Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Mikehit said:
The last time I tried On1 about 18 months ago, I found their content aware nowhere near the Adobe version. Yes, it is only one aspect but it is an aspect that made me want to keep with PS a little longer.

OOh...I think a LOT has changed since 18 months.

In fact, the 2018 version was pretty good, but the .1 update they recently did, made even more noticeable changes, the import system now is really more LR like, and I had missed that.

So, far, I don't find the On1 to be that great with how I've tried to use the content aware tools...I may be using them wrong tho....

But even with LR, I would often drop into PS (or now Affinity Photo) if I needed to do any heavy lifting...I use On1 and LR 99% just for things that work well with RAW image processing....I don't find either tool to be spectacular for content aware touch ups, unless on a really simple background. For that stuff, I use Affinity Photo or PS.

But do give it a look, a LOT has changed in 18 months....

C

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
Mikehit said:
The last time I tried On1 about 18 months ago, I found their content aware nowhere near the Adobe version. Yes, it is only one aspect but it is an aspect that made me want to keep with PS a little longer.

OOh...I think a LOT has changed since 18 months.

In fact, the 2018 version was pretty good, but the .1 update they recently did, made even more noticeable changes, the import system now is really more LR like, and I had missed that.

So, far, I don't find the On1 to be that great with how I've tried to use the content aware tools...I may be using them wrong tho....

But even with LR, I would often drop into PS (or now Affinity Photo) if I needed to do any heavy lifting...I use On1 and LR 99% just for things that work well with RAW image processing....I don't find either tool to be spectacular for content aware touch ups, unless on a really simple background. For that stuff, I use Affinity Photo or PS.

But do give it a look, a LOT has changed in 18 months....

C

I started using ON1 last late October or right at the beginning of November and a lot has change just since then.

I've never tried Affinity but it looks pretty good. I've already paid for ON1 Photo Raw 2018 and am going to stick with them though, they seem to constantly be improving the software and it is actually quite good and fun to use.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
cayenne said:
I'm trying my hand at using On1 RAW in conjunction with Affinity Photo.....so far, working pretty darned well...still trying to get my keyboard short cuts memorized or altered to fit what I'm used to in PS and LR, and then occasionally, having to stop and research to see how something I did in PS is done in Affinity, usually just called something else (different name)...etc.

For example, today in On1 RAW, I was trying to set up my own preset adjustment for "Iris Enhance" like in LR. I couldn't really find the clarity...a little research and finding that with On1, the Structure slider is the close equivalent of Clarity.

I explored further and saw that maybe making a preset based off the Dynamic Contrast could maybe be something to look at too...etc.

Anyway..if nothing else, it is fun to try new things and learn new things. I'm still finding really cool ways to use all the masking in On1 RAW.

I'll be shooting Jazz Fest 2018 here in New Orleans the 2nd weekend, and this will be the first extreme test of doing a workflow sans Adobe, using On1 RAW and Affinity.....I'm shooting the 2nd weekend, Thurs-Sunday, and I think last year I shot close to avg 1000 images a day covering my two stages....

So, that will be a LOT of images to import, sort, cull, develop, and all.....a major test of On1 and my patience with doing something new.
:)

I shoot a lot of the gospel tent, and there well, it often tends to have a LOT of people on stage, and last year I had good results shooting some of them in a quick pano. So, I'll be working that aspect out of the tools too.

Anyway, I'll likely update here with results.

cayenne

This is really interesting. Although Serif are working on a DAM I really don't like their RAW edit module. I use DxO for this and really rely on PRIME How does ON1 compare in this respect?

I really must try this when I get a chance. Thanks for your insights most appreciated.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
zim said:
cayenne said:
I'm trying my hand at using On1 RAW in conjunction with Affinity Photo.....so far, working pretty darned well...still trying to get my keyboard short cuts memorized or altered to fit what I'm used to in PS and LR, and then occasionally, having to stop and research to see how something I did in PS is done in Affinity, usually just called something else (different name)...etc.

For example, today in On1 RAW, I was trying to set up my own preset adjustment for "Iris Enhance" like in LR. I couldn't really find the clarity...a little research and finding that with On1, the Structure slider is the close equivalent of Clarity.

I explored further and saw that maybe making a preset based off the Dynamic Contrast could maybe be something to look at too...etc.

Anyway..if nothing else, it is fun to try new things and learn new things. I'm still finding really cool ways to use all the masking in On1 RAW.

I'll be shooting Jazz Fest 2018 here in New Orleans the 2nd weekend, and this will be the first extreme test of doing a workflow sans Adobe, using On1 RAW and Affinity.....I'm shooting the 2nd weekend, Thurs-Sunday, and I think last year I shot close to avg 1000 images a day covering my two stages....

So, that will be a LOT of images to import, sort, cull, develop, and all.....a major test of On1 and my patience with doing something new.

I shoot a lot of the gospel tent, and there well, it often tends to have a LOT of people on stage, and last year I had good results shooting some of them in a quick pano. So, I'll be working that aspect out of the tools too.

cayenne

This is really interesting. Although Serif are working on a DAM I really don't like their RAW edit module. I use DxO for this and really rely on PRIME How does ON1 compare in this respect?

I really must try this when I get a chance. Thanks for your insights most appreciated.

Hello!!

Happy to help where I can...I'm not familiar with a couple of terms you used however.

Not sure what "DAM" is, and what is "PRIME".....it's early, no caffeine yet and I"m acronym challenged at the moment.
;)

I basically at this time am using On1 RAW for all my ingest from memory card, filing, backing up, renaming....then I take it through rating and culling and then pretty much all my photo development.

This is what I used LR for.

When I need heavy lifting, such as compositing, heavy retouch....or just getting "weird" and experimental, I move that image over to Affinity Photo (my Photoshop replacement)....much as I did with LR/PS.

Affinity Photo has a RAW section, but I don't really use it much, I do the ON1 for that....much like so far, I've not used ON1's layers section...

I figure each has its strong suit....and I used that. I've yet to find the magic all in one application for RAW and Layered manipulations, so I have basically been trying to move from a LR/PS combination to an On1 RAW/Affinity Photo combination.

At this point, I think I'm covering 98-99% of what I need, I've not yet really run into something I could do with the former that I can't do with the latter in my work flows, I mostly have to just occasionally stop and learn that something has a new name, or shortcut, or may have a different method of doing the same thing.

But that happens with any software switch....I actually find it amazing that the non-Adobe counterparts have SO much in common with Adobe's offerings.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been lawsuits flying frankly.

Anyway, if you can let me know what DAM and PRIME are in your context, I'd be happy to comment as best I can.

cayenne

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
zim said:
cayenne said:

cayenne

Hello!!

Happy to help where I can...I'm not familiar with a couple of terms you used however.

Not sure what "DAM" is, and what is "PRIME".....it's early, no caffeine yet and I"m acronym challenged at the moment.
;)

I basically at this time am using On1 RAW for all my ingest from memory card, filing, backing up, renaming....then I take it through rating and culling and then pretty much all my photo development.

This is what I used LR for.

When I need heavy lifting, such as compositing, heavy retouch....or just getting "weird" and experimental, I move that image over to Affinity Photo (my Photoshop replacement)....much as I did with LR/PS.

Affinity Photo has a RAW section, but I don't really use it much, I do the ON1 for that....much like so far, I've not used ON1's layers section...

I figure each has its strong suit....and I used that. I've yet to find the magic all in one application for RAW and Layered manipulations, so I have basically been trying to move from a LR/PS combination to an On1 RAW/Affinity Photo combination.

At this point, I think I'm covering 98-99% of what I need, I've not yet really run into something I could do with the former that I can't do with the latter in my work flows, I mostly have to just occasionally stop and learn that something has a new name, or shortcut, or may have a different method of doing the same thing.

But that happens with any software switch....I actually find it amazing that the non-Adobe counterparts have SO much in common with Adobe's offerings.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been lawsuits flying frankly.

Anyway, if you can let me know what DAM and PRIME are in your context, I'd be happy to comment as best I can.

cayenne

Hi, you can actually do some pretty heavy stuff with the masking in ON1, almost everything has a masking button in effects to do selective editing.....layers works quite well to.
It took me a little while to figure out certain things in ON1 but it is a pretty awesome program and can do a lot of heavy lifting.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Don't think ON1 is content resting on their laurels, I got a survey to fill yesterday and they are asking such things as, do you want basic video editing,etc.

I think I will always tweak my RAW shots using Canon DPP for starters as I've done in the past but I really have to start using ON1 RAW to learn but thee are so many unfinished jobs in my life and learning is tedious and not fun if you're in a panic.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Don't think ON1 is content resting on their laurels, I got a survey to fill yesterday and they are asking such things as, do you want basic video editing,etc.

I think I will always tweak my RAW shots using Canon DPP for starters as I've done in the past but I really have to start using ON1 RAW to learn but thee are so many unfinished jobs in my life and learning is tedious and not fun if you're in a panic.

Jack

You can do the same things you're doing in DPP in ON1 and once you got comfortable you could start playing with some of the other tools ON1 has to offer. Watching Youtube Tutorials sped up the learning curve for me big time.

Heck, you could even learn to be a brain surgeon by watching youtube videos! lol

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Durf, you are right, all the information is there and I'm, up to now, not putting in the time to learn. No excuses that would hold water! ;) Ugh, and now there is the garden waiting to get tilled and ... and some people are bored in retirement. :)

Jack

You could always set up the camera and do a time-lapse film of you doing that tile job....

Then use On1 RAW to adjust the images before putting them together into a movie!!
(There's alternative tools to Adobe for that too...some are free tools).

;)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
cayenne said:
;)

Hi, sorry I shouldn't assume

DAM - Digital asset management (save, retrieve, catalogue). Edit, just looked at the link Jack kindly posted and it easily does what I would need in this respect.

PRIME - Noise reduction, it's rather excellent in DxO

Of the two noise reduction is by far the most important to me.

Regards

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
zim said:
cayenne said:
;)

DAM - Digital asset management (save, retrieve, catalogue). Edit, just looked at the link Jack kindly posted and it easily does what I would need in this respect.

Regards

Ok, gotcha!!

Well, with On1 so far, I'm up in the air as to the noise reduction. I can only compare it to LR, I've not tried DxO, but I have heard it was a strong point they had.

I've been working recently with some images off my early model 5D3 (now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever updated the firmware)....and man once it goes above say 1250-1600....things start to get noisy REALLY fast.

It seems to be mostly luminance noise, I don't get much relief with color noise on either LR or ON1....but so far with either of them, I can only seem to clean them up just so much.

When it is bad, I usually resort to either doing them B&W, or trying to emulate older film, and make it a 'grain' look.
;)

But the DAM parts, so far, are working for me on On1....like I liked in LR.
Perhaps still a bit more raw in execution, but workable. I'm anxious to see what improvements the early summer updates will give....

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
I've found the NIK free NR when applied selectively to the background colors (maybe 150%) to be quite amazing. it is however quite tedious to do this because I make sure the subject is receiving very little (maybe 10%), so the shot must deserve the treatment.

Jack

Oh WOW.....I totally forgot I had the old free NIK collection on my system.

I"ll start to try to play with those!!!

C

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
cayenne said:
zim said:
cayenne said:
;)

Regards

Ok, gotcha!!

Well, with On1 so far, I'm up in the air as to the noise reduction. I can only compare it to LR, I've not tried DxO, but I have heard it was a strong point they had.

I've been working recently with some images off my early model 5D3 (now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever updated the firmware)....and man once it goes above say 1250-1600....things start to get noisy REALLY fast.

It seems to be mostly luminance noise, I don't get much relief with color noise on either LR or ON1....but so far with either of them, I can only seem to clean them up just so much.

When it is bad, I usually resort to either doing them B&W, or trying to emulate older film, and make it a 'grain' look.
;)

Perhaps still a bit more raw in execution, but workable. I'm anxious to see what improvements the early summer updates will give....

C

Cheers, really appreciate the info I've got to give this software a go!

Upvote 0
Ok, gotcha!!

;)

C

Just my opinion but I wouldn't even use the detail panel in the develop module in ON1 to do any noise reduction or sharpening.

I've learned that the "separate" noise reduction and sharpening panels in EFFECTS works like about 100% better. There's a ton more options and you can also use a dropper to do selected areas in the image to adjust noise or sharpening.

You can also stack the noise and sharpening panels in Effects and target multiple areas in your image differently!
Much BETTER! than the detail panel in Develop!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Durf said:
Just my opinion but I wouldn't even use the detail panel in the develop module in ON1 to do any noise reduction or sharpening.

I've learned that the "separate" noise reduction and sharpening panels in EFFECTS works like about 100% better. There's a ton more options and you can also use a dropper to do selected areas in the image to adjust noise or sharpening.

You can also stack the noise and sharpening panels in Effects and target multiple areas in your image differently!

This sounds really useful and well designed, the way I tend to work at the moment is to use prime to globally clean up an image then spot clean using Affinity which has really good clean-up tools as well but having the flexibility whilst working with the RAW before conversion has clear advantages.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Durf said:
Ok, gotcha!!

;)

C

OH yeah, I see that noise effect now....didn't know about the dropper, etc....that sounds similar to how the "neat" noise filter for video works....

I'll give this a try, thanks for the pointer!!!

C

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
cayenne said:
Jack Douglas said:
I've found the NIK free NR when applied selectively to the background colors (maybe 150%) to be quite amazing. it is however quite tedious to do this because I make sure the subject is receiving very little (maybe 10%), so the shot must deserve the treatment.

Jack

Oh WOW.....I totally forgot I had the old free NIK collection on my system.

I"ll start to try to play with those!!!

C

Tried lots, including the NIK software, currently using Topaz Labs Denoise, so far I've found it's the best I've tried with one exception.

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise

I also have Imaginomics software for Portraits etc, the denoise software in this is absolutely the best, but, it's quite expensive compared to say Topaz Denoise.

http://www.imagenomic.com

Having said that if you look at Topaz Denoise and Imaginomics Denoise as standalone, they cost the same.

Upvote 0