EOS R is the best selling full frame camera in Japan right now!

Mar 2, 2012
New models can become best sellers almost instantly, the pre-orders stack up so its a matter of how many cameras can be delivered initially. When Sony releases a new camera, the same happens. To determine popularity, a look at sales over a long period, like a year is needed.
I wonder why anyone who isn’t a shareholder in camera companies would care do that that, though.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
virtually useless stats, just like "amazon sales ranks" and most other published "sales rankings". No actual unit numbers and each individual SKU of a camera model listed separately. eg M50 in white, M50 in black, with or without the various kit lens options.
Sony A7 III also listed under 2 entries (#20, #22 - one being a kit?).
EOS R "body only": why? kit not in ranking because it was not (yet) available in october in jpn? or sales too low to make it into ranking?

more confusion and open questions than answers ...

Why on earth can't they just consolidate their raw data and present two clear, specific numbers per camera model:
1. "actual total number of units sold in month X (eg October) in Japan" (all SKUs lumped together).
2. total number units sold year to date 2018 (eg jan 1 - Oct 31) in Japan"

... then it could start to make a little bit of sense. Just stupid, BCN!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Maybe "EOS R" is only showing up "body only" due to kit price not attractive, but close to buying camera and 24-105 separately ... but it could also be an availability issue (no idea if kit is also offered in Japan) and/or early orders mostly by existing Canon users with EF glass / no immediate interest in RF 24-105.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
virtually useless stats, just like "amazon sales ranks" and most other published "sales rankings". No actual unit numbers and each individual SKU of a camera model listed separately. eg M50 in white, M50 in black, with or without the various kit lens options.
Sony A7 III also listed under 2 entries (#20, #22 - one being a kit?).
EOS R "body only": why? kit not in ranking because it was not (yet) available in october in jpn? or sales too low to make it into ranking?

more confusion and open questions than answers ...

Why on earth can't they just consolidate their raw data and present two clear, specific numbers per camera model:
1. "actual total number of units sold in month X (eg October) in Japan" (all SKUs lumped together).
2. total number units sold year to date 2018 (eg jan 1 - Oct 31) in Japan"

... then it could start to make a little bit of sense. Just stupid, BCN!

Not stupid at all, we are not their primary customer, they charge their corporate customers for the detailed sales data and those companies want to know exactly what colors and configurations sell well as how many sold. To collect that data is expensive, so you pay a high price for it. They update the data DAILY as well, its a big undertaking and includes all sorts of appliances, anything they can find a buyer for.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Not stupid at all, we are not their primary customer, they charge their corporate customers for the detailed sales data and those companies want to know exactly what colors and configurations sell well as how many sold. To collect that data is expensive, so you pay a high price for it. They update the data DAILY as well, its a big undertaking and includes all sorts of appliances, anything they can find a buyer for.

I vote mirage to buy the sales data from them and present it to us here at CR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018

yes. I know that perfectly well. And it is fine with me and hopefully their paying corporate clients get what they want and need.

But I would prefer if those market research firms would just refrain from publishing such useless and/or even misleading "Sales Rankings" to the "not so well informed general public". The way it is presented almost qualifies as "fake news" - and triggers further dissemination of BS data ... see this thread and thread title here. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
yes. I know that perfectly well. And it is fine with me and hopefully their paying corporate clients get what they want and need.

But I would prefer if those market research firms would just refrain from publishing such useless and/or even misleading "Sales Rankings" to the "not so well informed general public". The way it is presented almost qualifies as "fake news" - and triggers further dissemination of BS data ... see this thread and thread title here. :)

It is confusing to many indeed. Obviously, you and I know how it works, but most will be misled. Amazon sales figures are the same way, by their internal ASIN number, and multiple ASIN's can exist for the same product, so its even more confusing. I sell on Amazon, and I can create a new ASIN for a EOS R by adding a free booklet or other trinket and be perfectly legal as far as Amazon is concerned. I could add a duplicate, and many do, but that's breaking Amazons rules. All my products have their own ASIN numbers even though their are seemingly identical products, they are made by different manufacturers, packaged differently, and may not perform the same way.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
But I would prefer if those market research firms would just refrain from publishing such useless and/or even misleading "Sales Rankings" to the "not so well informed general public".

Shrug. It’s like DXO. They publish data to promote their services. If a person reads it who has no business (in the commercial sense) reading it or basis to understand it comes away with misinterpretations, what’s the harm? It’s trivial to that reader.

The only group of non shareholders I can easily think of who might have use for this data are people who predicate their purchase decisions on popularity (perhaps some extrapolation of success to predict supported life), but people who go to that length are likely to parse the data rather than stop at a headline on an advocate/enthusiast website.

Last edited:
Upvote 0