Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?

I think I will download it and give it a try.... I am ready to give up on Lightroom...

I haven't used Lightroom except for a couple of times since about last March or April. My Adobe subscription comes due Nov 1st and I won't be renewing it. ON1 does everything I need it to do.

I never was very deep in to photoshop but with ON1 I've easily learned to work a lot more with layers and masking more than I ever did in photoshop. I'm sure photoshop is much more powerful but for what I do ON1 is more than capable and a lot easier to use than photoshop (for me anyways).

It so much easier just using one program only for everything......

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I haven't used Lightroom except for a couple of times since about last March or April. My Adobe subscription comes due Nov 1st and I won't be renewing it. ON1 does everything I need it to do.

I never was very deep in to photoshop but with ON1 I've easily learned to work a lot more with layers and masking more than I ever did in photoshop. I'm sure photoshop is much more powerful but for what I do ON1 is more than capable and a lot easier to use than photoshop (for me anyways).

It so much easier just using one program only for everything......

In addition to On1 RAW, you might look into the great Affinity Photo application.

While On1 RAW is the equivalent to LR.....AP is the equivalent to PS....for doing more intense things like compositing and really difficult background cleanup and cutting things out, etc.

It too is a purchase and not rental like the Adobe model.

It is a great piece of software and the price is very reasonable.

HTH,

Cayenne

Upvote 0
In addition to On1 RAW, you might look into the great Affinity Photo application.

While On1 RAW is the equivalent to LR.....AP is the equivalent to PS....for doing more intense things like compositing and really difficult background cleanup and cutting things out, etc.

It too is a purchase and not rental like the Adobe model.

It is a great piece of software and the price is very reasonable.

HTH,

Cayenne

I think ON1 is not the equivalent to LR, I think ON1 blows LR away! ;)

I just bought Affinity and am learning it now. I got it for 34.99 a couple weeks ago. I'm still gonna use ON1 as my main go to and just slowly get used to Affinity and see if it'll fit in to my work flow or just use it as a back up if ON1 stops working for some reason or another....

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I think ON1 is not the equivalent to LR, I think ON1 blows LR away! ;)

I just bought Affinity and am learning it now. I got it for 34.99 a couple weeks ago. I'm still gonna use ON1 as my main go to and just slowly get used to Affinity and see if it'll fit in to my work flow or just use it as a back up if ON1 stops working for some reason or another....

I use On1/AP in the same way I did LR/PS.

I do about 98.9999% of my work in LR....basic development, etc...everything I can possibly do in RAW.

For those more rare other cases, I used PS, for compositing, heavy retouch, and object/people removal....things that need more heavy lifting.
I'd develop in LR and then send it over to PS for the heavy lifting parts.

I do the same thing now with ON1 and Affinity Photo....

Most in On1...and heavy lifting I send over to AP.

It would be nice if they were just a little more integrated like LR/PS is....but that's not that big of a work around....

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am totally looking forward to this new updated version!!!!! It has many things I've been wanting now that I only use ON1 as a stand alone processor......they are stepping up their game big time!!!!

ON1 Photo RAW 2019 Announcement - Live Event Recording
Dan Harlacher and Dylan Kotecki show what is coming for ON1 Customers in ON1 Photo RAW 2019. In this previously recorded live event, Dan and Dylan will walk you through the new features, tools, and layout of ON1 Photo RAW 2019. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 will be available mid-November 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rGb3if2m3g&t=775s

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I am totally looking forward to this new updated version!!!!! It has many things I've been wanting now that I only use ON1 as a stand alone processor......they are stepping up their game big time!!!!

Yep, I too am quite excited about this new version.

I'm a Pro member too, and will likely try the early release in Oct they mentioned. I wasn't going to do the Pro again, since it covers the next years release, but I have found it valuable for all the learning tools, presets and other "goodies" they give with the Pro annual membership. I may do Pro one more year, and after that, just hang back...unless On1 really keeps making extreme updates like this one....

Layers in a pure RAW workflow...with masking, etc....that to me is truly the type of upgrade and advancement that I don't think you'll ever see from an Adobe subscription on their tools.

With their subscription model, they really don't have much incentive to push forward and innovate in a meaningful manner.

On1, with their purchase model....have been pushing and innovating, and by this method, they do make me want to open my wallet again.

C

Upvote 0