EOS M3 24 MP Sensor?

I'm inclined to believe there's a non-DPAF 24mp sensor that the 'III' suffix really belongs to, as in "Hybrid AF III" and not "we've skipped I and II but here's a 24mp DPAF III!"

Wasn't there a spec list for the new Rebel somewhere that mentioned a Hybrid AF III? Looks like someone's stringing along various acronyms and numerals they've seen knocking about and imagined themselves a dodgy new product!

Upvote 0
Khufu said:
I'm inclined to believe there's a non-DPAF 24mp sensor that the 'III' suffix really belongs to, as in "Hybrid AF III" and not "we've skipped I and II but here's a 24mp DPAF III!"

Wasn't there a spec list for the new Rebel somewhere that mentioned a Hybrid AF III? Looks like someone's stringing along various acronyms and numerals they've seen knocking about and imagined themselves a dodgy new product!

Could be a mix up there between the Dual Pixel and Hybrid but note that the first version of Dual Pixel AF was the 70D and then we saw a similar but slightly modified sensor in the 7DII making it DPAF II and if these rumors are true this 24MP sensor would be the third iteration of Dual Pixel.

My guess is it will have a hand-me-down sensor from the 70D and about 5fps. Maybe NFC. Optional VF. I can't see them doing a completely new 24MP sensor with 7fps in an EOS M.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
IF the Canon EOS M3 indeed comes with
* 24 MP APS-C Sony sensor ... as in A6000 (or even upcoming A7000)
* plus further improved AF system (Mk. III) from Sony A6000 (or A7000)
* plus EVF (as in Sony A6000 or upcoming A7000)
* at a price not higher than Sony A6000 (or A7000) and available as "body only, w/o kit lens"
I will pre-order on Day 1. 8)

"M3 will be announced shortly, but no info re. specs available yet" - is also contained in the latest rumor re. Canon 5DS and 5DSR -> http://digicame-info.com/2015/01/eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r.html

それから、EOS M3 が発表されることも確認されました。EOS M3のスペックは今のところ分かりません。
Then, was also confirmed that the EOS M3 will be announced. Specs of EOS M3 does not know for now.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
rs said:
The typical crop factor for other manufacturers APS-C cameras is 1.5x. No-one else uses 1.6x, so that suggests it can't be an off-the-shelf Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor.
However, if you crop 28MP Samsung (1.5x) crop down to Canon (1.6x) crop then you get 24.6MP.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
jefflinde said:
more people are able and willing to buy it. I hope it comes out just like the rumor.

And some more will be kept away as well. The actual design didn't look very successful. For this class of cameras, low price is not really a driver. It's going to be expensive anyway, especially if you need - and buy - lenses. So keeping the spec down only delivers a camera that is maybe only marginally better than fixed lens one - or even worse (i.e. less compact), while external O/EVF are usually far clumsier to use, and won't attract many users who would buy a camera with a built in one, but not a camera + external VF, and not due to the price.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
jefflinde said:
more people are able and willing to buy it. I hope it comes out just like the rumor.

And some more will be kept away as well. The actual design didn't look very successful. For this class of cameras, low price is not really a driver. It's going to be expensive anyway, especially if you need - and buy - lenses. So keeping the spec down only delivers a camera that is maybe only marginally better than fixed lens one - or even worse (i.e. less compact), while external O/EVF are usually far clumsier to use, and won't attract many users who would buy a camera with a built in one, but not a camera + external VF, and not due to the price.

I disagree on a couple points.

The design was not the reason that the camera was not successful. the poor focusing and lack of native lenses was why it was unsuccessful. more buttons and wiz bangs does not make a camera easier to use. I actually find the touch screen easier to manually control the camera than dials and buttons. Furthermore what is successful? in non-US markets the EOS M was fairly successful and it is not like i see a ton of non-canon MILC cameras in the wild anyways. I hear lots of talk about Sony but i see very few of them in regular peoples hands.

I don't want canon to keep specs down and i actually never said that. what i said was that they should not bake in the EVF. Canon has a target price point and they will fill the camera with features until that price point is hit. Now if the PP is $2000 then you will get great focusing and EVF and all that fun stuff. however, how many $2000 EOS M's do you think that canon will sell. Not many is the answer. So realistically the PP is going to be $7-$800. So, what i said was that i want all the features that i can get for $800 and i dont want EVF to be one of those. I would rather have faster focusing, more FPS, better DR, DPAF, flippy screen ect. Then if i choose to add an EVF i can.

I dont care if my spec sheet is better than that of a Sony or a Olympus. I want my camera to take great pictures and work with the canon gear i already have. if i was a spec sheet shooter then i would already own a Sony or an Olympus. i think most people know that having the best spec sheet does not mean you take great pics and i really hope that canon knows that too.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
At a price point of USD/€ 799 I do expect a built-in EVF - left top corner on thee backside please [rangefinder style].
Just like a Sony A6000 [or upcoming A7000]. Plus fully competitive sensor, fully competitive AF system, WiFi built-in, NFC built in, GPS built in, RT-commander built in.

799 USD/€ is more than enough dough to finally come up with a freakin' decent mass-market APS-C sensored MILC! Actually, I would like the EVF to be the first 4k resoultion EVF in any camera. Oterwise, I doi not want anything 4k in it. ;)

The EOS-M failed at first, because greedy Canon wanted 899 for a sub-par, uncompetitive camera without any viewfinder, old sensor and dead-slow AF system (prior to FW update). There is no reason on earth, why a Canon EOS M should be one cent more expensive than a similar Rebel [SL 1] ... we'd actually be looking at 449 € then.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
At a price point of USD/€ 799 I do expect a built-in EVF - left top corner on thee backside please [rangefinder style].
Just like a Sony A6000 [or upcoming A7000]. Plus fully competitive sensor, fully competitive AF system, WiFi built-in, NFC built in, GPS built in, RT-commander built in.
I would gladly have GPS and NFC left out if it meant keeping the side down. I would also be okay with an add on EVF for the same reason, though we have seen other manufactures keep their cameras small and still include built in EVFs.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
1Zach1 said:
AvTvM said:
I would gladly have GPS and NFC left out if it meant keeping the side down. I would also be okay with an add on EVF for the same reason, though we have seen other manufactures keep their cameras small and still include built in EVFs.

I would be perfectly OK with a size like Sony A6000 including viewfinder. Those radio-chips Wifi, GPS, NFC, Bluetooth, RT ... can be built really really tiny, by the way. All of them together can be fitted on a thumbnail-sized PCB - as in any smartphone. Antennas will fit around the LCD-frame. No size issue whatsoever. But an energy management challenge ... therefore all of these radio-modules should be easily user switchable - plus one touch screen symbol "flight mode" .. as on any smartphone.. Everything is invented already.

Moving to A6000 size would also allow the EOS M3 to use a regular capacity LP-E6N battery with 12+ Watthours of juice. That should give it around 500 shot capability.

I'd really love to have a chat with the EOS-M engineers/design team and afterwards go to bat with that old fart Canon Imaging Division Head ... Masado Maeda. ;D

Upvote 0