EOS R overheating?

Mar 25, 2011
Overheating gets to be a issue in small body large sensor cameras, particularly when in live view or in a mirrorless camera turned on for long periods like doing video. Carrying heat away is a issue and since the sensor is active full time, its always generating heat. IBIS would make it even more difficult. So when in a hot vehicle as in this case, or if the sun is directly on the camera as shown in this case, and the air is hot, its going to limit the amount of time before it overheats. Its not a question of if, but of when.

DSLR's don't have the issue with stills, but when doing video or live view, they also overheat in extreme conditions.

The "R" is not marketed for use in extreme environments, it is not a substitute for a 5 series, much less a 1 series which would normally be the choice to use in this situation.

Just the same, Canon probably wants to have a look at the camera and see if it has and issues that a repair would fix. There are warning icons that are displayed in the event of overheat, the only thing to do is to let the camera cool down.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very interesting for me as I have just returned from Tanzania in similar territory where my 5DIV and 5DSR both performed flawlessly, with no focussing or overheating problems and tack sharp images. I had a mirrorless (RX10IV) with me for ancillary use, which behaved very well with no problems either. However, one niggling feature of current mirrorless, including my M5, is that I find I have to turn them off between shots to conserve battery life (and I now realise helps against overheating). The downside is that it wastes a few precious seconds turning them back on for opportunistic shots, which occur quite frequently for nature photography.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had my ECO-mode turned on and noticed the top display wouldn’t turn off, at least it took a long time. So I switched ECO-mode off and set the screen off time to 15 seconds and suddenly it works.

So why is it this way? I get better battery life if I turn ECO mode off?:unsure:

My top display is always on, the power it uses is incredibly tiny, a button battery could run it for months. I've never turned the ECO mode on, so I don't know about battery life difference, the CIPA ratings are the result of very tough testing, and will show the worst case difference.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
My top display is always on, the power it uses is incredibly tiny, a button battery could run it for months. I've never turned the ECO mode on, so I don't know about battery life difference, the CIPA ratings are the result of very tough testing, and will show the worst case difference.
Yeah, I can see what I wrote could be misunderstood.

It’s not that the Mode is always on, because no matter what and which setting the display shows “Av” for example 100% of the time.

What I mean is all the other info are there for MUCH longer with ECO mode on than off.

Upvote 0