EOS RP silent mode question

Mar 23, 2016
USA
I have an event to go to and need a silent shutter and a travel camera. I've been through the whole range of mirrorless cameras from point and shoot to interchangable lens cameras. I got down to a decision between the Sony RX10 IV and the Panasonic FZ1000 II. Both would do the job but the Sony is ultra expensive for what you get and the Panasonic, I'm told isn't the most durable camera and their customer service not the best. Besides both cameras are quite large with small sensors. I decided to take another look at the Canon lineup since I have a lot of EF glass and the customer service and reliability are the best IMO. Since I will be traveling, I was trying to stay away from interchangable lenses but with the size of the cameras I was looking at this may be moot point. So, I am seriously considering the EOS RP with a 24 -105, I already have and possibly a 2x TC that I already own for outside nature shots. Still small but versatile kit. Don't want to spend the cash for the R just for this occasion and I have a 5D4. Plus I am anxiously waiting to throw cash at the rumored high MP MLC we were told about. Would rather spend the money there.

Finally, the question. Canon did a weird thing in putting silent mode in auto only. Have people tried it and is it working for them? Can you still set limits for ISO in this mode, I never really like to go above 1600 if I can help it. I read the manual but didn't see it. Thoughts?

I have an event to go to and need a silent shutter and a travel camera. I've been through the whole range of mirrorless cameras from point and shoot to interchangable lens cameras. I got down to a decision between the Sony RX10 IV and the Panasonic FZ1000 II. Both would do the job but the Sony is ultra expensive for what you get and the Panasonic, I'm told isn't the most durable camera and their customer service not the best. Besides both cameras are quite large with small sensors. I decided to take another look at the Canon lineup since I have a lot of EF glass and the customer service and reliability are the best IMO. Since I will be traveling, I was trying to stay away from interchangable lenses but with the size of the cameras I was looking at this may be moot point. So, I am seriously considering the EOS RP with a 24 -105, I already have and possibly a 2x TC that I already own for outside nature shots. Still small but versatile kit. Don't want to spend the cash for the R just for this occasion and I have a 5D4. Plus I am anxiously waiting to throw cash at the rumored high MP MLC we were told about. Would rather spend the money there.

Finally, the question. Canon did a weird thing in putting silent mode in auto only. Have people tried it and is it working for them? Can you still set limits for ISO in this mode, I never really like to go above 1600 if I can help it. I read the manual but didn't see it. Thoughts?
Canon R has a silent mode. In RP if a preset mode comparable to Scenic, Food, Portrait, etc. Have yet to fine out if can be over ridden or if you can change ISO etc. when in that mode. BUT the shutter sound IS very quiet. Call Canon, they have toll free numbers and staff on duty to answer such questions. P.S. really like the camera for travel as well as other uses. Have the large 24-105 kit lens but bought the 35mm f1.8 just for travel & street scenes. Not so imposing looking with the smaller lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Canon R has a silent mode. In RP if a preset mode comparable to Scenic, Food, Portrait, etc. Have yet to fine out if can be over ridden or if you can change ISO etc. when in that mode. BUT the shutter sound IS very quiet. Call Canon, they have toll free numbers and staff on duty to answer such questions. P.S. really like the camera for travel as well as other uses. Have the large 24-105 kit lens but bought the 35mm f1.8 just for travel & street scenes. Not so imposing looking with the smaller lens.
I don't think you can choose anything, it's all automatic. I was referring to the menu where you set the parameters for max and min allowable auto shutter speed, max and min auto ISO, do those limitations feed over into the silent mode? I'm thinking they do, DUH, it's an automatic mode. Have to confess, never shot auto in my life. Started on film with no in-camera light meters available, never needed to. Kind of scary losing total control. LOL I think it would make a great travel camera and I just have to relax, let the camera take control when I use the silent mode.

Upvote 0