EOS R as second camera?

Better AF accuracy in one shot by far and wider AF coverage without degradation in AF performance away from the center. I used to have the 5D4 and the 5D3 (backup). Both the 50L and 24L II focused better on the R than on the 5D4. I have since swapped out the 5D3 for the R. So now, the cameras are 1A and 1B. The 5D4 is still better for sports/action, but the 5D3 is better for portraiture because of the better one shot AF. Once the 5D4 killer is released, I'll just have R bodies. Just having R bodies gives you the most flexibility with the least amount of kit because R bodies can use both EF and RF glass.

This is a period of transition. I think a lot more people will transition to the R ecosystem once something better than the 5D4 is released, but if you want to use RF glass now, you need a R body. For now, the 5D4 will also remain as my primary travel camera because of longer battery life and GPS, and I'll only bring EF lenses (16-35/24-70/100-400) on trips for that reason -- the R with be stored in the bag with the EF adaptor on it and serve as a backup.
Thank you.
I can't say that I have had problems with AF accuracy on either my 5D mk3 or my 5D mk4, but I did spend a long time using AFMA to fine tune all my lenses.
They all perform really well now and I would be surprised if I found that a camera from the EOS R stable produced better results. Generally I only use the cross type AF points so maybe that is another factor.
However, I agree with your main point that this is a period of transition, but for now there is nothing that is compelling me to move to the EOS R system.

Upvote 0
It depends on your needs (requirements). For a main 1DX mk2 and a backup 7D mk2, a travel friendly option would be the RP.
It can fit native EF lenses with native adapter(s), it is lighter, cheaper, articulating screen(optional), more focus points coverage. However, for 5D mk4, the battery life is longer, better weather sealed, higher resolution, dual cards slots(optional), etc.

Actually, I prefer the EF 50mm f/1,2L over the RF 50mm f/1,2L because of the classical dual Gaussian lens design. Less glass elements.... But that is personal preference for me....

Currently, this is a transitional phase, I would hold any purchases at the wide end (10-35mm) of the EF mount as the RF mount would introduce better designs and maybe better quality at the wide end.

In the long term, it would need time to refresh designs for specialized lens like Macro, Tilt-Shift, and dedicated lens like ultra-telephotos. As such, I would purchase EF mount versions and adapt it with native RF-EF adapters....
Thank you for your tips.
For now I plan to stick with my 5D mk3 and 5D mk4, but I will be visiting the Canon stand at the Photography show later this week to try an EOS R for myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thank you.
I can't say that I have had problems with AF accuracy on either my 5D mk3 or my 5D mk4, but I did spend a long time using AFMA to fine tune all my lenses.
They all perform really well now and I would be surprised if I found that a camera from the EOS R stable produced better results. Generally I only use the cross type AF points so maybe that is another factor.
However, I agree with your main point that this is a period of transition, but for now there is nothing that is compelling me to move to the EOS R system.

It was more an issue of the less accurate baselines of the outer points (even cross types) and not AFMA. With smaller apertures, it wasn't an issue but with large apertures (i.e. f/1.4), it became a large enough issue that I tended to use servo and burst with outer points even for a static target, especially with the 50L (which wasn't the most accurate or sharpest to start with).

Upvote 0