EOS R, no way to register an AF point?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is it just me, or does the EOS R not have the ability to register an AF point? I see nothing in a quick look through the manual. Sigh, come on Canon, these are pretty basic features that you seem to have left out. :cautious:
If you just took a quick look, then why the ire at Canon when the feature you want might be there?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
If you just took a quick look, then why the ire at Canon when the feature you want might be there?
Ok, by quick look, I searched through the entire pdf version of the manual for the word "register" and it wasn't there in reference to an AF point. So, unless they changed their terminology, I don't think the feature is in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I know my 1DX2 has this but is it a feature of other Canon cameras in the $2000 range? Pretty sure my previous 6D didn't have it. I am interested in what features the R does/doesn't have or how they've changed/improved or hobbled the camera because it still might represent good value but I'm likely more interested in a more pro level version. I know after using a 1 level camera it will be hard to accept losing some of the features. One that I have that I love is the illuminated AF points!

Jack

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I know my 1DX2 has this but is it a feature of other Canon cameras in the $2000 range? Pretty sure my previous 6D didn't have it. I am interested in what features the R does/doesn't have or how they've changed/improved or hobbled the camera because it still might represent good value but I'm likely more interested in a more pro level version. I know after using a 1 level camera it will be hard to accept losing some of the features. One that I have that I love is the illuminated AF points!

Jack
Yes. The 7D, so I assume the 7D Mark II also. But like you said, not the 6D.
https://www.pointsinfocus.com/learn...out-registered-af-points-in-canon-af-systems/

Upvote 0