 consistently usable in the 7DIII.

Throw in dual digic 7 chips, assume 28 MP and you can get to 12 fps (assuming Digic 7 can do ~170 MB/sec based on the 6DII's 6.5 fps, 26.2 MP, and base ISO).

Give it the 1DXII's AF system and I will be tempted.

Upvote 0