EOS R things for firmware update

jps

EOS R, RF 24-105, EF 100-400/5.6 L II, TC 1.4X
Oct 31, 2018
Hi,
Since 4 week I use my R every day and I am blow away, what the R can do. But, there are some feature, that I want: So I start to collect features to send to Canon for firmware update. Please give your opinion. Thanks!

My list:
- zebra in live view (highlight clipping, only on image playback)
- to open all feature to set on dial and fn-bar
- spotmetering with AF-point
- exposure compensation till -5 to +5 (now -3 to +3)
- % indication of battery
- Micro AF correction adjustment, as all other DSLR have (sometime the AF is not correct with the RF-lenses).
- antishake symbol, when OIS cannot balance the shake

and now it is you turn: ....

Dec 13, 2010
-Edit Mode list, I want to remove those I don't use, like with drive modes, and like it is on a 1-series.
-Zoom in to actual size at the used AF point also in single AF point mode.
-Get rid of green banding when using flash/triggers.
-MUCH smaller level, like the ones in the OVF's.
-Eye AF in continous (I know it's coming).
-Fix the bug where the AF point sometimes drops to bottom screen or bottom corner at random.
-True evaluative metering where it's not weighted to the AF point.
-Being able to move the histogram to a different part of the EVF.
-Having the option to use a smaller AF point also in Servo

Upvote 0

jps

Oct 31, 2018
-Edit Mode list, I want to remove those I don't use, like with drive modes, and like it is on a 1-series.
-Zoom in to actual size at the used AF point also in single AF point mode.
-Get rid of green banding when using flash/triggers.
-MUCH smaller level, like the ones in the OVF's.
-Eye AF in continous (I know it's coming).
-Fix the bug where the AF point sometimes drops to bottom screen or bottom corner at random.
-True evaluative metering where it's not weighted to the AF point.
-Being able to move the histogram to a different part of the EVF.
-Having the option to use a smaller AF point also in Servo

Thanks Viggo, great ...

Upvote 0
A few more requests
Must have:
- Disable continuous AF automatically when back-button-focus is enabled
- Histogram in video record mode

Nice to have:
- iso bracketing
- film simulation bracketing (e.g. writing to both B/W and a regular jpegs)
- reduce rolling shutter in video
- Ability to use shooting modes, such as aperture priority, when using C-Log. Currently it allows manual mode only.

Upvote 0

jps

Oct 31, 2018
A few more requests
Must have:
- Disable continuous AF automatically when back-button-focus is enabled
- Histogram in video record mode

Nice to have:
- iso bracketing
- film simulation bracketing (e.g. writing to both B/W and a regular jpegs)
- reduce rolling shutter in video
- Ability to use shooting modes, such as aperture priority, when using C-Log. Currently it allows manual mode only.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
When attaching a flash in auto ISO, the camera should automatically chose a value of ISO 400, and adjust the exposure with the flash, like other Canons do.

When in auto ISO, and changing ISO with the control ring, the ISO should not revert back to auto ISO after taking the shot.

The back button AF should be customizable like the one in 5DIV and 1DXII. I like to have single point one shot AF on the shutter, and would like to chose a customizable servo AF mode on the back button. I love that feature on my DSLRs.

Upvote 0

jps

Oct 31, 2018
When attaching a flash in auto ISO, the camera should automatically chose a value of ISO 400, and adjust the exposure with the flash, like other Canons do.

When in auto ISO, and changing ISO with the control ring, the ISO should not revert back to auto ISO after taking the shot.

The back button AF should be customizable like the one in 5DIV and 1DXII. I like to have single point one shot AF on the shutter, and would like to chose a customizable servo AF mode on the back button. I love that feature on my DSLRs.

Thanks Larsskv..

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Micro AF correction adjustment, as all other DSLR have (sometime the AF is not correct with the RF-lenses).

?! I thought AFMA was not necessary with MILC cameras? Are people finding that their R front or back-focuses consistently with certain lenses?

Interesting that this isn’t the default behavior...although I have to ask, are you in Av mode by any chance?

_________
Although I am not an R owner (yet), I do have a few UI items to add based on my time with it in the store:

- make it possible to shut off the screen when not in use AND engage the viewfinder only while held to your eye. Having to choose between ALWAYS having either the screen or the viewfinder on = wasted battery and counterintuitive for DSLR shooters

- Reduce lag/increase response time between finger input and movement of AF point in “touch-and-drag” mode

- Increase response time of Touch Bar and allow for more customization of it (and lens control ring)

- Allow for manual adjustment of speed for moving AF point around in EVF (much like adjusting mouse/trackpad sensitivity on a computer)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Yes, I was in AV mode. Why are you asking?

Because it has been my experience that Canon cameras behave differently with flash in Av mode vs. other user-defined modes. In Av, for whatever reason, the camera assumes any flash use is for fill-in purposes only - and will adjust accordingly, with lower shutter speeds and/or higher ISOs to brighten the background. My 5D4s do this too.

Have you tried Tv or M to see if the same behavior is replicated?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Some of the features mentioned wil be there in higher level cameras, some have been announced, and some are not possible with the current hardware. Canon differentiates models by feature set as well as by hardware, so don't expect them to add features that only appear in their higher level models. I'd like to have exposure linked to spot af point, but its not for a mid level body.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Because it has been my experience that Canon cameras behave differently with flash in Av mode vs. other user-defined modes. In Av, for whatever reason, the camera assumes any flash use is for fill-in purposes only - and will adjust accordingly, with lower shutter speeds and/or higher ISOs to brighten the background. My 5D4s do this too.

Have you tried Tv or M to see if the same behavior is replicated?

You know, on second thought. I believe I was in M mode, because I typically want to set the shutter speed to 1/200, and control aperture at the same time. I will look into it.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
How is the lcd sensitivity setup on your camera? Read the notes at the bottom, if set to high, it may have a negative affect for the drag function, try experimenting.

For me, it seems to be slightly less responsive when set to sensitive, so I am happy with standard.

Placing my thumb at the correct starting place is critical to being able to move the curson over the screen. It took me a few minutes of trying to get the correct approximate spot to start, then it works great.

Attachments

• image0017.jpg
    image0017.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
How is the lcd sensitivity setup on your camera? Read the notes at the bottom, if set to high, it may have a negative affect for the drag function, try experimenting.

For me, it seems to be slightly less responsive when set to sensitive, so I am happy with standard.

Placing my thumb at the correct starting place is critical to being able to move the curson over the screen. It took me a few minutes of trying to get the correct approximate spot to start, then it works great.

Thanks for this, I tried sensitive and standard and didn't notice any difference. I still need multiple swipes to move an af point across the screen.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for this, I tried sensitive and standard and didn't notice any difference. I still need multiple swipes to move an af point across the screen.

Have you tried to set it to the absolute setting? Go to AF menu number 1, and pick the item on bottom. On the menu that pops up, you can choose between a relative or absolute AF setting. The absolute one is fast and sensitive. It didn’t work for me. Too jumpy, and it made it hard for me to focus to the left without loosening my hand from the grip. I prefer the relative setting. Not that fast, but less jumpy and much more predictable.

I think the touch and drag focus is here to stay, but the one in the EOS R needs refinement!

Upvote 0