EOS R, no way to register an AF point?

Kit Lens Jockey

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 12, 2016
Is it just me, or does the EOS R not have the ability to register an AF point? I see nothing in a quick look through the manual. Sigh, come on Canon, these are pretty basic features that you seem to have left out. :cautious:

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
Is it just me, or does the EOS R not have the ability to register an AF point? I see nothing in a quick look through the manual. Sigh, come on Canon, these are pretty basic features that you seem to have left out. :cautious:
If you just took a quick look, then why the ire at Canon when the feature you want might be there?

Kit Lens Jockey

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 12, 2016
If you just took a quick look, then why the ire at Canon when the feature you want might be there?
Ok, by quick look, I searched through the entire pdf version of the manual for the word "register" and it wasn't there in reference to an AF point. So, unless they changed their terminology, I don't think the feature is in there.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I know my 1DX2 has this but is it a feature of other Canon cameras in the $2000 range? Pretty sure my previous 6D didn't have it. I am interested in what features the R does/doesn't have or how they've changed/improved or hobbled the camera because it still might represent good value but I'm likely more interested in a more pro level version. I know after using a 1 level camera it will be hard to accept losing some of the features. One that I have that I love is the illuminated AF points!

Jack

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
Its basically a 6D with a 5D MK IV sensor. Unfortunately, we will have to pay $1200 more to get the 5D MK IV features once the pro model comes out. I can live without the feature, for me its seldom used.

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
I know my 1DX2 has this but is it a feature of other Canon cameras in the $2000 range? Pretty sure my previous 6D didn't have it. I am interested in what features the R does/doesn't have or how they've changed/improved or hobbled the camera because it still might represent good value but I'm likely more interested in a more pro level version. I know after using a 1 level camera it will be hard to accept losing some of the features. One that I have that I love is the illuminated AF points!

Jack
Yes. The 7D, so I assume the 7D Mark II also. But like you said, not the 6D.
https://www.pointsinfocus.com/learning/cameras-lenses/everything-you-needed-to-know-about-registered-af-points-in-canon-af-systems/