EOS R5 Overheating Issues - EOS R6 No Dual Card Video Recording

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Multiple reports are coming in that the EOS R5 has major overheating issues. I was wondering how they were going to pull off 8K and 4K120FPS in such a small body with no active or even passive cooling. Hopefully these are just pre-production issues and they improve the processing efficiency to the point to where this does not become a production issue.

In other news it seems like both the R5 and R6 will have terrible battery life and the R6 at least will not be able to record video to both card slots....so I'm back on the fence with waiting to see where Panasonic goes with the GH6. The R6 also still has that 30min video recording limit.

The R6 might be the better choice for sustained video shooting. Hard to know for sure until production bodies start shipping. Preordering is fun but waiting is usually the better option IME.
An R6/Ninja V/ProRes workflow isn’t as sexy as 8K and 4K120p but it would cover all of my needs. Atomos says 10 bit 4.2.2 4K60p ProRes at launch.
I’m guessing whoever leaked that “overheating” memo from Canon is looking for a new job today.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The R6 might be the better choice for sustained video shooting. Hard to know for sure until production bodies start shipping. Preordering is fun but waiting is usually the better option IME.
An R6/Ninja V/ProRes workflow isn’t as sexy as 8K and 4K120p but it would cover all of my needs. Atomos says 10 bit 4.2.2 4K60p ProRes at launch.
I’m guessing whoever leaked that “overheating” memo from Canon is looking for a new job today.

It wasn't a memo, Peter McKinnon and multiple other hands on testers reported overheating. I am sure Canon is aware of it and hopefully they have a few tricks up their sleeve to resolve it, only time will tell. I've never preordered a camera but did seriously consider doing so until I saw the recording limit and no dual slot video recording for the R6. If it weren't for those two issues I would have pre-ordered the R6. If the GH5 had useable AF, better highlight roll-off, and better color science I wouldn't even be in the market for a replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It wasn't a memo, Peter McKinnon and multiple other hands on testers reported overheating. I am sure Canon is aware of it and hopefully they have a few tricks up their sleeve to resolve it, only time will tell. I've never preordered a camera but did seriously consider doing so until I saw the recording limit and no dual slot video recording for the R6. If it weren't for those two issues I would have pre-ordered the R6. If the GH5 had useable AF, better highlight roll-off, and better color science I wouldn't even be in the market for a replacement.
Gotcha. I didn’t see where anybody reported problems with the R6 but I might have missed it. I’m OK with my XT3 for now but I’d like IIBIS to cut down on gimbal use and the R6 looks like it might be a better all around package compared to the XT4. Im going to try and be patient and let things sort out. That DPAF II and native use of canon glass would be nice too.

Upvote 0
I’m really disappointed with the overheating issues. I would expect the R6 to have similar problems as its down sampling from 6K or whatever. I’m a wedding videographer in Florida so I need something dependable for long shoots in hot environments. Luckily, I can probably catch a great deal on a second EOS R which has had no real overheating issues. This is demonstrated at 3:25 on this video by Potato Jet

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I’m really disappointed with the overheating issues. I would expect the R6 to have similar problems as its down sampling from 6K or whatever. I’m a wedding videographer in Florida so I need something dependable for long shoots in hot environments. Luckily, I can probably catch a great deal on a second EOS R which has had no real overheating issues. This is demonstrated at 3:25 on this video by Potato Jet

They are saying the R6 could overheat as well. I am in Florida also, so I know exactly what you mean. One thing that people aren't thinking about when they say "who needs 20min of 8K raw video anyway, just record for a shorter period of time" don't realize how illogical they sound. The first thing I think about when it comes to overheating is how many times my camera gear has to sit in a 120 degree car before I use it, or how much heat buildup may have occurred prior to shooting video by shooting something else such as images or by adjusting the settings or just being in direct sunlight. Any of those factors could easily lower the shooting time from 20min to something well below that.

The recovery time is even worse, there is no way a client will be willing to wait around on set while you can't take pictures OR video because the camera overheated. The DJI drones are like this when it comes to their batteries. Starting with the P4 you cannot recharge the batteries until they cool down which can take hours. With the P3 I used to bring a charger pack and could fly all day with 3 batteries, with the P4 I have to bring 7 batteries and even then the first one may not have cooled down by the time the last one is drained.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I don't really get the whole 'overheating issue' complaint. Canon seem to be quite up front about it. They are not hiding anything. And lets face it, if they get 20min of 8k that is still impressive isn't it? IF when people actually start using it(which hasn't happened yet because they have not even shipped) and all of a sudden we find that the camera is shutting down after only 5 min then it would be fair enough to call it a problem but until then it seems odd to complain about something that canon are being straight up about. So hopefully Canon have got it right and it does not just start shutting down after five minutes. That would be really sad from a company I expect to produce reliable products at the expense of being spec heavy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't really get the whole 'overheating issue' complaint. Canon seem to be quite up front about it. They are not hiding anything. And lets face it, if they get 20min of 8k that is still impressive isn't it? IF when people actually start using it(which hasn't happened yet because they have not even shipped) and all of a sudden we find that the camera is shutting down after only 5 min then it would be fair enough to call it a problem but until then it seems odd to complain about something that canon are being straight up about. So hopefully Canon have got it right and it does not just start shutting down after five minutes. That would be really sad from a company I expect to produce reliable products at the expense of being spec heavy.

Ah, but they shouldn't have presumed to release it until it had so little heat generation you could chill a beer with your camera, in 8K mode.

Therefore they are doomed.

(And yes, /sarc.)

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

I hope the issue is completely overblown. I think the problem is the issue caught everyone by surprise, Canon is the company with a reputation for stability even at the cost of innovation and Sony caught a lot of bad press for their overheating issues, also I think the other issue is that thermal limits are far more unpredictable than time limits due to a variety of environmental factors. Last but not least, reports seem to indicate the limitations do not just affect 8K but also certain 4K modes as well.

I almost think if Canon had just set a hard 5min limit on 8K recordings and said that is that, then people would be more understanding. But when you really have no idea if you will get 20min or closer to 5min due to environmental conditions....that's where the problem lies, not to mention the long recovery times after entering this territory. As I have stated, I truly hope this is just a pre-production problem or that it will only happen in niche scenarios. In fact I still don't think we have any documented guidance from Canon at all in regards to overheating.

You say Canon is being up front about it, but I have yet to see any official documentation from Canon regarding the overheating issues. All we have is a leaked spreadsheet from a vendor that is still nowhere to be found on the Canon site. I have checked the official specs for the R5 and R6 as well as their sheets for what was improved over the EOS R - no mention of thermal limits anywhere in the marketing materials. So as of right now, if someone went to the site and ordered either of these cameras they would have no idea there is a thermal limit without first researching on other sites.

Nowhere in any of the links below was I able to find an official Canon statement regarding thermal issues (even in the fine print). So maybe it is just a pre-production issue, maybe Canon has not had time to develop an official message, or maybe even they don't know how bad it will be in real world use.

EOS R vs EOS R6 vs EOS R5 Comparison

EOS R5

EOS R6

Ah, but they shouldn't have presumed to release it until it had so little heat generation you could chill a beer with your camera, in 8K mode.

Therefore they are doomed.

(And yes, /sarc.)

I think the bigger issue is that no one knows how pervasive this problem will be until real world results come in and that Canon is known for reliability...even at the expense of innovation.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I hope the issue is completely overblown. I think the problem is the issue caught everyone by surprise, Canon is the company with a reputation for stability even at the cost of innovation and Sony caught a lot of bad press for their overheating issues, also I think the other issue is that thermal limits are far more unpredictable than time limits due to a variety of environmental factors. Last but not least, reports seem to indicate the limitations do not just affect 8K but also certain 4K modes as well.

I almost think if Canon had just set a hard 5min limit on 8K recordings and said that is that, then people would be more understanding. But when you really have no idea if you will get 20min or closer to 5min due to environmental conditions....that's where the problem lies, not to mention the long recovery times after entering this territory. As I have stated, I truly hope this is just a pre-production problem or that it will only happen in niche scenarios. In fact I still don't think we have any documented guidance from Canon at all in regards to overheating.

You say Canon is being up front about it, but I have yet to see any official documentation from Canon regarding the overheating issues. All we have is a leaked spreadsheet from a vendor that is still nowhere to be found on the Canon site. I have checked the official specs for the R5 and R6 as well as their sheets for what was improved over the EOS R - no mention of thermal limits anywhere in the marketing materials. So as of right now, if someone went to the site and ordered either of these cameras they would have no idea there is a thermal limit without first researching on other sites.

Nowhere in any of the links below was I able to find an official Canon statement regarding thermal issues (even in the fine print). So maybe it is just a pre-production issue, maybe Canon has not had time to develop an official message, or maybe even they don't know how bad it will be in real world use.

EOS R5

EOS R6

I think the bigger issue is that no one knows how pervasive this problem will be until real world results come in and that Canon is known for reliability...even at the expense of innovation.
So you demand equality . If 5min max record time,then peoples on cold lands would suffer equally too :p

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

EOS R5

EOS R6

Obviously those of us on this forum have access to more info than many but it is not hard info to find. I think the fact that it is on Peter Mckinnons video says a lot. He is being paid to promote canon and had Canon been trying to hide the issue then he would not have said anything about it. As for most of the rest of the videos they seem to be jumping on the bandwagon without actually having shot any production models(because nobody actually has production models yet). I will wait to see the reports after a couple of months(although TBH any reports of overheating from video would bother me at all as I never do video anyway). But I certainly would be annoyed if Canon chose the sony route of heavy on specs but sacrificing reliability.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
So you demand equality . If 5min max record time,then peoples on cold lands would suffer equally too :p

I did think about that....I think I would prefer to call it clarity vs. equality :)

Obviously those of us on this forum have access to more info than many but it is not hard info to find. I think the fact that it is on Peter Mckinnons video says a lot. He is being paid to promote canon and had Canon been trying to hide the issue then he would not have said anything about it. As for most of the rest of the videos they seem to be jumping on the bandwagon without actually having shot any production models(because nobody actually has production models yet). I will wait to see the reports after a couple of months(although TBH any reports of overheating from video would bother me at all as I never do video anyway). But I certainly would be annoyed if Canon chose the sony route of heavy on specs but sacrificing reliability.

I agree he could have been prevented via NDA from mentioning overheating...but I disagree that this is an example of Canon transparency. Transparency would be adding an asterisk on the product pages beside the modes that could overheat and clearly stating that there is or could be a thermal or time limit for those modes to prevent overheating. I do think Canon is waiting to see how pervasive the issue will be or they haven't yet agreed on an official message.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I agree he could have been prevented via NDA from mentioning overheating...but I disagree that this is an example of Canon transparency. Transparency would be adding an asterisk on the product pages beside the modes that could overheat and clearly stating that there is or could be a thermal or time limit for those modes to prevent overheating.
There is (footnote 8):

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
There isn’t an issue when Canon have clearly stated the recoding times and is 100% up front with it. If it was an issue, it would break down after half the time Canon said it would.

is it a major issue that a $1500 Armani suit gets ruined in rain? Enough with this already...

Where has Canon clearly stated the recording times? I get you are a Canon fan as am I but I don't believe in giving any vendor a pass just because I like their products. Your Armani suit comparison makes no sense...an Armani suit is not meant to be worn in the rain; Canon's main advertising push was for the video features of the R5 and R6. Does Armani show video after video of a customer dancing in the rain? If they did then that would be closer to the current situation.

There is (footnote 8):

Interesting, that footnote is not in the US version of the specs and even the footnote just states what is common sense for any camera, it is not as clear as the table that was leaked from the Canon vendor. I think if they just add that table to the specs for the R5 and an equivalent one to the marketing specs for the R6 then they really would be transparent.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
As long as it does not overheat when it shoots at 12fps mechanical I am OK with it :D
OK obviously I am a stills shooter who will not think about R5 for at least 1.5 year. I have an EOS R and 4 RF lenses so there is no hater here I am just not interested in video.

I think it will be a fantastic stills camera, and if you are waiting 1.5yrs to buy the R5 then you will have tons of real world feedback to review prior to your purchase, I still think even the R6 will make a great stills camera; only in 2020 can you get a 1DXIII sensor for over 50% less than the actual 1DXIII.

Upvote 0