EOS R Size Referenced Against Other Cameras

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I got really bored and still think this is all an elaborate hoax...but after spending time in Photoshop, the scales are spot-on and I really believe this is at least a real camera now.

The EOS R most closely resembles the 77D in terms of both size and weight. I own a 77D and have been surprised by the grip being so comfortable, but I can't help but think the camera feels cramped. When I ended up throwing these images into PS, I realized a VERY important ergonomic design similarity with the 5D Mark IV...look at the location of the grip/shutter in relation to the lens mount and viewfinder - it's nearly identical to the 5D while the 77D, which is similar in sized, is much tighter. This should contribute to a much better feel in the hands. The grip is DEEPER than the 5D, 77D, and the A7III. The size of the top information LCD is roughly the same height as the current 5D's screen, but 1/3 the width.

Look at the A7III and the EOS R distance from the lens mount to the grip. A major complaint I had with the A7 series was that my knuckles always hit the lens. The ergonomic layout of this camera looks to be very comfortable to shoot. I look forward to getting one in my hands to try out. Hopefully this is just the entry level model, because I would really like to add a dual-card full-frame mirrorless into bag. (yes, I want dual cards if it's going to replace my 5D4.

Enjoy!

Canon Mirrorless SIZE.jpgCanon Mirrorless SIZEnew.jpg

Cameras sized by the hotshoe to be accurate.

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 13, 2016
The 77D is an excellent size and weight, so I'm happy that the R is similar. But for me the 77D grip is not comfortable for extended use. I find it painful in the wrist to use it with a flash over a longer time, much more so than a 70D/80D/6D/5D. The 77D really needs an add-on grip to be comfortable, and yet Canon doesn't offer one (some 3rd parties do). Hopefully the new R will have a better grip than the 77D.

Upvote 0