EOS 90D - Hands on review

Jan 29, 2011
Pretty sure. Why do you say it isn't fair? By 1:1 do you mean by comparing each at 100%?
Yes if you go 100% on both then the 90D image is enlarged much more, which is an irrelevant 'comparison', if you inspect them both at the same size the 90D is holding a good bit more detail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Pretty sure. Why do you say it isn't fair? By 1:1 do you mean by comparing each at 100%?
At high iso, the signal/noise in modern efficient sensors is proportional to the square root of the number of photons hitting them. That is, proportional to the square root of their areas. If you compare the signal/noise of two APS-C sensors outputted to the same size, they will be very similar. If you compare the S/N at the pixel level, the smaller pixels will be noisier. That’s statistics.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Battery life is phenomenal. I got 1200 shots from a very old battery I get only a few hundred on with a 5DIV. And I always get less shots than most others.

My 5D IV is also a battery hog when compared to my 7D Mark II. I was thinking the batteries were the problem, so after fully charging both sets I put the two I've been using in the 7d Mark II grip in the 5D Mark IV grip and vice-versa. Nope. Exact same results. I can shoot 2,000+ frames with the 7D Mark II and have 40% left in the batteries while only shooting about 400-500 shots with the 5D Mark IV (under identical conditions at the same time) and only have 15-20% left in the batteries. Both WiFi and GPS are turned off and I do very little chimping after setting/checking manual exposure.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Their comparison with the 7Dii says the 90D has higher noise at all higher ISO level's which is disappointing.

That's not totally unexpected. The 80D was the same. It had better DR and SNR at ISO 100-400, and very slightly worse DR and SNR above ISO 800. (As measured by DxO, which normalizes image size for their "Print" measurements.)

Upvote 0
At high iso, the signal/noise in modern efficient sensors is proportional to the square root of the number of photons hitting them. That is, proportional to the square root of their areas. If you compare the signal/noise of two APS-C sensors outputted to the same size, they will be very similar. If you compare the S/N at the pixel level, the smaller pixels will be noisier. That’s statistics.
Hi AlanF, thanks for the work in taking the time to test and compare those lenses on your 90D. I have my 90D now and i have my 7D Mark 2. I will be taking some test shots at all iso settings and also hoping to get some action shots with the camera in the next 3 days. I will try post my opinion as well as sample images here.
cheers
Grant

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I get around of 1800 shots out my 5D IVs on average. Thats a few hundreds over the thousand. Wifi is switched off
Michael also gets far fewer shots on his 5DIV, and there has been discussion elsewhere from others about the 5DIV being a battery hog, including, I recall someone who found it drained his batteries when turned off. So, how do you get so many shots? Are you using manul focus lenses without IS?

My 5D IV is also a battery hog when compared to my 7D Mark II. I was thinking the batteries were the problem, so after fully charging both sets I put the two I've been using in the 7d Mark II grip in the 5D Mark IV grip and vice-versa. Nope. Exact same results. I can shoot 2,000+ frames with the 7D Mark II and have 40% left in the batteries while only shooting about 400-500 shots with the 5D Mark IV (under identical conditions at the same time) and only have 15-20% left in the batteries. Both WiFi and GPS are turned off and I do very little chimping after setting/checking manual exposure.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Michael also gets far fewer shots on his 5DIV, and there has been discussion elsewhere from others about the 5DIV being a battery hog, including, I recall someone who found it drained his batteries when turned off. So, how do you get so many shots? Are you using manul focus lenses without IS?
I shoot usually with a pair of 5D IV, lenses: 24-70/2.8 Ii and 70-200/2.8 II, AF is on
Single shot or continuous all, RAW. All in camera Lens correction is off. GPS is off.
Please note. : I never switch cameras off. They seems to be holding battery in sleep mode really well. I typically shoot with fully charged batteries.
Current firmware. Not sure what gives.
GPS can kill battery really quickly. That has to be off. I suspect that longer lenses would drain batteries even faster as larger AF motors require move energy

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I shoot usually with a pair of 5D IV, lenses: 24-70/2.8 Ii and 70-200/2.8 II, AF is on
Single shot or continuous all, RAW. All in camera Lens correction is off. GPS is off.
Please note. : I never switch cameras off. They seems to be holding battery in sleep mode really well. I typically shoot with fully charged batteries.
Current firmware. Not sure what gives.
GPS can kill battery really quickly. That has to be off. I suspect that longer lenses would drain batteries even faster as larger AF motors require move energy

I was using an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on the 7D Mark II and an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS on the 5D IV on Friday night after I swapped the battery sets.
I'm shooting raw files in both cameras. GPS is turned off in both cameras. All in camera lens correction is off.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I was using an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on the 7D Mark II and an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS on the 5D IV on Friday night after I swapped the battery sets.
I'm shooting raw files in both cameras. GPS is turned off in both cameras. All in camera lens correction is off.
Hi Michael. I have no experience shooting with24-105/4 on 5D iV. Hmm. Really do not know how else our cases are different. I usually do not use much of AI tracking if at all. Single shot, focus and recompose or AI tracking case 2 from memory.
Even with longer lenses I was getting around 1500 shooting sports Ai tracking short bursts of 3-5 shots at a time.
I use flash quite heavily at events indoors outdoors.
You wouldn’t have the DPRAW mode enabled would you?
Unless our hardware is different. As in revision.
I really do not understand what makes my use case any different to yours. And I am quite particular around my use cases. Need at least 1200-1400 shots to cover 1D0222D7-7D73-4D5B-A698-1564F75642B7.jpega play.
Example:

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Hi Michael. I have no experience shooting with24-105/4 on 5D iV. Hmm. Really do not know how else our cases are different. I usually do not use much of AI tracking if at all. Single shot, focus and recompose or AI tracking case 2 from memory.
Even with longer lenses I was getting around 1500 shooting sports Ai tracking short bursts of 3-5 shots at a time.
I use flash quite heavily at events indoors outdoors.
You wouldn’t have the DPRAW mode enabled would you?
Unless our hardware is different. As in revision.
I really do not understand what makes my use case any different to yours. And I am quite particular around my use cases. Need at least 1200-1400 shots to cover View attachment 186703a play.
Example:

No DPraw. No HDR, etc. Just One Shot AF (I use servo with the 70-200 on the 7D Mark II, but tend to prefocus/zone focus with wider angle lenses at f/4 or narrower) to a straight .cr2 file written to one card. That camera does about the same no matter what lens is on it. I also use an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L (original version), EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 50mm f/1.4, and EF 85mm f/1.8 with it as well. Occasionally the 70-200 comes off the 7D Mark II and I use it on the FF, but not usually for extended shoots lasting several hours.

Upvote 0

GreenViper

CR Pro
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Out testing my 90D today. Was mystified by the availability of only a single/spot point AF on my 400 DO with 2x extender (i.e. F8) but 27 focus points for the 100-400II with 1.4x. However if you look in the supplemental information sheet you can see this is correct although annoying. Attempting to focus on a BIF with a single AF point at 800mm was a bit hit and miss....! Pretty snappy with 400 DO II &1.4x though

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Out testing my 90D today. Was mystified by the availability of only a single/spot point AF on my 400 DO with 2x extender (i.e. F8) but 27 focus points for the 100-400II with 1.4x. However if you look in the supplemental information sheet you can see this is correct although annoying. Attempting to focus on a BIF with a single AF point at 800mm was a bit hit and miss....! Pretty snappy with 400 DO II &1.4x though
I hadn't noticed the limitation of AF on the 400mm DO II because one of my conclusions after extensive testing (using centre AF point!) was not to use the 400mm DO II +2xTC. Going to f/8, which is over the DLA, and the high image degradation of a 2xTC can give worse images than using a 1.4xTC. I also use my 400mm DO II only up to 560mm on my 5DSR although I use it regularly with the lower resolution 5DIV. In any case, 800mm on a crop gives too narrow a field of view for me for BIF unless they are slow moving large majestic ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
By the way, as DxO PL cannot as yet handle the .CR3 files, I have been using DPP and PS. Noise suppression is awful with DPP and not good with PS. The other great RAW converter is Photo Ninja which also has excellent noise suppression. As it is also not yet compatible with the 90D RAW but will accept any DNG file, I am using PS to generate DNGs and then converting those with Photo Ninja.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
By the way, as DxO PL cannot as yet handle the .CR3 files, I have been using DPP and PS. Noise suppression is awful with DPP and not good with PS. The other great RAW converter is Photo Ninja which also has excellent noise suppression. As it is also not yet compatible with the 90D RAW but will accept any DNG file, I am using PS to generate DNGs and then converting those with Photo Ninja.
Alan. I have never used DxO PL but your regular comments about its noise suppression capabilities has me thinking I should give it a go. Is it a decent subsitute for LR editing? Not particularly worried about the organization capabilities but just the editing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0