EOS C500 Mark II Going Higher Than 4K? [CR1]

I understand people here are much more into photography and know lots more about that than I do, so to deliver the point of 6/8K video:

1080p is 2 megapixel frames
4K is 8 megapixel frames
6K is 20 megapixel frames
8K is 34 megapixel frames

Wanting higher resolution in video is the same reason you guys want to shoot 8mp instead of 2, it's just better and bigger, giving more versatlity and better IQ all things being equal. Once you start shooting 4k for 1080p delivery, you'll never go back, it's a very very attractive concept with lots of benefits, now I don't like shooting at 1080p and deliver at the exact same resolution, especially when most cameras are not even real 1080p. It's a bit confining.

-For the same reason I and all broadcasters shoot HD for SD television
-and why we shoot 4K for 1080p delivery
-people who deliver at 4k want to shoot at 6K

8K? well that's a bit over the top. Imagine how huge of a machine and how big of a file if there was a camera that shot D810 images at 24fps for hours continuously. It will happen someday but not now, not even in 5 years, it's overkill just like 36mp D800 stills are overkill for most needs. 20 is the maximum sweet spot in my opinion. And 8 4K) is the sweet spot for 95% of needs. 2? well it's a bit too small now.

Canon now have video camera competition in the market from 400$ to 16K$, the entry level to Pro F5/Scarlet/FS7 market, what they lack now and what I believe they must be preparing for is a high end one to compete with the Alexa, Weapon and 35mm film for feature/hollywood dominance. I know for a fact that Canon's policy is dominating the cinema market and being ''the'' top end product in the industry, displacing the competitor we all know and love.

So that's where the C500 will fit, an Alexa rival.

Fortunately, Canon has already set the bar very high with the C300II, which is a
ower end model, in having 4K, 15 stops of DR, super slowmotion, industry-adored colours, effecient ProRes-like codec as well as a few extras like Dual Pixel AF and size, something nonody else have. In that sense, the C300II on paper is in fact ajrad of the alexa and a worthy rival. but as we all know, specs are not everything, and the top-end DPs know that fact, so that's what Canon should aim at with the next C500, aim at what makes the Alexa popular,

-The colour science
-DR, especially highlight rendition
-Incrideble robustness, FAR higher than C300
-Effecient ProRes codec in addition of internal ArriRaw
-High frame rates

and in case of the Alexa 65, all of that plus large format and super high resolution.

So Canon should address all of these, both the Alexa & Alexa 65 and Alexa Mini and Amira specs and versatility all in one product.

-It must be rugged, steel rugged, and size is not and issue, neither is weight.
-It must have great DR and Highlight handling, skin and overal film feel
-If they want to address the Alexa65 as well, they can go for a Full Frame sensor, a scaled up 35mm 6K sensor from the C300II, with 15 stops of DR and large image format.
-It must have an industry effecient codec, XF-AVC and XAVC are proofing to be ProRea like so that's covered.
-It must have internal Raw recording to large media.
-It must have high frame rates, at both 4K and 1080p. 4K 120p (which current C500 doea) and at least 240p at 1080p.
-To kill the Amira as well, it can be shoulder mounted with great ergonomics.

*Price does not matter here, just make it happen.Give us a 35mm rival camera like the Alexa, that's what the top end needs and wants.

Upvote 0