EOS 7D Replacement & Telephoto Lens in September [CR3]

Sep 25, 2010
Re: EOS 7D Replacement & Telephoto Lens in September [CR3]

neuroanatomist said:
Sabaki said:
CR3 makes this near real...right?

Real. Just like aliens.

Aliens are real; the people who report seeing them, but consistently fail to get high-quality photos/video, despite the near-ubiquity of adequate-quality recording equipment, are not. :p

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

unfocused said:
viggen61 said:
unfocused said:
Anyone know how NDAs generally work?

Do they usually expire or get lifted before the product is announced, or do companies purposely set the NDA expiration date after their projected announcement date and then lift it once the announcement is made?

I'm guessing the latter. It doesn't seem like they would lift an NDA until they release or announce the product.

So, if the NDAs expire in September, that would be the latest date for a release announcement?

You pretty much want the NDA/Embargo to be lifted coincidentally with if not slightly before the actual announcement. Example: Canon wants to announce something on date X. The NDA/embargo would be lifted at the very latest just before the announcement, but likely a day or more before.

The reason for this is if you want the biggest impact for your announcement, you want everyone who was under the NDA/Embargo - photographers, columnists, reviewers, etc. - to be crowing about your product at the same time as your announcement.

Yeah, as often happens, I don't think I was as clear as I should have been about what I meant. My point really was that if Canon tells those under the NDA/Embargo that "The embargo will expire in September" then it's a near certainty that it will indeed expire in September, because it would be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle and say, "Oh wait, we are now extending the embargo until Oct. 7."

On the other hand, if they tell those under the embargo that it will expire on, say Sept. 15, it is a lot easier to then notify everyone that "we are moving the release date up, so instead of Sept. 15, it will now expire Sept. 7."

I guess what I was clumsily trying to suggest is that if there is a CR3 rumor that the NDAs will expire in September, we can say with some certainty that the announcement will occur no later than September.

There's no telling.. it's a legally binding signed contract, witnessed and everything stating what the terms and conditions are, and that would include when the agreement is set to expire. so the people that have the NDA also know the exact date, which of course they aren't allowed to disclose either.

IMO - I think that's why we got weird announcements in the past because NDA's were expiring and canon wasn't ready to release. so they did a development announcement.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

justawriter said:
preppyak said:
At least now we know when the forums will be flooded with people complaining
I for one am disgusted that the new camera does not include an integrated popcorn maker and cheese grater.
(just trying to beat the rush) :eek: ;D ;)
Your expectations are very low ... along with the "popcorn maker and cheese grater" I also want an integrated coffee maker. ;D :D

Upvote 0

unfocused said:
viggen61 said:
unfocused said:
Anyone know how NDAs generally work?

Do they usually expire or get lifted before the product is announced, or do companies purposely set the NDA expiration date after their projected announcement date and then lift it once the announcement is made?

I'm guessing the latter. It doesn't seem like they would lift an NDA until they release or announce the product.

So, if the NDAs expire in September, that would be the latest date for a release announcement?

You pretty much want the NDA/Embargo to be lifted coincidentally with if not slightly before the actual announcement. Example: Canon wants to announce something on date X. The NDA/embargo would be lifted at the very latest just before the announcement, but likely a day or more before.

The reason for this is if you want the biggest impact for your announcement, you want everyone who was under the NDA/Embargo - photographers, columnists, reviewers, etc. - to be crowing about your product at the same time as your announcement.

Yeah, as often happens, I don't think I was as clear as I should have been about what I meant. My point really was that if Canon tells those under the NDA/Embargo that "The embargo will expire in September" then it's a near certainty that it will indeed expire in September, because it would be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle and say, "Oh wait, we are now extending the embargo until Oct. 7."

On the other hand, if they tell those under the embargo that it will expire on, say Sept. 15, it is a lot easier to then notify everyone that "we are moving the release date up, so instead of Sept. 15, it will now expire Sept. 7."

I guess what I was clumsily trying to suggest is that if there is a CR3 rumor that the NDAs will expire in September, we can say with some certainty that the announcement will occur no later than September.

I work in the media and deal with NDAs daily.

The NDAs usually expire concurrent to the announcement, sometimes shortly before. Availability is a completely different issue. Canon isn't the only company that announces products months ahead of availability, nor the the only one who misses advertised shipping deadlines.

While it's not the norm, companies sometimes delay embargoes. I haven't worked specifically with Canon, but I work with a lot of companies that are of similar scale and play in some of the same spaces, as well as some significantly bigger companies. The media gets alerted late in the game; professional photographers, retailers, etc. will get an earlier look. If NDAs can change as far into the game as the media-alert stage, then I am sure they can change during the earlier stuff with pro photogs, etc. I've seen some sloppiness around NDAs from external PR agencies, but internal teams are pretty sharp, and I suspect anyone who knows about the 7D replacement (or whatever) right now is working directly with Canon. If Canon needs to move an NDA, it's not going to fall out of touch with those guys. Likewise, I doubt it will have trouble keeping in line those who were already going to honor the embargo in the first place. When the media gets involved, it's a mess, but at this stage, anyone who's been using the device is in a really select group. The reported retail demonstrations open Canon up to a bit more leak vulnerability, I suppose. Anyhow, leaks often come from someone inside the company, or from someone the person holding the NDA happens to inadvertently or ill-advisedly talk to, but less often (at least in my experience) from the person under NDA him/herself.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz said:
justawriter said:
preppyak said:
I for one am disgusted that the new camera does not include an integrated popcorn maker and cheese grater.
Your expectations are very low ... along with the "popcorn maker and cheese grater" I also want an integrated coffee maker. ;D :D
You guys are really missing it - what you really want is the kitchen sink - which is the only thing missing from the 1D X ;D

Upvote 0

mackguyver said:
Rienzphotoz said:
justawriter said:
preppyak said:
You guys are really missing it - what you really want is the kitchen sink - which is the only thing missing from the 1D X ;D
And a pony. No pony is a complete dealbreaker.

Upvote 0

justawriter said:
And a pony. No pony is a complete dealbreaker.

You're really aiming low with the pony. My threshold is a unicorn. But not your ordinary petting zoo unicorn. No, I want a unicorn who farts rainbows (pot of gold at the end included - leprechaun too!) and poops glitter. And not just regular old glitter. This is the most beautiful glitter you've ever seen with 48 stops of dynamic range and it's incredibly sharp too! It's sharpness is so otherworldly that the DxO charts turn black instead of intense green. But there's a built in safety protocol with this glitter so that users don't get cut - it disappears when you touch it, like an exploding bubble. And when it explodes all it leaves behind is visual euphoria, like when you saw boobies for the first time.

This unicorn dispenses hot fudge from it's horn. Why hot fudge? Because the tripod mount dispenses your favorite flavor of ice cream whenever you rotate the mode dial all the way around in a counter clockwise motion. THAT'S WHY!

THEN... I'll buy it.

Maybe.

Upvote 0

lol said:
Any speculations on what *else* the lens could be if not the 100-400L successor?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing them revisit the 10x zoom lenses. I had a 35-350L for a short time, with failing AF so returned to dealer. Although it wasn't quite as good as the 100-400L on the long end, the extra wide end was welcome. I know the 28-300L replaced that, but we're getting a bit short again. Perhaps something like the Sigma 50-500 given the L treatment?

Knowing my luck, it'll be another 400mm f/5.6 prime...

I freaking love my 400mm f/5.6L - but can't imagine an update is on its way. There's going to be the 100-400mm L IS II (with built in unicorn horn screw mount) and asides from a new optical formula, which really isn't bad at all for 5D3 resolution, other upgrades like implementing IS just seem like they'd detract from the niche sellibg points of the prime, namely that it's a small, light workhorse! (...and may eat into 100-400mm sales with less profit if it competes/betters it at 400mm and with IS)

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com

zim said:
Sounds like Canon are about to really push the boat out....... yeh I know I know ;D

Yeah, the banana boat. The 7D2 is so overdue and so little REAL information is out there about it that I refuse to get worked up until I actually read an announcement from Canon. In the meantime, I am going to grab my VERY real, totally awesome 7D and go take some photos.

D

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011

jebrady03 said:
You're really aiming low with the pony. My threshold is a unicorn. But not your ordinary petting zoo unicorn. No, I want a unicorn who farts rainbows (pot of gold at the end included - leprechaun too!) and poops glitter. And not just regular old glitter. This is the most beautiful glitter you've ever seen with 48 stops of dynamic range and it's incredibly sharp too! It's sharpness is so otherworldly that the DxO charts turn black instead of intense green. But there's a built in safety protocol with this glitter so that users don't get cut - it disappears when you touch it, like an exploding bubble. And when it explodes all it leaves behind is visual euphoria, like when you saw boobies for the first time.

This unicorn dispenses hot fudge from it's horn. Why hot fudge? Because the tripod mount dispenses your favorite flavor of ice cream whenever you rotate the mode dial all the way around in a counter clockwise motion. THAT'S WHY!

THEN... I'll buy it.

Maybe.

Gotta be one of the best things I've read here for a while :)

Upvote 0

Canon lens classification is very specific.

Telephoto is a designation that includes 135 to 300 mm non-zoom lenses.

It does not include anything else.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

My wild guess is an Image Stabilized 135mm f/2 for want of any better idea.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

wtlloyd said:

Hmmm, I guess there is a CR2 that RLPhoto will buy you a beer ;D

Upvote 0

dilbert said:
The rumor says:

"new telephoto lens"

which could easily mean a telephoto lens design that currently doesn't exist as well as an update of one that does.

Why not announce a new APS-C telephoto lens with a new APS-C camera?

because there is no point in an aps-c telephoto

Upvote 0

JonAustin said:
Well, the Year of the Lens is officially 1/2 over now. If Canon still plans to live up to that claim, they'd better freaking get busy ...

P.S. 100-400 II, please.

They've released 3 already and one Cinema lens. That makes four. For 6 months that's actually not that bad.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

wtlloyd said:

You are mixing apples and oranges. Canon's official designation has nothing to do with what the source of the rumor may consider to be a telephoto lens.

Upvote 0