Equipment for landscape & travel photography - advice needed please!

What should I do?

• Stick with the 1DMkII but buy some new lenses/filters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
akiskev said:
Ereka I read your posts and all the replies.
You can' go wrong buying a 5D mkII. It will suit your specific photographic needs perfectly!
Then you can invest on some glass. For example 16-35 II or 17-40. I prefer the second for many reasons (cheaper, almost no lens flare, 77mm filter thread, same iq when stopped down).
If money is not a problem go get some Zeiss (18, 21, 25 are all great lenses, and I'm sure that the new 15mm will be too) and never look back!

Thanks for the advice. I've already bought a 5D MkIII though - is that what you meant?

I've being considering whether to buy some Zeiss lenses, but reviews seem to be mixed and I'm finding it difficult to decide whether they are any "better" (whatever that means) than Canon equivalents. It seems to be very much "swings and roundabouts" and "horses for courses"? On balance, is it better just to stick with the same system i.e. Canon cameras, Canon lenses?

Upvote 0
ereka said:
akiskev said:
Ereka I read your posts and all the replies.
You can' go wrong buying a 5D mkII. It will suit your specific photographic needs perfectly!
Then you can invest on some glass. For example 16-35 II or 17-40. I prefer the second for many reasons (cheaper, almost no lens flare, 77mm filter thread, same iq when stopped down).
If money is not a problem go get some Zeiss (18, 21, 25 are all great lenses, and I'm sure that the new 15mm will be too) and never look back!

Thanks for the advice. I've already bought a 5D MkIII though - is that what you meant?

I've being considering whether to buy some Zeiss lenses, but reviews seem to be mixed and I'm finding it difficult to decide whether they are any "better" (whatever that means) than Canon equivalents. It seems to be very much "swings and roundabouts" and "horses for courses"? On balance, is it better just to stick with the same system i.e. Canon cameras, Canon lenses?
Sorry, forgot an I there :D

Better value for money? No.
Better IQ? From my personal experience, yes.
It is a fact that you can get great results using an "all-canon" system. I just suggested an alternative which in my opinion has the edge IQ-wise.

Upvote 0
S

sanyasi

Others have given you good advice, so here is a niche point. Last summer, I bought a Singh-Ray Vari-Neutral Density filter--you can rotate if , which allows you 2 to 8 stops of neutral density. It by far is the best filter/accessory I ever have bought. This winter I have been taking photographs of "seascapes" and urban street scenes (but not street photography). It really allows you to create some amazing photographs. I started with one ND filter that was coated to achieve 4 stops of ND, but being able to increase or decrease the stops with one filter really is the only way to go. It is expensive (around $350 US0, but it is a great tool. I bought the 77mm, which works with 2 of my Canon lenses. http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html. I've already gotten way more that $350 of value out the Singh-Ray filter (and I am not talking about sales--I photograph for fun).

I've had the 5D Mark II in Greece in the summer and India (dust and heat even in November). I also did the New York City Annual Halloween parade in the pouring rain using a plastic cover (probably foolish). Never had a weather problem with the 5D.

As an aside, your problem (timing) is one reason I have two regular camera dealers rather than buying all my equipment mail order based on price alone. I suspect that a dealer might find a way to help you out in this pinch with a loaner, cheap rental, or even getting you to the head of a list. That's not to say you don't have a dealer or that you are "bad" if you don't. It is a reminder to everyone that sometimes paying rock bottom is false economy in the long run. Service still counts for something.

Have fun.

Jack Siegel

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.