EOS R: Quirks and Quibbles

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Point of this thread intended for EOS R OWNERS is not to complain about the camera, but to discuss challenges and work arounds.

I received mine a few days ago, and I've identified a few issues that don't seem learning-curve related. Here are two:

1) There is currently no third-party eyecup for the EVF, such as the Hoodman Hoodeye line of eyecups that works so great for dSLR's. I like to shoot in early morning and late afternoon, but the angle of the sun at these times (after and before golden hour) makes seeing through the EVF very difficult for me. The Nikon Z's already have an eyecup, and I've written to Hoodman to ask if one might be coming for the EOS R (which, by the way, has its eyecup screwed on, but otherwise comes off without much effort.)

Anybody have some kind of DIY solution yet?

2) Not a big deal, but the Auto Sensor Cleaning, unless completely disabled, engages every time the display goes to sleep--which is a LOT! The only setting that stops that is just turning "Auto" off altogether. Sure, I might be able to just remember to engage it when I swap lenses, but it is definitely a quirk.

There's more, but I don't want to start with a long laundry list, and, frankly, this camera is new to me and many issues will likely resolve themselves.

I am seeing the potential of the R's AF, and getting very good initial results with it--especially considering I've been shooting at f/1.2 and relatively low shutter speeds with a non-IS lens! But the EVF is a huge change for me.

Please, fellow EOS R OWNERS, chime in and share some of the quirks and quibbles you are dealing with and learning to work with.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Aug 26, 2015
I enjoy vintage lenses just as much as new lenses (they are not designed for this sensor, but they simply look wonderful) and I found a decent use for the touchbar, swiping left or right is an easy way to jump in and out of this view. This is important, because while the EVF is decent and there is the peaking as well, but it is really still not good enough to check for critical focus (same for the LCD, very nice quality but just not good enough for this).
This magnifying mode still has little quirks on its own, I wish that it would not magnify 10x, if I do a bigger swipe and always stay at 5x. Also, moving around with the touch and drag is counter-intuitive (opposite direction) and slow, and you can't adjust it in any way. The Sony cameras are more friendly, where you have the box moving around and you can decide if you want to magnify that and jump back easily to check the framing (and you can do that while recording a video, you can't do that here either)
But here is the deal: if the camera is kept in face-tracking AF mode and then the lens gets exchanged for a manual one, it won't let you magnify the image at all. And what's even funnier still, is that it won't even let you change back the AF mode to single-point with the assigned button.
So one has go all the way to the Q menu to fix this where it can be changed even with MF. And this will happen constantly for sure, if one is changing the modes (and lenses).

I do have other quirks that I might be able to smooth out, but this is enough for now, I will have to live with it or go all AF which is a different story :)

Some things that I was able to fix include the eye-sensor, which has been modified, and now it jumps to the EVF unnecessarily much less than before (for instance, you flip the screen out and go into the touch menu, and because your finger is pointing towards the screen it instantly switched to the EVF, that was annoying).
I also reprogrammed a button for instant switching between custom modes, which is much faster, it is especially good to engage the silent mode very quickly when needed (but switching to video is still unnecessarily slow). Also, when I want to get a sharper shot at a slower shutter speed, I don't engage the shutter with the end of my finger but I push that forward. It is a bit awkward, but also more gentle, and you can see that effect in the viewfinder, it jumps much less after pressing the shutter this way, I guess fitting a soft release shutter button would also do something similar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I enjoy vintage lenses just as much as new lenses (they are not designed for this sensor, but they simply look wonderful) and I found a decent use for the touchbar, swiping left or right is an easy way to jump in and out of this view. This is important, because while the EVF is decent and there is the peaking as well, but it is really still not good enough to check for critical focus (same for the LCD, very nice quality but just not good enough for this).
This magnifying mode still has little quirks on its own, I wish that it would not magnify 10x, if I do a bigger swipe and always stay at 5x. Also, moving around with the touch and drag is counter-intuitive (opposite direction) and slow, and you can't adjust it in any way. The Sony cameras are more friendly, where you have the box moving around and you can decide if you want to magnify that and jump back easily to check the framing (and you can do that while recording a video, you can't do that here either)
But here is the deal: if the camera is kept in face-tracking AF mode and then the lens gets exchanged for a manual one, it won't let you magnify the image at all. And what's even funnier still, is that it won't even let you change back the AF mode to single-point with the assigned button.
So one has go all the way to the Q menu to fix this where it can be changed even with MF. And this will happen constantly for sure, if one is changing the modes (and lenses).

I do have other quirks that I might be able to smooth out, but this is enough for now, I will have to live with it or go all AF which is a different story :)

Some things that I was able to fix include the eye-sensor, which has been modified, and now it jumps to the EVF unnecessarily much less than before (for instance, you flip the screen out and go into the touch menu, and because your finger is pointing towards the screen it instantly switched to the EVF, that was annoying).
I also reprogrammed a button for instant switching between custom modes, which is much faster, it is especially good to engage the silent mode very quickly when needed (but switching to video is still unnecessarily slow). Also, when I want to get a sharper shot at a slower shutter speed, I don't engage the shutter with the end of my finger but I push that forward. It is a bit awkward, but also more gentle, and you can see that effect in the viewfinder, it jumps much less after pressing the shutter this way, I guess fitting a soft release shutter button would also do something similar.
For MF I switch the lens AF/MF button and have “record”-button to magnify. With that setting I activate MF-guide by switching the AF/MF button, move with touch’n drag to where I want to focus, hit record to magnify, focus and take the shot. Works really fast although explains it might make it seem complicated .

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
For MF I switch the lens AF/MF button and have “record”-button to magnify. With that setting I activate MF-guide by switching the AF/MF button, move with touch’n drag to where I want to focus, hit record to magnify, focus and take the shot. Works really fast although explains it might make it seem complicated .
Thanks for the tip!
Like how this works, it is even more annoying, that it lets me move that way very well with the 'normal' MF view, but when punching it it goes the opposite direction and slows down (maybe the speed is down to the sensor, but the control direction is just software).
Although I rarely need MF with AF capable lenses, and with manual lenses without electrical connection, it still only works the other way because there is no focus guide. Damn!
Canon really prefers its users not to use vintage glass, even though I have four Canon lenses from their rangefinder era (might get even more) at least the camera should acknowledge that :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
In the past couple of days, at least twice just today, the Touch and Drag AF just freezes. Seems to be happening as the camera comes out of standby. Everything else seems ready to go, but I'm getting a very frustrating 5-6 second period where the touchscreen does not respond to touch. Way too long, as the camera is just in standby, not powered down when this happens.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I need to play around with different metering modes- evaluative at least can be very inconsistent from shot to shot with identical framing.
It’s not inconsistent, but it is very heavily weighted to the AF-point. I would also like a mode that is evaluative without weighing anything on the AF point.

Upvote 0
In the past couple of days, at least twice just today, the Touch and Drag AF just freezes. Seems to be happening as the camera comes out of standby. Everything else seems ready to go, but I'm getting a very frustrating 5-6 second period where the touchscreen does not respond to touch. Way too long, as the camera is just in standby, not powered down when this happens.

I'm finding this a lot on my newer of the two R models. Don't know if I bought a 'Friday' camera or if it's an issue with newer bodies.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm finding this a lot on my newer of the two R models. Don't know if I bought a 'Friday' camera or if it's an issue with newer bodies.
I've read this as a recurring issue going back to the earliest units, but in my case, I'm looking at 1) the screen protector I used being too thick, or 2) something I'm occasionally doing with my nose. But if 2), why does the whole screen just lock up for a few moments?

It could be a bug that just has not been swatted out by firmware, but I'm doing my best to remain open minded.

And my R seems brand new, not a return. (I'm hyper suspicious, concerned about receiving expensive gear that has been shipped, shipped back, repacked, shipped again...)

Thank you, wockawocka for sharing your experience.

The rf 50mm f1.2L is what motivates me to hang in there, as is the amazingly sharp AF, and the ability to nail ambient lighting on faces before taking the shot.

Upvote 0
I've read this as a recurring issue going back to the earliest units, but in my case, I'm looking at 1) the screen protector I used being too thick, or 2) something I'm occasionally doing with my nose. But if 2), why does the whole screen just lock up for a few moments?

It could be a bug that just has not been swatted out by firmware, but I'm doing my best to remain open minded.

And my R seems brand new, not a return. (I'm hyper suspicious, concerned about receiving expensive gear that has been shipped, shipped back, repacked, shipped again...)

Thank you, wockawocka for sharing your experience.

The rf 50mm f1.2L is what motivates me to hang in there, as is the amazingly sharp AF, and the ability to nail ambient lighting on faces before taking the shot.

The RF50 is certainly the best lens I've ever used. With the AF point lockup, this is with native lenses as well as adapted ones. I initially considered it was the adaptor.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've had one similar incident with the camera locking up entirely, but it happened after I swapped from an ef 16-35mm f/4 (with the standard adapter) back to the rf 50mm. A restart fixed the problem.

But in about 1000 more shots since my last post four days ago, no more AF point freezing. I think the problem I was having was a combination of my nose doing something, and maybe I was just "thumbing" in the wrong part of the screen? Don't know, but can't reproduce that specific issue. Things seem fine now--even with my screen protector, no problem placing the AF point accurately and quickly.

Go figure.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I like to see the histogram in the viewfinder, however, it seems the only way to not also have the electronic level in the viewfinder at the same time is to be in eye-AF. So I'd like to have the histogram without the level in the other modes also. For my use the level is just clutter. I have not found a way to fix this.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I like to see the histogram in the viewfinder, however, it seems the only way to not also have the electronic level in the viewfinder at the same time is to be in eye-AF. So I'd like to have the histogram without the level in the other modes also. For my use the level is just clutter. I have not found a way to fix this.
I have. I use the Touch Bar to enable/disable Level on left touch and histogram with right touch. That way I can have any of them at anytime with a very fast operation. I use swipe to change kelvin.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have. I use the Touch Bar to enable/disable Level on left touch and histogram with right touch. That way I can have any of them at anytime with a very fast operation. I use swipe to change kelvin.
Once again, I owe you a debt of gratitude. Finally, I'll have a use for the bar. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The biggest issue I have currently is my fingers touching the corner of the lcd and moving the focus point. I wish there were a double tap option to AF via the touch screen.

I had a issue with the colors and contrast on the evf for a few months, then I changed the picture style from neutral to standard, and that made a big difference.

The lag in the image after capturing a photo still annoys me, I'll see if its better once all the firmware updates are applied.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The biggest issue I have currently is my fingers touching the corner of the lcd and moving the focus point. I wish there were a double tap option to AF via the touch screen.

That happened to me a lot the one day I got to play with an R. I think in my case it was the tip of my nose. Annoyingly, I couldn't figure out how to get it to actually pay attention to my fingertip when i used it to try to move the focus point back.

There's probably a way to adjust it, but I only had the thing for an hour.

Upvote 0