Exif editor advice please.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I need to find an Exif editor with a gui front end please, I tried one that runs as command lines but I'm not that good with programming.
All I want to do is add 33 seconds to a batch of shots from a second camera. I took pictures of a friends daughter doing a skydive and my partner took some too, we neglected to synchronise the camera clocks and when ordered by time the skydivers get back on to the side of the plane after they jump! I tried to download a gui front for the command line software but it seems to have a broken link / been taken down.
Anyone got any advice please.
Oh I tried to do it the Windows 10, properties, detail route but it doesn't seem to work like it did in Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Graham.

Aug 29, 2013
I used to use "exif tag remover" ( by RL vision) and now use "exifcleaner". Well, you're not stripping exif but altering though my point is if I remember correctly, "exif tag remover" also allowed me to change the time to anything I wanted. It came in handy just for times like yours when I needed to sync cameras once in a blue. It's only $15 and I don't have lightroom anymore but I guess if you do, you could save the cash. But I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking for a quick way to change any file's date and time.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

All free... I use this to add EXIF data after negative scans. I recently used this for the very same problem you're dealing with but with two of my second shooters to my cameras and batched over 200 images in one shot. You'll need the GUI too... both are free and work perfectly.

EXIFtool
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

EXIFtool GUI
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Thanks to all for their advice, thanks to all the 'Lightroom does this' for undermining my decision to by DxO instead, thanks to Dilbert for correcting that! At the end of the day I guess changing the database info would do the same thing but I still resist buying in to the Adobe monopoly.
Thanks pookie, I think that was what I was trying to get working but I couldn't find the gui link on the gui page!
Hi Joe, thanks for your suggestion, if I can't get the gui to work on Exiftool I will give it a whirl, I really only want to adjust the time, but I guess the output jpegs could loose all but the time!

Edit yes the bogdan gui was the one I tried.

I will give Exiftool another shot later after all the mundane daytime stuff is done!
Thanks again.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Once again thanks to all who responded, fortunately for me I didn't have to buy Lightroom, with Pookie's help I managed to download the gui, it was where I looked originally but buried a bit deeper, Pookie's confirmation that it was still there got me digging deeper, I think it only becomes available to download once you are a registered user, at least after I registered I could find it!
Pleased to say after clicking about in the info panel for a while trying fruitlessly to change things, I spotted the other menus, I now have synchronised shots processing, I will share a couple if I get permission from my friends daughter, she is a very private person so it might not happen.
I really appreciate that you are all willing to help, it is what makes this place so good.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Once again thanks to all who responded, fortunately for me I didn't have to buy Lightroom, with Pookie's help I managed to download the gui, it was where I looked originally but buried a bit deeper, Pookie's confirmation that it was still there got me digging deeper, I think it only becomes available to download once you are a registered user, at least after I registered I could find it!
Pleased to say after clicking about in the info panel for a while trying fruitlessly to change things, I spotted the other menus, I now have synchronised shots processing, I will share a couple if I get permission from my friends daughter, she is a very private person so it might not happen.
I really appreciate that you are all willing to help, it is what makes this place so good.

Cheers, Graham.

Great to hear it worked out for you...

David

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
Using the command line for these simple non-interactive tasks is way easier than fiddling with any gui.

While you seem to have sorted out your problem already, for everybody with a similar problem, I would recommend exiv2 for adding a time offset.
In the directory with the files just run
Code:
exiv2 adjust -a +00:00:35 *.CR2
and all CR2 files in there have 35 seconds added to their exif time stamp.
Of yourse you can modify the command for different offsets (negative is possible) or different file types.

Another neat trick possible with exiv2 is
Code:
exiv2 mv -T *.jpg
which sets the file time to the time stamp in exif. This way you can make the file time match the modified exif time or you can restore the file time after you have edited an image.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Thanks Neuro, midluk for the extra info.
I decided to add a couple of shots of before and after the jump that I took on my 5D whilst my 7DII was set up on a gimbal ready for the main attraction. I found I needed to go back 4 min 30 secs on that one, man it took me ages trying to get a - in to the time adjustment before I finally tried unticking the increment box, when you do it changes to decrement, easy when you know how!
I have to say I'd rather struggle a bit with a gui that has the ability to show you the before and after times (or other changes) before hitting the run button than struggle trying to fathom out which commands I need after the command prompt.
I've had too many syntax error or command not known or whatever it says to ever have the confidence to use command line on critical work. Thanks for trying to edumicate me on it though! ;D I think I'll stick to my spanners and machining work.
Apart from my unfamiliarity with the gui I found the Exiftool plus bogdan gui to work very well and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone wanting to do what I needed to do, the installation was fairly straight forward just needing both bits in the same folder.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Pookie said:
All free... I use this to add EXIF data after negative scans. I recently used this for the very same problem you're dealing with but with two of my second shooters to my cameras and batched over 200 images in one shot. You'll need the GUI too... both are free and work perfectly.

EXIFtool
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

EXIFtool GUI
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
dilbert said:
Jim Saunders said:
It appears Lightroom will do it.

Lightroom does not change the file, just the metadata that it holds in its database for that file.

Like every edit in Lightroom, just save your changes (Ctrl-S) and it will update the file. Well, depending on file type and type of edit it could write a sidecar file, but I think for an Exif change it updates the original file.

Upvote 0