Expectations for Pro EOS-R

What are realistic expectations we can expect from professional version coming out in the next 6-9 months?
  • More mpx
  • 7-10 FPS
  • 120 FPS 1080P

That combination may pose Canon problems for the next months.

More realistic : low mp count but better video / AF / fps than the R, or high mp count but worse in these areas.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That combination may pose Canon problems for the next months.

More realistic : low mp count but better video / AF / fps than the R, or high mp count but worse in these areas.

It seems like if EOS-R was the baseline model (Canon 6D) than I anticipate the pro end to have a higher MP. I think 30 mpx is fine. Just give me 7-10 FPS.
I don't video but I think they will likely concede on this area.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
a joystick could definitely work if you could limit the points, for example to 9 or 15 so you can quickly go to any of them. From there you could always focus/recompose. Advantage over DSLR: these points could be much more spread out to the nearer side of the frame. Advantage of this is that from here, you can quickly 'grab' a subject and then let the camera track it. I hope that they expand the AF system and give us more options for tracking in a pro version.

Since this camera is sort of 5D4-ish, at least mpix-wise, could it be that a higher end body is also one with a much higher pixel count, to separate it from this one? Say more like a Z7 camera?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If Canon was to make a pro R model, aimed at sports and wildlife it would need to do 12-14 fps with af and exposure.
even the 1DX2 can not do that with live view.
Question to all, assuming Canon did produce a camera with them specs and more, how much would you be prepared to pay for that
$£5,500 to $£7,000.
they could start with a 1D Body remove mirror box and prism upgrade to digic 8 or 9. it would have more real estate to have have few more
knobs and dials. but it would be a big mirrorless.

Upvote 0
a joystick could definitely work if you could limit the points, for example to 9 or 15 so you can quickly go to any of them. From there you could always focus/recompose. Advantage over DSLR: these points could be much more spread out to the nearer side of the frame. Advantage of this is that from here, you can quickly 'grab' a subject and then let the camera track it. I hope that they expand the AF system and give us more options for tracking in a pro version.

Since this camera is sort of 5D4-ish, at least mpix-wise, could it be that a higher end body is also one with a much higher pixel count, to separate it from this one? Say more like a Z7 camera?

Probably Z7 specs with dual card slot and improve eyeAF. I read an interview they might IBIS in future model so will see.

For now, if Canon can improve eyeAF to Sony A7III level, 30mpx, 7 FPS, dual card slot, modern sensor that would be enough to add it to my bad with my Canon 5D IV.

Upvote 0
I'd bet on better sensor, dual SD card slots, and more physical controls on the body. Canon already said the new EOS R will get better Eye AF in a firmware update anyway.

That's for certain. I wonder how well would the eyeAF work after firmware. I doubt it will be A7III level, but if it's enough for pose shots, I would take it.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I agree with the above poster - that’s the next logical step. Take the 50MP sensor, remove the low-pass filter entirely, add DPAF functionality, improve high ISO performance (or at least reduce color noise). In fact, taking a look at the manual for the R, the crop options and C-RAW mode could come in incredible handy for a higher-res body. Imagine a 20MP crop mode (instead of just 11) or having 50MP compressed RAW files at only 30-40MB. Only major issue would be speed...the existing R is already slower than a 5D4...

Last edited:
Upvote 0