EOS R as second camera?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm a stills only guy, so video features don't matter (portrait / fashion... model boot camps and fashion shows). I also almost never use continuous shooting anymore. It may occasionally happen with a model walking towards me. Full frame is important to me. Getting a second camera with a button layout similar, or the same, as my 5D Mark III (still a great camera in my book) used to be a big deal in my mind, but maybe not so much anymore. As such, the new R has slowly made it's way up the ladder on my list as a new camera I might be interested in by next Christmas vs a 5D mark IV.

The reasons for this are an infatuation with the new RF 50 f/1.2, RF 28-70 f/2, price, and security (yes, security). I do most shooting (99%) with my 24-70, 70-200, and 135mm. I'd like to not have to change lenses during a shoot and quickly get a different perspective sometimes. Nobody carries my bag for me and I shoot these models in very public places with a lot of foot traffic (downtown areas like Mobile, Birmingham, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, DFW, and next September... New York City). Sometimes I can be a few feet from my bag and I worry about theft while I'm not looking. I'm too big and old to chase anyone down. So my idea is to run with the 24-70 on one camera and 70-200 or 135 on the other.

For stills only, I am thinking the recently released R might be a good choice. It isn't something I have to have, but makes sense to me for my particular uses. I'm thinking there might be some good sales / rebates near the end of the year on the R and the 5D mark IV. Also, a second FF camera would be insurance against failure of the first during an event.

For you folks that shoot mostly stills, what do you think? Any other ideas? Using my Olympus as a second camera is out of the question. That's really for my tiny wife. I almost hate using it. Using another brand is also out. I really would value the ideas of those who already use the R. How's your AF hit rate adapting EF to the R? How is the focus peaking working for you on manual lenses? No, the 6D and 6D Mark II are not options I will consider.

Last edited:
I'm a stills only guy, so video features don't matter (portrait / fashion... model boot camps and fashion shows). I also almost never use continuous shooting anymore. It may occasionally happen with a model walking towards me. Full frame is important to me. Getting a second camera with a button layout similar, or the same, as my 5D Mark III (still a great camera in my book) used to be a big deal in my mind, but maybe not so much anymore. As such, the new R has slowly made it's way up the ladder on my list as a new camera I might be interested in by next Christmas vs a 5D mark IV.

The reasons for this are an infatuation with the new RF 50 f/1.2, RF 28-70 f/2, price, and security (yes, security). I do most shooting (99%) with my 24-70, 70-200, and 135mm. I'd like to not have to change lenses during a shoot and quickly get a different perspective sometimes. Nobody carries my bag for me and I shoot these models in very public places with a lot of foot traffic (downtown areas like Mobile, Birmingham, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, DFW, and next September... New York City). Sometimes I can be a few feet from my bag and I worry about theft while I'm not looking. I'm too big and old to chase anyone down. So my idea is to run with the 24-70 on one camera and 70-200 or 135 on the other.

For stills only, I am thinking the recently released R might be a good choice. It isn't something I have to have, but makes sense to me for my particular uses. I'm thinking there might be some good sales / rebates near the end of the year on the R and the 5D mark IV. Also, a second FF camera would be insurance against failure of the first during an event.

For you folks that shoot mostly stills, what do you think? Any other ideas? Using my Olympus as a second camera is out of the question. That's really for my tiny wife. I almost hate using it. Using another brand is also out. I really would value the ideas of those who already use the R. How's your AF hit rate adapting EF to the R? How is the focus peaking working for you on manual lenses? No, the 6D and 6D Mark II are not options I will consider.

I think this underlines many semi pro / pro's frustrations with this camera system. We all love the idea and the fantastic lenses...but we are all a bit "meh" about the camera body. It's a head scratcher for sure. I have been using a pair of 5DIII''s for many years and one of my camera bodies is up for renewal later this year. So...a mk4 would be the obvious choice and it's a fine camera and probably the best and most versatile that Canon have ever produced. And then there's this new R....Hmmm. I'm just not sure I'd like it in the long term compared to a mk4. If I already had a pair of mk4's and I needed a 3rd camera that I could put up with it's oddities...then maybe an R....but only maybe. I kind of feel wrong about spending £2k (UKP) on a camera body just to get access to some very nice but seriously over priced lenses. Me...I love a good '50mm but £5K is very steep just for a great '50....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I didn’t notice any difference in AF with the 85 L IS on the R vs 1dx2. What I did notice was the difference
in quality of focus, the R made the most out of it’s sharpness always. I sometimes use magnified view to MF or I use those arrows, both options are superb. I’ve tried peaking also, but being colorblind I find it hard to see, there’s always conflicting colors between peaking and subject for me. Plus it doesn’t seem as accurate as the two other options.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... We all love the idea and the fantastic lenses...but we are all a bit "meh" about the camera body. It's a head scratcher for sure. ...
This hits the nail right on the head.

To me this is a nice and exiting time, as I do not plan any major changes to my setup.
I see the high potential in the R system, I really, really like what RF lenses can deliver, but I wouldn't care about buing the EOS R comming from my 5D3.
A friend of mine had it for 3 weeks and told me it's nice and the AF is fast and accurate. But he doesn't like the EVF and the handling of the body.
So to me the R only offers the small form factor and the "first adaptor" feeling as an advantage.
But layout and handling is very different, he said.

I would wait for some more pro body or - if there is no time for waiting - go for another 5D3 or 5D4.
Personally I just lean back, relax and wait what Canon has in the pipeline.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The R is a very good choice for you, I assume you do not use two memory cards? If you use two cards, you might not like the single one.

I have both the R and a 5D MK IV. Overall, the 5D MK IV is definitely better, but for specific uses. the R might win out. I have often used my 5D IV in live view mode, and its very similar to my R but no evf, which limits it. Thats why I bought the R, for the 80% of my shots that can use live view just fine.

The main issue is the freezing of the display for a short period after a shot, if you are tracking a erratically moving subject, it can be frustrating when its moved out of the viewfinder between shots, but models are not usually fast or erratically moving, and the eye AF works better than my 5D IV.

A secondary mention is that you need to turn off the image review, you can't shoot a sucessive shot immediately when its on. (thats also the same for live view on the 5D IV).

I find that my R is still getting the most use now and I bought it the first day it was available. I'm conflicted about selling my 5D MK IV and starting to buy "R" lenses.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The R is a very good choice for you, I assume you do not use two memory cards? If you use two cards, you might not like the single one.

I have both the R and a 5D MK IV. Overall, the 5D MK IV is definitely better, but for specific uses. the R might win out. I have often used my 5D IV in live view mode, and its very similar to my R but no evf, which limits it. Thats why I bought the R, for the 80% of my shots that can use live view just fine.

The main issue is the freezing of the display for a short period after a shot, if you are tracking a erratically moving subject, it can be frustrating when its moved out of the viewfinder between shots, but models are not usually fast or erratically moving, and the eye AF works better than my 5D IV.

A secondary mention is that you need to turn off the image review, you can't shoot a sucessive shot immediately when its on. (thats also the same for live view on the 5D IV).

I find that my R is still getting the most use now and I bought it the first day it was available. I'm conflicted about selling my 5D MK IV and starting to buy "R" lenses.
Thank you. Same with my Olympus and the image review. Glad to read you are having a good experience. I do use 2 cards in the 5D III and it won't go away. That is a concern with the R for me.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My R is coming on Wed. and I'm wondering about some good programming of buttons choices for setting it up, in case anyone has some favourites.

I'll play with it for about a month and then my daughter has expressed an interest in buying it for a good deal. We'll share it and my lenses in Costa Rica which will be a good workout. I'm tickled to have the ND filter for the 11-24. Got that and the control ring adapter with the conviction that I'll buy another R or R variant in due course.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I had an EOS R, but sold it.
Not because I wasn't satisfied with it (in fact, I was), but my decision was caused by some exceptional new lenses "announced" by Canon.
So, I'm waiting for the EOS pro, provided it offers dual card slot, maybe a few MP more, but, as to video, I don't care at all!
No misunderstanding: I really enjoyed the EOS R and am more than ready to enjoy the EOS R pro!:love::love::love::love::love:

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I am biased (aren't we all) because I handled the R in one of the stores in NYC but now just got an RP. I know on paper, it does not have the capability of the R but, at least to my hands, seems to feel a lot like my 5Div in terms of the controls. It will never replace my DSLR and I am not sure of using it as a primary camera, but as a backup? I think so.

Upvote 0
I would get the RP for backup and also for travel. Hope the "R2" do away the "touch-bar"
What would be the benefits of an EOS R or RP over a 5D mk 4 for example? At the moment I use a 5D mk4 as my main camera with a 5D mk3 as backup. This works very well and both cameras are very similar so I don't need time to adjust when switching between the camera bodies. The lenses I have are excellent and in most cases I am not looking for any improvements.
The only thing that is making me consider the EOS R system is the 50mm F1.2 which seems to be far better than the EOS equivalent. Is it worth going through the expense of maintaining two lens arsenals just for the sake of one or two lenses that are better in the EOS R system?

Upvote 0
What would be the benefits of an EOS R or RP over a 5D mk 4 for example? At the moment I use a 5D mk4 as my main camera with a 5D mk3 as backup. This works very well and both cameras are very similar so I don't need time to adjust when switching between the camera bodies. The lenses I have are excellent and in most cases I am not looking for any improvements.
The only thing that is making me consider the EOS R system is the 50mm F1.2 which seems to be far better than the EOS equivalent. Is it worth going through the expense of maintaining two lens arsenals just for the sake of one or two lenses that are better in the EOS R system?

Better AF accuracy in one shot by far and wider AF coverage without degradation in AF performance away from the center. I used to have the 5D4 and the 5D3 (backup). Both the 50L and 24L II focused better on the R than on the 5D4. I have since swapped out the 5D3 for the R. So now, the cameras are 1A and 1B. The 5D4 is still better for sports/action, but the 5D3 is better for portraiture because of the better one shot AF. Once the 5D4 killer is released, I'll just have R bodies. Just having R bodies gives you the most flexibility with the least amount of kit because R bodies can use both EF and RF glass.

This is a period of transition. I think a lot more people will transition to the R ecosystem once something better than the 5D4 is released, but if you want to use RF glass now, you need a R body. For now, the 5D4 will also remain as my primary travel camera because of longer battery life and GPS, and I'll only bring EF lenses (16-35/24-70/100-400) on trips for that reason -- the R with be stored in the bag with the EF adaptor on it and serve as a backup.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Im pretty torn on the EOS R at this stage, have the camera with the RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM. I also own a Canon 5DS and a Canon 6D MKII (as well as still have the 6D).
The size & weight definitely sold me on the EOS R as well as the optics. However their are aspects I still cannot get used too. The multi-function bar is one, design over substance the joystick works so much better. The touch screen gets affected if your nose pushes up against it so I don't use it with the camera to the eye, its fine in live view. The back-focus AF-On button is too far over to the right-hand corner if you have large hands like me, I constantly move the camera away to find it. The eye tracking AF is limited and needs a software improvement.

On the plus side the the dials work really fine, Im loving the control ring on the lenses, the EF-RF adaptors work brilliantly with my EF lenses, the RF24-105mm f4L IS USM is way better than the EF versions, the FV setting is great, increased AF points are much better and for single spot etc the orientation placement is much better for portraits when shooting landscape or portrait mode. The build quality & grip are spot on and the touch screen is so responsive. the EVF is large and works well with someone like me who wears glasses. Image quality and colour are are really impressive.

Is it perfect? No. is it better than the 5D MKIV, No. Is it a step in the right direction, yes and Im sure the system will only get better. If the Pro version retains the joystick and places the AF-On button in a more suitable position I will definitely get it as my 5DS replacement as I see the EOS-R as the 6D MKII replacement (not the RP which is a rebel with FF sensor).

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I used the 6D for a number of years. The joy stick equivalent I found to be quite functional except that it was too small for accurate quick placement unless you happen to have long fingernails. When I moved to joystick cameras I got used to that but have never viewed it as overly superior. I think what one is used to often dictates the likes/dislikes.

I find the 1DX2 joystick to be OK but certainly not very fast for AF point moves with my choice being singe spot. Sometimes it gets pressed down when I don't want that. I suspect that the new bar on the R doesn't stand a chance because it's new but I'll soon see if I hate it. At the very least there are some functions other than AF that I hear it's good for and as mentioned the adapter or lens control ring has to be a positive giving more versatility.

It stands to reason that there will be adjustments as the feedback rolls in. Still hoping to hear of some favourite programmable settings choices.

Jack

Upvote 0
I used the 6D for a number of years. The joy stick equivalent I found to be quite functional except that it was too small for accurate quick placement unless you happen to have long fingernails. When I moved to joystick cameras I got used to that but have never viewed it as overly superior. I think what one is used to often dictates the likes/dislikes.

I find the 1DX2 joystick to be OK but certainly not very fast for AF point moves with my choice being singe spot. Sometimes it gets pressed down when I don't want that. I suspect that the new bar on the R doesn't stand a chance because it's new but I'll soon see if I hate it. At the very least there are some functions other than AF that I hear it's good for and as mentioned the adapter or lens control ring has to be a positive giving more versatility.

It stands to reason that there will be adjustments as the feedback rolls in. Still hoping to hear of some favourite programmable settings choices.

Jack

Thanks jack. It's nice to hear your perspective. I've never had a camera with a joystick to control focus, but with all the talk on this forum I assumed that I probably wanted one. I'm keen to try out the touchscreen with eye to the finder on an R or RP. The idea of having that huge spread of focus points is really attractive coming from the original 6D.

Upvote 0

It depends on your needs (requirements). For a main 1DX mk2 and a backup 7D mk2, a travel friendly option would be the RP.
It can fit native EF lenses with native adapter(s), it is lighter, cheaper, articulating screen(optional), more focus points coverage. However, for 5D mk4, the battery life is longer, better weather sealed, higher resolution, dual cards slots(optional), etc.

Actually, I prefer the EF 50mm f/1,2L over the RF 50mm f/1,2L because of the classical dual Gaussian lens design. Less glass elements.... But that is personal preference for me....

Currently, this is a transitional phase, I would hold any purchases at the wide end (10-35mm) of the EF mount as the RF mount would introduce better designs and maybe better quality at the wide end.

In the long term, it would need time to refresh designs for specialized lens like Macro, Tilt-Shift, and dedicated lens like ultra-telephotos. As such, I would purchase EF mount versions and adapt it with native RF-EF adapters....

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I pre-ordered the ND adapter three months ago and still waiting for it. Hope to get it delivered soon.
They arrived in the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada area two days ago and in the east about 1 1/2 weeks ago but I don't have any idea about elsewhere.

Jack

Upvote 0