EOS R Video - drop outs in HD recordings?

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I am a stills guy, no real video experience. Practicing to record a piano recital for kids...
Using a book mic. on hot shoe and good headphones attached (Wow, I love that!)
Using a STM lens (EF-s 18-135) for silent focusing (L glass is loud when mic is used)
Video quality is excellent as expected but I'm seeing dead-spots (drop outs?) for a bit less than 1 second
Shooting the video A+ automatic mode since I do not know what I'm doing. Serve AF (not bad!)
What might be causing drop outs?
Thanks in advance!

SD card speed rating may be lower than what the camera expects. Using a V60 rating card for 4K recording may be needed. Also try using IPB instead of ALL-I recording format or reduce the resolution (e.g. record in HD instead of 4K) . Otherwise, as mentioned above, it may be just the playback problem.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its almost impossible to play back original video on a ordinary computer, you need to convert the video to something playable. At least, there are editors that can handle doing the conversion for a reasonable price now. It can still be a very slow process.

Even 2K can be difficult to play back without converting to 720 or 1080P.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Its almost impossible to play back original video on a ordinary computer, you need to convert the video to something playable. At least, there are editors that can handle doing the conversion for a reasonable price now. It can still be a very slow process.

Even 2K can be difficult to play back without converting to 720 or 1080P.

That is the answer! I ran 3 short videos {that had drop outs} through iMovie... plays beautifully once rendered.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0