EOS R as second camera?

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
I'm a stills only guy, so video features don't matter (portrait / fashion... model boot camps and fashion shows). I also almost never use continuous shooting anymore. It may occasionally happen with a model walking towards me. Full frame is important to me. Getting a second camera with a button layout similar, or the same, as my 5D Mark III (still a great camera in my book) used to be a big deal in my mind, but maybe not so much anymore. As such, the new R has slowly made it's way up the ladder on my list as a new camera I might be interested in by next Christmas vs a 5D mark IV.

The reasons for this are an infatuation with the new RF 50 f/1.2, RF 28-70 f/2, price, and security (yes, security). I do most shooting (99%) with my 24-70, 70-200, and 135mm. I'd like to not have to change lenses during a shoot and quickly get a different perspective sometimes. Nobody carries my bag for me and I shoot these models in very public places with a lot of foot traffic (downtown areas like Mobile, Birmingham, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, DFW, and next September... New York City). Sometimes I can be a few feet from my bag and I worry about theft while I'm not looking. I'm too big and old to chase anyone down. So my idea is to run with the 24-70 on one camera and 70-200 or 135 on the other.

For stills only, I am thinking the recently released R might be a good choice. It isn't something I have to have, but makes sense to me for my particular uses. I'm thinking there might be some good sales / rebates near the end of the year on the R and the 5D mark IV. Also, a second FF camera would be insurance against failure of the first during an event.

For you folks that shoot mostly stills, what do you think? Any other ideas? Using my Olympus as a second camera is out of the question. That's really for my tiny wife. I almost hate using it. Using another brand is also out. I really would value the ideas of those who already use the R. How's your AF hit rate adapting EF to the R? How is the focus peaking working for you on manual lenses? No, the 6D and 6D Mark II are not options I will consider.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
I'm a stills only guy, so video features don't matter (portrait / fashion... model boot camps and fashion shows). I also almost never use continuous shooting anymore. It may occasionally happen with a model walking towards me. Full frame is important to me. Getting a second camera with a button layout similar, or the same, as my 5D Mark III (still a great camera in my book) used to be a big deal in my mind, but maybe not so much anymore. As such, the new R has slowly made it's way up the ladder on my list as a new camera I might be interested in by next Christmas vs a 5D mark IV.

The reasons for this are an infatuation with the new RF 50 f/1.2, RF 28-70 f/2, price, and security (yes, security). I do most shooting (99%) with my 24-70, 70-200, and 135mm. I'd like to not have to change lenses during a shoot and quickly get a different perspective sometimes. Nobody carries my bag for me and I shoot these models in very public places with a lot of foot traffic (downtown areas like Mobile, Birmingham, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, DFW, and next September... New York City). Sometimes I can be a few feet from my bag and I worry about theft while I'm not looking. I'm too big and old to chase anyone down. So my idea is to run with the 24-70 on one camera and 70-200 or 135 on the other.

For stills only, I am thinking the recently released R might be a good choice. It isn't something I have to have, but makes sense to me for my particular uses. I'm thinking there might be some good sales / rebates near the end of the year on the R and the 5D mark IV. Also, a second FF camera would be insurance against failure of the first during an event.

For you folks that shoot mostly stills, what do you think? Any other ideas? Using my Olympus as a second camera is out of the question. That's really for my tiny wife. I almost hate using it. Using another brand is also out. I really would value the ideas of those who already use the R. How's your AF hit rate adapting EF to the R? How is the focus peaking working for you on manual lenses? No, the 6D and 6D Mark II are not options I will consider.
I think this underlines many semi pro / pro's frustrations with this camera system. We all love the idea and the fantastic lenses...but we are all a bit "meh" about the camera body. It's a head scratcher for sure. I have been using a pair of 5DIII''s for many years and one of my camera bodies is up for renewal later this year. So...a mk4 would be the obvious choice and it's a fine camera and probably the best and most versatile that Canon have ever produced. And then there's this new R....Hmmm. I'm just not sure I'd like it in the long term compared to a mk4. If I already had a pair of mk4's and I needed a 3rd camera that I could put up with it's oddities...then maybe an R....but only maybe. I kind of feel wrong about spending £2k (UKP) on a camera body just to get access to some very nice but seriously over priced lenses. Me...I love a good '50mm but £5K is very steep just for a great '50....

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I didn’t notice any difference in AF with the 85 L IS on the R vs 1dx2. What I did notice was the difference
in quality of focus, the R made the most out of it’s sharpness always. I sometimes use magnified view to MF or I use those arrows, both options are superb. I’ve tried peaking also, but being colorblind I find it hard to see, there’s always conflicting colors between peaking and subject for me. Plus it doesn’t seem as accurate as the two other options.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... We all love the idea and the fantastic lenses...but we are all a bit "meh" about the camera body. It's a head scratcher for sure. ...
This hits the nail right on the head.

To me this is a nice and exiting time, as I do not plan any major changes to my setup.
I see the high potential in the R system, I really, really like what RF lenses can deliver, but I wouldn't care about buing the EOS R comming from my 5D3.
A friend of mine had it for 3 weeks and told me it's nice and the AF is fast and accurate. But he doesn't like the EVF and the handling of the body.
So to me the R only offers the small form factor and the "first adaptor" feeling as an advantage.
But layout and handling is very different, he said.

I would wait for some more pro body or - if there is no time for waiting - go for another 5D3 or 5D4.
Personally I just lean back, relax and wait what Canon has in the pipeline.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
The R is a very good choice for you, I assume you do not use two memory cards? If you use two cards, you might not like the single one.

I have both the R and a 5D MK IV. Overall, the 5D MK IV is definitely better, but for specific uses. the R might win out. I have often used my 5D IV in live view mode, and its very similar to my R but no evf, which limits it. Thats why I bought the R, for the 80% of my shots that can use live view just fine.

The main issue is the freezing of the display for a short period after a shot, if you are tracking a erratically moving subject, it can be frustrating when its moved out of the viewfinder between shots, but models are not usually fast or erratically moving, and the eye AF works better than my 5D IV.

A secondary mention is that you need to turn off the image review, you can't shoot a sucessive shot immediately when its on. (thats also the same for live view on the 5D IV).

I find that my R is still getting the most use now and I bought it the first day it was available. I'm conflicted about selling my 5D MK IV and starting to buy "R" lenses.

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
The R is a very good choice for you, I assume you do not use two memory cards? If you use two cards, you might not like the single one.

I have both the R and a 5D MK IV. Overall, the 5D MK IV is definitely better, but for specific uses. the R might win out. I have often used my 5D IV in live view mode, and its very similar to my R but no evf, which limits it. Thats why I bought the R, for the 80% of my shots that can use live view just fine.

The main issue is the freezing of the display for a short period after a shot, if you are tracking a erratically moving subject, it can be frustrating when its moved out of the viewfinder between shots, but models are not usually fast or erratically moving, and the eye AF works better than my 5D IV.

A secondary mention is that you need to turn off the image review, you can't shoot a sucessive shot immediately when its on. (thats also the same for live view on the 5D IV).

I find that my R is still getting the most use now and I bought it the first day it was available. I'm conflicted about selling my 5D MK IV and starting to buy "R" lenses.
Thank you. Same with my Olympus and the image review. Glad to read you are having a good experience. I do use 2 cards in the 5D III and it won't go away. That is a concern with the R for me.