EOS R looks interesting

I am a lifelong canon user since my original ae1-program and a current 5D Mark IV user (and M3 owner). I've been observing the developments in the market for the last couple of weeks.. Like most of us Canon users I have had a degree of envy over sensors in the likes of A7riii and D850 but my camera needs to withstand the rigours of sea, salt and rain a lot so kind of rules out the Sony even with the supposed improvements in weather sealing...and Nikon Z seems like a futile attempt to prop up sales for nikon purists which won't succeed in dragging back lost users nor converting any from canon or Sony.

I was hoping Canon would take this challenge seriously rather than an arrogant stance. It appears to me that they have and for what I do that the R is going to be a great option.

My camera spends almost all its life on a tripod... Therefore I don't need IBIS. I switch off IS on the L lenses I own anyway.

I almost always use a remote shutter and live view and the 5DIV has great auto focus even through 6 & sometimes 10 stop nd filters so having better auto focus on the R will mean never having to manually focus in low light. Battery life will be no different on the R to the 5DIV in live view tbh anyway and I have plenty of spare batteries.

When not on a tripod I tend to shoot in slow speed mode and the silent option will be brilliant for candids.

The resolution of 30mp is good enough to be comparable to the 5D and when the Pro body comes out I expect that to be around the 50mp range.

Its smaller and lighter.. Travelling with the 5DIV and lenses is tricky for a lot of airlines and lugging it up hills is tricky for me... If that cuts weight then great - I am not a spring chicken anymore :)

I have never shot video so I have no interest in that.

I assume the dynamic range will at least be as good as the 5DIV and that is plenty for me although better is better :)

I for one will get one on preorder and use it alongside the 5DIV snd see which one gets taken out to play more often then probably get the higher spec one when that is released.

Just my two pence worth