EOS RP + RF 24-105 as a travel/hiking kit

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I purchased as EOS RP with RF 24-105 lens and have taken about 2k photos with the combination, mostly on a trip to Iceland that include some time in Reykjavik but was mostly focused on hiking. Previous digital full frame cameras I have used extensively: 5D, 6D, 5DS R. Previous mirrorless cameras I have used extensively: EOS M, EOS M5. To lead things off, I found this to be an outstanding travel/hiking kit. The user experience and image quality was much better than the EOS M and M5. It was a clear upgrade from the 5D and 6D. Although the 5DS R has some advantages, it very much prefer hiking with the EOS RP than the 5DS R (when the focus is hiking, I use a cotton carrier vest for my camera). I did travel with a tripod, but my hiking companions had me lagging far behind if I took the time to set it up for photos. The IS of the EOS RP with RF 24-105 lens combination was great. I was able to get acceptably sharp (for me) photos with 1 sec exposures (example with this post, 32mm, ISO 50, F22, 1 sec). I look forward to trying the RF 24-240 lens when it is available. 185759

Reactions: 1 users
What were your thoughts on the battery consumption when trekking? Moving from the 5D series to the R I was a bit shocked at the high battery consumption. I was on a city break at the time so 2x batteries + daily recharge got me through. I don't like the lack of responsiveness when Power saving is on but even then a battery would drain within a days use. I imagined trekking for a few days would be problematic ie carry 4 batteries?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What were your thoughts on the battery consumption when trekking? Moving from the 5D series to the R I was a bit shocked at the high battery consumption. I was on a city break at the time so 2x batteries + daily recharge got me through. I don't like the lack of responsiveness when Power saving is on but even then a battery would drain within a days use. I imagined trekking for a few days would be problematic ie carry 4 batteries?

I haven't done trekking, but I recharge my RP using USB-C PD between shoots. The downside is that it needs to be turned off to charge, which I sometimes forget to do.

Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I did carry extra batteries (4 total). The longest I went without the ability to charge was 3 days for 2 nights camping in the middle of the trip. I never came close to running out of power. I drained one battery and was on the second during the camping portion of the trip. Of course, battery life of my 5D and 5DS R was much better so I never had to take so many extra batteries on similar trips.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I did carry extra batteries (4 total). The longest I went without the ability to charge was 3 days for 2 nights camping in the middle of the trip. I never came close to running out of power. I drained one battery and was on the second during the camping portion of the trip. Of course, battery life of my 5D and 5DS R was much better so I never had to take so many extra batteries on similar trips.
Take a look at the thread I started on trekking with the RP. My experiences with the batteries reflect yours (no pun intended ;) ). Sure, compared to my DSLR, where I can go for a week or more with 4 batteries, it is not the same. But, the RP with an L-plate and 4 batteries is still way smaller and lighter than the 5Div. The limitations of the camera may be worth it when one is trying to carry less weight.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
That is certainly a useful focal range. I travel with a G7X II, which has equivalent view of 24 to 100mm, so almost the same. I very rarely wish I had other lens choices except in very tight places where 24mm is not wide enough. That shouldn’t be a problem hiking; though I do occasionally see a vista that could us a wider angle, as one might on a hike. In both cases I take shots to be stitched later. Obviously it is not the lens for stalking wild game or bif.

Upvote 0