EOS C500 Mark II Going Higher Than 4K? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II is going to be announced some time in mid 2016 and that the camera will likely shoot at a resolution “well above 4K”. Canon “knows it was very late to the 4K market” and does not want to be considered late to the 6K+ world.</p>
<p>The form factor of the camera may change as well, as we’ve heard constant rumors of Canon doing a shoulder style camera in the Cinema EOS line.</p>
<p>The C500 was announced in August of 2012, which was nearly 8 months after the C300. By most accounts the C500 didn’t sell all that well, unlike the C300 which exceeded expectations. It stands to reason that it’ll have to be a more advanced product to justify the price and to have any hope of competing with ARRI.</p>

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Going to be another nice try from Canon..... hell, even the C300, which won't ship until sometime late summer, is being outshined by Blackmagic Design's Ursa Mini camera which costs HALF.

Too much money thinking, too little innovation and customer understanding. The old "let's cover as many bases with mediocrity as humanly possible", instead of making a few very good items at a competitive price point.

Thankfully Canon lenses are easily used on other systems.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
leGreve said:
Going to be another nice try from Canon..... hell, even the C300, which won't ship until sometime late summer, is being outshined by Blackmagic Design's Ursa Mini camera which costs HALF.

Too much money thinking, too little innovation and customer understanding. The old "let's cover as many bases with mediocrity as humanly possible", instead of making a few very good items at a competitive price point.

Yes, the BMD URSA mini is looking pretty good right now. Plus, the sensor is upgradable. Suppose, BMD has a 6K upgradable sensor unit that can be installed? Canon C500 killer, is what it would be.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
gsealy said:
leGreve said:

Love that train of thought :) You just made my mind up buying the Ursa!
Yes, the BMD URSA mini is looking pretty good right now. Plus, the sensor is upgradable. Suppose, BMD has a 6K upgradable sensor unit that can be installed? Canon C500 killer, is what it would be.

Upvote 0
leGreve said:

Has anyone seen footage from the Ursa Mini yet? We had to return several black magic 4K cameras because of bad highlight performance and glitchy firmware. It's frankly crazy to say that the Ursa mini is going to "outshine" the C300 Mk2 when nobody has had their hands on either in real world situations.

I'm actually in the market for a couple cameras for an upcoming documentary and I'm looking at the Ursa mini with the new sensor, but will likely get a couple C300 mark 1s for a fair price of $6999 or under. Most productions still don't need or desire 4k.

I agree that the original C300 was initially overpriced, but it's a great camera and I expect the mark 2 to be another success. There are so many attributes to consider when purchasing a camera and frankly the reason the Canon C300 outsells the black magics is because it's reliable and built by people who understand what you need in the field.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
leGreve said:

The sensor on the Ursa Mini is NOT upgradable - only the Ursa sensor is, sorry. BUT, that new 4.6K sensor available in the mini IS an upgrade option for existing Ursa owners (and the updated Ursa is of course available with it). FYI.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
sirbarton said:
leGreve said:

Has anyone seen footage from the Ursa Mini yet? We had to return several black magic 4K cameras because of bad highlight performance and glitchy firmware. It's frankly crazy to say that the Ursa mini is going to "outshine" the C300 Mk2 when nobody has had their hands on either in real world situations.

I'm actually in the market for a couple cameras for an upcoming documentary and I'm looking at the Ursa mini with the new sensor, but will likely get a couple C300 mark 1s for a fair price of $6999 or under. Most productions still don't need or desire 4k.

I agree that the original C300 was initially overpriced, but it's a great camera and I expect the mark 2 to be another success. There are so many attributes to consider when purchasing a camera and frankly the reason the Canon C300 outsells the black magics is because it's reliable and built by people who understand what you need in the field.

Theres one ripped video on YT...
https://youtu.be/hYjtpsf64WU

Looks pretty damn good to me.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon have to completely redesign the C500 to have a cat in hells chance of competing with Arri the Alexa iS the benchmark currently period. The BM URSA I've never seen on any serious TV show or feature that domain is carved up between Red & Arri with a sprinkling of C300/500 usually on second or third units.
Canon will also face Arri Alexa replacement in 2016 so don't bet the farm too quick on the C500 Arri maybe more expensive but it's almost guaranteed to work and be approved by all broadcasters.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
One obvious direction for the C500 mark ii would be to take it full frame. All the Cinema EOS lenses are designed for it (let's remember that Canon has a history of looking forward with their lens designs--with things like 50mp still camera following a redesign of a significant range of Canon Glass), and full frame would put them on the same ground as Red and sit between Alexa/Amira and the new 65mm Alexa. They could take the tech from the sensor from the C300II and scale it up to full frame and get 6K+ out of it, and then offer a crop mode for EF-S and super35mm lenses. Just a thought.

In reality, I think we're going to see something more ergonomically like the Alexa or F55 with a proper viewfinder. Realistically anything more than 4k is probably a non starter in the market Canon is after. Better 4k is more likely the direction they will go. Ya gotta love how everyone is talking 6k/8k as the next wave, when 4k has almost no support with the general public (or even in the theatrical distribution system short of a few select theaters).

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
leGreve said:

To be fair, the BM products are more like hack designs and hardly quality products. If you want a solid product it costs money to produce that, A camera is more than just a sensor and a lens mount. BM cameras are basically a sensor in a box where costs are cut by using off the shelf components and sticking them all together. Something that is holistically custom designed is obviously going to cost more.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
BM URSA uses CMOSIS CMV12000 sensor the same sensor is used in their BM Cinema camera Id love to measure their 15 stop claim my guess is it will not be 15 stops in real world shooting it will be less.
5.5um pixel pitch as opposed to Arri at around 7.8um who also claim 15 stops we measure cameras with the same device Arri made to test their cameras its very accurate.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2011
bgoyette said:
One obvious direction for the C500 mark ii would be to take it full frame.

This is also a point I'd make -- Canon has a huge full frame lens arsenal which will fit perfectly with full-sensor cameras. I bet Canon is in the midst of strategizing when it comes to their hi-end cameras.

Ya gotta love how everyone is talking 6k/8k as the next wave, when 4k has almost no support with the general public (or even in the theatrical distribution system short of a few select theaters).

Well, keep in mind that 8/6/4k is currently not for the consumer per se -- it's for the post production. E.g., shooting at 4/6/8k is like shooting with several focal-lenses at the same time since you'll then have more leverage to push in, pan across, stabilize and tweak it beyond any regular HD footage -- no matter if its final destination is only 1080p.

-- peer

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
leGreve said:

To be fair, the BM products are more like hack designs and hardly quality products. If you want a solid product it costs money to produce that, A camera is more than just a sensor and a lens mount. BM cameras are basically a sensor in a box where costs are cut by using off the shelf components and sticking them all together. Something that is holistically custom designed is obviously going to cost more.

Yes - This is why 99 out of a 100 DPs would still take a 1080P Alexa shooting ProRes 444 over any Black Magic Camera. I wish Arri could make a prosumer camera....

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Peer said:
bgoyette said:

This is also a point I'd make -- Canon has a huge full frame lens arsenal which will fit perfectly with full-sensor cameras. I bet Canon is in the midst of strategizing when it comes to their hi-end cameras.

Ya gotta love how everyone is talking 6k/8k as the next wave, when 4k has almost no support with the general public (or even in the theatrical distribution system short of a few select theaters).

Well, keep in mind that 8/6/4k is currently not for the consumer per se -- it's for the post production. E.g., shooting at 4/6/8k is like shooting with several focal-lenses at the same time since you'll then have more leverage to push in, pan across, stabilize and tweak it beyond any regular HD footage -- no matter if its final destination is only 1080p.

-- peer

I really think the 6k/8k bandwagon is simply this: an ultra-niche concept that of course all the entitled 22 year olds that "own" dragons are just going to have to have. There are few places that need that kind of bandwidth, and even fewer systems that will be able to handle it, all so what?..we don't have to make framing decisions or hold our cameras properly? Sorry if I sound like an old man, ( I am)...but it's ridiculous.

Look I've owned digital Hasselblads for over a decade. I know for resolution. I'm in the biz of shooting and printing very large photos that are viewed very close. I'm a relative niche player in a field where there are thousands of producers who actually need that type of resolution (as opposed to millions that don't). I'd never suggest to my flickr pals that they need 40/50/60 MP so they can show off on the internet. The only people who will ever need 6k and 8k are doing some awfully high end compositing work, or are exhibiting in IMAX(sure Johnny...you'll see your pictures on that big screen someday). Peter Jackson can order as many as he wants, but there's absolutely no reason why some kid shooting music videos would ever need it.(or really ever be able to focus it!)...but it sure sells some Reds. For quite some time in the future, we'll see the VAST majority of 4k users finishing their projects in 2k or HD.... I simply don't see Canon going there (6k/8k) for any reason, not now, and probably not for a long time, (other than to make a hybrid video/still camera that finalizes the convergence of the two mediums.).

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
bgoyette said:
Peer said:
bgoyette said:

-- peer

I really think the 6k/8k bandwagon is simply this: an ultra-niche concept that of course all the entitled 22 year olds that "own" dragons are just going to have to have. There are few places that need that kind of bandwidth, and even fewer systems that will be able to handle it, all so what?..we don't have to make framing decisions or hold our cameras properly? Sorry if I sound like an old man, ( I am)...but it's ridiculous.

Look I've owned digital Hasselblads for over a decade. I know for resolution. I'm in the biz of shooting and printing very large photos that are viewed very close. I'm a relative niche player in a field where there are thousands of producers who actually need that type of resolution (as opposed to millions that don't). I'd never suggest to my flickr pals that they need 40/50/60 MP so they can show off on the internet. The only people who will ever need 6k and 8k are doing some awfully high end compositing work, or are exhibiting in IMAX(sure Johnny...you'll see your pictures on that big screen someday). Peter Jackson can order as many as he wants, but there's absolutely no reason why some kid shooting music videos would ever need it.(or really ever be able to focus it!)...but it sure sells some Reds. For quite some time in the future, we'll see the VAST majority of 4k users finishing their projects in 2k or HD.... I simply don't see Canon going there (6k/8k) for any reason, not now, and probably not for a long time, (other than to make a hybrid video/still camera that finalizes the convergence of the two mediums.).

All of my footage from here on in will be finished in 4K. I'm not shooting anything in HD anymore.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Tugela said:
bgoyette said:
Peer said:
bgoyette said:

-- peer

All of my footage from here on in will be finished in 4K. I'm not shooting anything in HD anymore.

It's great that you are a true believer. But.. What percentage of your clients require or even accept 4k delivery? Just curious.

Upvote 0