EOS R Video - drop outs in HD recordings?

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I am a stills guy, no real video experience. Practicing to record a piano recital for kids...
Using a book mic. on hot shoe and good headphones attached (Wow, I love that!)
Using a STM lens (EF-s 18-135) for silent focusing (L glass is loud when mic is used)
Video quality is excellent as expected but I'm seeing dead-spots (drop outs?) for a bit less than 1 second
Shooting the video A+ automatic mode since I do not know what I'm doing. Serve AF (not bad!)
What might be causing drop outs?
Thanks in advance!

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
What are you seeing the drop outs on? Many devices can't actually playback the original files natively especially some of the heavier bitrate codecs.

SD card speed rating may be lower than what the camera expects. Using a V60 rating card for 4K recording may be needed. Also try using IPB instead of ALL-I recording format or reduce the resolution (e.g. record in HD instead of 4K) . Otherwise, as mentioned above, it may be just the playback problem.

Mt Spokane Photography

Spends Too Much Time on This Forum
Mar 25, 2011
Its almost impossible to play back original video on a ordinary computer, you need to convert the video to something playable. At least, there are editors that can handle doing the conversion for a reasonable price now. It can still be a very slow process.

Even 2K can be difficult to play back without converting to 720 or 1080P.

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Its almost impossible to play back original video on a ordinary computer, you need to convert the video to something playable. At least, there are editors that can handle doing the conversion for a reasonable price now. It can still be a very slow process.

Even 2K can be difficult to play back without converting to 720 or 1080P.
That is the answer! I ran 3 short videos {that had drop outs} through iMovie... plays beautifully once rendered.

Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My 4-year-old iMac will play smoothly 4K video in Final Cut Pro X even as it does some processing in the background. It has plenty of memory and a 4-core 4 GHz processor, which helps a lot. But still, you don't need the latest and greatest to deal with the "morass."