EOS R and 135 L issue?

Dec 13, 2010
Hi good people!

I recently bought a 135 L to use with my R.

But I get seriously disappointing results regarding Servo AF. My RF50 can’t miss, and the 135 can’t hit.

It’s okay, but only okay, in One Shot and in servo I get a 2 out of 15 shots sharp, the rest is so OOF you can’t tell who I took a picture of.

Anyone has used this combo and like to chime in with your experience?

Thanks!

Not too much to go on, but my R would not focus the 300/4 non-IS or the 300/4 IS with one particular filter, which is a Hoya HMC 1B. That filter works just fine on the 24-105/4. And the one that was on the 24-105/4 is now on the 300/4 IS and it works fine. Dunno what was going on there. I've tried "tilting" a filter in front of the 300/4 IS, and it didn't do squat.

At any rate, if you have a filter on the lens, try focus with it off.

Also, what focusing spot(s) were you using? I've shot a lot of servo with my R and its miss rate is less than 2 percent (based on 1000+ shots in one session).

Upvote 0

StoicalEtcher

CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Yorkshire
Viggo,

Have you tried the lens on another (non-mirrorless) body? If your lens is "okay, but only ok" in one shot mode, I just wondered whether the lens has a fault, perhaps with the AF motor not responding at correct speeds? Was it a new or second hand purchase?

(Don't have an R myself, so can't try out my 135 on it!).

Stoical.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Viggo,

Have you tried the lens on another (non-mirrorless) body? If your lens is "okay, but only ok" in one shot mode, I just wondered whether the lens has a fault, perhaps with the AF motor not responding at correct speeds? Was it a new or second hand purchase?

(Don't have an R myself, so can't try out my 135 on it!).

Stoical.
It was bought second hand, and immediately thought it was an issue with it. I’ve had it a thousand times before, at least ten different copies, and I’ve had those who are very soft and/or poor AF, and I’ve had those that are epic in every way, nothing in between. I sent a message to the seller and told him this and he thought I had broken it, but I literally just took it out of the box and tried. So he refused to take it back unless he got it back and THEN, perhaps l, refund me, not gonna happen.

I have no other body to try it on atm.

There is this slight squeaky noise from the AF motor I’ve experienced before and that time it was the same missing shots behavior and the lens was replaced with a new one.

We have this system in Norway where we can report cases like this and some third party person will help us resolve this, I have reported it, but it will take 12-15 weeks ...

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Used the 135 F2 and the R at a gig end of last year - someone else had mentioned 135/R issues in a post around the same time.
Light levels were pretty low but the performance was less than stellar.
Had issues with It focusing and if it did lock on focus it started to hunt.
Eventually I switched on the focus limiter and it behaved a bit better.
Was just too frustrating to use so switched back to RF50 and the 85IS
I have used various other EF lenses in same vanue without any issues.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Used the 135 F2 and the R at a gig end of last year - someone else had mentioned 135/R issues in a post around the same time.
Light levels were pretty low but the performance was less than stellar.
Had issues with It focusing and if it did lock on focus it started to hunt.
Eventually I switched on the focus limiter and it behaved a bit better.
Was just too frustrating to use so switched back to RF50 and the 85IS
I have used various other EF lenses in same vanue without any issues.
Thanks for chiming in, exactly like these experiences I was looking for (y)

I can’t really afford the RF85, but it looks like I’m going for that anyway then. I had the 85 IS, and didn’t like it all that much. But I’m counting on the RF85 will be similar to my RF50 and that thing is spectacular .

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
And you were shooting what sort of subject material with the 135/2 on your R ?

Lighting conditions?

I'm trying to get a good understanding of the situation.
I tried indoors in very nice daylight, and in both clouded and sunny daylight and did all I can to optimize the conditions. I tried shooting my wife walking slow slow, and my kids walking and running.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It was bought second hand, and immediately thought it was an issue with it. I’ve had it a thousand times before, at least ten different copies, and I’ve had those who are very soft and/or poor AF, and I’ve had those that are epic in every way, nothing in between. I sent a message to the seller and told him this and he thought I had broken it, but I literally just took it out of the box and tried. So he refused to take it back unless he got it back and THEN, perhaps l, refund me, not gonna happen.

I have no other body to try it on atm.

There is this slight squeaky noise from the AF motor I’ve experienced before and that time it was the same missing shots behavior and the lens was replaced with a new one.

We have this system in Norway where we can report cases like this and some third party person will help us resolve this, I have reported it, but it will take 12-15 weeks ...
Sorry ho have an issue with your lens.
But thanks for the warning, the 135 f.2 i wanted to buy used, I'll buy brand-new from a local dealer. So, if I get an underwhelming one, I'll just bring it back!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thanks!

It’s not in focus priority mode, it’s with 5 fps.

I have tried with and without filter.

I’ve tried the small AF point, the larger, center and edges, tracking with face and/or Eye, expanded with 4.

I have used it like I use my RF50 and comparing the two I get less misses with the 50 than I get hits with the 135.

Are you willing to try setting your camera to maximum level of focus priority mode and give this another go? I suspect that lens is not fast enough to acquire focus and camera fires regardless of the AF acquisition status. just a guess at this stage..

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Are you willing to try setting your camera to maximum level of focus priority mode and give this another go? I suspect that lens is not fast enough to acquire focus and camera fires regardless of the AF acquisition status. just a guess at this stage..
Sure, but as I said, I’ve had a lot of 135’s before and shot soccer and other action with amazing hitrate (y)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sure, but as I said, I’ve had a lot of 135’s before and shot soccer and other action with amazing hitrate (y)
attached to EOS R camera? I guess, no. Focusing algos and communications have been changed since EF days. Plus mount adaptor, plus EF to R conversion. so many factors to consider, plus DPAF vs traditional PD. I read people reporting Skylight 1B filters skewing R AF ability. 1B filters cut off a specific light spectrum:

Reduces the excessive bluishness that frequently occurs in outdoor color photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky. The absorption peak is in the range which corresponds to the film's green spectrum. This means outstanding outdoor shots with superb color balance and clarity under all conditions. Also keeps skin tones free of colored reflections from nearby objects such as the shade of trees.
skylight_transm.gif

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
attached to EOS R camera? I guess, no. Focusing algos and communications have been changed since EF days. Plus mount adaptor, plus EF to R conversion. so many factors to consider, plus DPAF vs traditional PD. I read people reporting Skylight 1B filters skewing R AF ability. 1B filters cut off a specific light spectrum:

Reduces the excessive bluishness that frequently occurs in outdoor color photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky. The absorption peak is in the range which corresponds to the film's green spectrum. This means outstanding outdoor shots with superb color balance and clarity under all conditions. Also keeps skin tones free of colored reflections from nearby objects such as the shade of trees.
skylight_transm.gif
I had no filter and a BW clear filter, made no difference.

I haven’t tried many 135’s with the R, that’s true, but I have used the 35 L II and 85 L IS along the RF 50, both EF lenses performed way better than on my old 1dx2. So would find it weird the 135 was somehow incompatible.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I had no filter and a BW clear filter, made no difference.

I haven’t tried many 135’s with the R, that’s true, but I have used the 35 L II and 85 L IS along the RF 50, both EF lenses performed way better than on my old 1dx2. So would find it weird the 135 was somehow incompatible.
Viggo, I mentioned skylight 1b filter only as example how R AF Behavior is vastly different to old school EF.
35ii, 85 IS are a newish lenses, different moto, electronics, firmware, algorithms and what’s not. We are looking at a backward compatibility issue. Goes to show that not all Canon EF lenses are well suited to work on RF. Perhaps firmware specific.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Viggo, I mentioned skylight 1b filter only as example how R AF Behavior is vastly different to old school EF.
35ii, 85 IS are a newish lenses, different moto, electronics, firmware, algorithms and what’s not. We are looking at a backward compatibility issue. Goes to show that not all Canon EF lenses are well suited to work on RF. Perhaps firmware specific.
Or perhaps my 135 is a bad copy like a few I’ve already had and had repaired :D

Upvote 0
I read people reporting Skylight 1B filters skewing R AF ability

Don't over-think that. I had the filter problem, but it was just by chance a 1B which I use as "protective" (and please not drift this thread to "protective filter or not"). A different 1B, of the same exact make and type, worked fine, so there was something going on with the glass, not the color.

I didn't try for 5FPS when I shot servo. It was servo and lots of single shots, and it worked great. I'm wondering if Viggio is just asking the camera to do something its processor is unable to keep up with? In that case, undo all the "power saving" and such, undo some or all of the lens correction settings. And, try again.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Don't over-think that. I had the filter problem, but it was just by chance a 1B which I use as "protective" (and please not drift this thread to "protective filter or not"). A different 1B, of the same exact make and type, worked fine, so there was something going on with the glass, not the color.

I didn't try for 5FPS when I shot servo. It was servo and lots of single shots, and it worked great. I'm wondering if Viggio is just asking the camera to do something its processor is unable to keep up with? In that case, undo all the "power saving" and such, undo some or all of the lens correction settings. And, try again.
Please read carefully, I said that 1b filter is just an example of an RF specific issue not relevant to EF.
Spectrum cut off isn’t a color. But never mind. It has nothing to do with photography. Boring technical stuff.

Upvote 0