EOS M Announcement in the Summer? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobby Shooter said:
c.d.embrey said:
Hobby Shooter said:
andyjaggy said:
dilbert said:
It was mentioned that Canon doesn’t have plans currently to launch more EOS M prime lenses, as they see the segment as “entry level”. I’m not sure I agree with that if true.

Nor I and if Canon have said that then it shows a rather remarkable disconnect with where digital photography is going.

Yeah same here. More and more I see really good photographers drawn towards smaller powerful bodies. This confirms that Canon is completely lost. Maybe they see is as entry level because their current offering is half baked and not selling well.
So could you please elaborate on this subject instead of coming up with these blanket statements?
I don't know about Very Serious Photo Enthusiasts, but some Pro shooters are switching to mirrorless.

Hers's one http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/2013/5/15/m43-strutting-its-stuff

And here's another "Good enough for Vogue Italia, good enough for me." http://jonathanposner.tumblr.com/post/40780795719/my-olympus-challenge-10

And a third https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3dSWa5rcVlw
Hi, thanks for the links, checked out Posner and McGillicuddy. It probably makes sense to some people shooting in certain situations. I guess where resolution, AF and probably other areas I can't think of now matters, people will need DSLRs even in the future. This Posner guy doesn't really come out as very confident explaining his choice. It seems to me he has to justify it to the reader. Does he believe in himself or is it a way of creating buzz around him?

Anyway, as said by me and many, competition is good. It'll be interesting to see where we are in five years.

Thom Hogan basically ditched his DX kit for an OMD kit... If Canon doesn't get the M up to speed soon, they will have very serious issues in the near future...

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Just can figure these AF comments out at all.

Folk making them either:

Mindlessly repeat what they've read without thinking

Haven't used the camera

or Haven't used the camera properly set up.

I was shooting at dusk last night with a ND64 and CPL on my 22mm and it was working fine. Is slow with my Sigma 70mm, but then so are the rest of my cameras.

If you use the camera in moron mode with totally automatic AF select then you have no right to complain that it doesn't work as well as your DSLR in moron mode.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
paul13walnut5 said:
Just can figure these AF comments out at all.

Folk making them either:

Mindlessly repeat what they've read without thinking

Haven't used the camera

or Haven't used the camera properly set up.

I was shooting at dusk last night with a ND64 and CPL on my 22mm and it was working fine. Is slow with my Sigma 70mm, but then so are the rest of my cameras.

If you use the camera in moron mode with totally automatic AF select then you have no right to complain that it doesn't work as well as your DSLR in moron mode.

You're making me feel dumb. My camera is set to "M" most of the time...

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Red2

Switched to AF operation> One shot AF

Switched to AF Method > flexizoneAF []

Switched to Continuous AF > Disable

Switched to Focus Mode > AF+MF or > MF

I AM THE FIRST TO ADMIT that such intricacies of the menu are probably well beyond the target market, but I'll also defy anybody to use the camera with the above settings, using either screen touch on or screen touch off (or indeed via the trash button to centre the AF spot) to tell me the camera has unacceptably slow AF.

Canon got it wrong with the M. They thought that casual users wouldn't care about AF speed, and thought that enthusiasts understood how AF worked. They were wrong on both counts.

The AF speed is fine if you understand how AF works and have reasonable expectations.

I have a 7D, the M won't replace it. If you have a 5D3 or 1DX, the M wont replace it. We knew that.

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask. I'm a video guy. Af is kind of heresy to me anyway. But I've used just about every EOS made (either in previous lives as a happy snapper, student, photographic retailer or as I do now, to earn a crust) and I like the M.

@Brad-man

M is for Masochist. It's also the mode I use on any camera.

Green square is moron mode. And the M is lousy in that mode. See above.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
c.d.embrey said:
RGF said:
to be successful, need good (if not great AF) and an adaptor (already have this, but needs to continue to work) for EOS EF and EF-S lenses.

Why would I want to use BIG/HEAVY DSLR lenses on my mirrorless cameras?? When I dump my DSLRs the lenses will go as well. For me, NO adapter wanted or needed. YMMV ;)

+1...faster AF and more pancake lenses, not the bulky stuff.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
c.d.embrey said:
RGF said:
to be successful, need good (if not great AF) and an adaptor (already have this, but needs to continue to work) for EOS EF and EF-S lenses.

Why would I want to use BIG/HEAVY DSLR lenses on my mirrorless cameras?? When I dump my DSLRs the lenses will go as well. For me, NO adapter wanted or needed. YMMV ;)

Depending upon the crop, my 500/600 could reach to nearly 2000mm equivalent

Less equipment to carry - used the M as a backup body. Have M specific lens for sure, give it more functionality,not less

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.