EOS R Hot Pixel experience?

aquagene

EOS R and SL2
Apr 19, 2019
So I got my EOS R recently and have completely fell in love with the feel and abilities of this camera. Unfortunately there were a cluster of hot pixels on the sensor that appear in the middle of the EVF. They were stuck red, in addition to a stuck white one in the bottom left. I tried the standard fixes to remap it (sensor cleaning auto and sensor cleaning manual then leave it on for 1-2 minutes and power it off) but it just reduced the appearance but did not get rid of it.

This is the first time I've seen issues such as this in a Canon camera out of the box. I'm waiting for a return label now after it was suggested by Canon to exchange it. Anyone have any similar experiences?

aquagene

EOS R and SL2
Apr 19, 2019
I did not notice anything like that in my R . I take it that its a EVF issue (You do not see it in the actual image)? If it's the EVF, sensor cleaning would not fix it.
It actually appears on the back screen as well, but is way more visible in the EVF, which led me to believe it was the sensor. I'm returning it now and I think I'll just either purchase the replacement locally or directly from Canon to avoid issues. Honestly the sensor cleaning got rid of most of the hot pixels but I guess the main cluster of them was too much for remapping to handle.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Figured I'd update this. Returned the camera and bought it straight from Canon and this one's been perfect. Seems I did just get a dud. All's well that ends well :)
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Have fun and good pics with your new gear. (y)
And post some of your keepers here ;)

Upvote 0