Eye Focus?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm new to the group so forgive me if this is redundant. But I HOPE that Canon will bring us eye focus in the near future. that is as capable as the Sony. That is a the one feature that everyone who has a DSLR wishes they had, and is a huge draw for the SONY.
Thanks! I have a DSLR, but just couldn't quite figure out what I was missing. Good to know. Had I known Sony had eye focus, I'd have got a Sony. Those Sony users are the luckiest people in the world.

What is eye focus again?

Actually, I couldn't care less about eye focus. So not "everyone" that owns a DSLR wishes they had it. Don't care about video either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks! I have a DSLR, but just couldn't quite figure out what I was missing. Good to know. Had I known Sony had eye focus, I'd have got a Sony. Those Sony users are the luckiest people in the world.

What is eye focus again?

Actually, I couldn't care less about eye focus. So not "everyone" that owns a DSLR wishes they had it. Don't care about video either.
It finds the subject’s eye and focuses on it, rather than our having to scroll to the nearest focus point and use it. Eye focus allows tilting the camera, our movement and the subject to move while maintaining sharp eye focus. It’s really a superior focus method for portraits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah. I shoot wildlife. Often fast moving wildlife. Often 20-50m away. As good as eye detect AF may be on the sony it won't be good enough for me. As for the canon. Wait for their software update early in the new year. See what they bring.
Do you suspect that the R will have firmware to update it for eye focus?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Do you suspect that the R will have firmware to update it for eye focus?
Yes. That has already been stated by canon there will be an update that will allow eye detect af to be used in full servo mode and not just in one shot focus mode.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Although it will be nice to have, the face detect with the R is already waaaay superior with finding eyes compared to a DSLR. In fact, even single point focused on a face covering eyebrows, nose, eyes will ignore the nose and focus perfectly on the eyes.

The face detect in the R is incredible already. I haven’t missed an eye at f1.2 yet...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My R has eye detection, but not with tracking. Canon had previously announced their intent to add tracking capability. I expect that the processor in the "R" is underpowered for any high end capability. A high powered processor means more battery usage, or better power management, so I don't expect a miracle.

I have eye detection AF turned off because I generally prefer to select the AF point myself rather than trust the camera to do it in critical situations.

I'll play with it.

Upvote 0
My R has eye detection, but not with tracking. Canon had previously announced their intent to add tracking capability. I expect that the processor in the "R" is underpowered for any high end capability. A high powered processor means more battery usage, or better power management, so I don't expect a miracle.

I have eye detection AF turned off because I generally prefer to select the AF point myself rather than trust the camera to do it in critical situations.

I'll play with it.
I am not sure which camera you are talking about but with Sony in Face Eye detect it doesn't go to eye focus by default, you have to press an additional button, (main selector or your choice of programmed button) for it to find the eye, so it is a momentary thing.

Upvote 0
Those of us older Canon shooters remember the film days when they had a different kind of eye focus that some of us loved (I had a pair of Elan2E's, the E standing for Eye Control). It would look at your eye (the photographer not the subject) and whichever focus point you were looking at, it would focus on. Of course it only had five focus points (or was it three?). With dozens of focus points closely placed together that would be tough to do.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Although it will be nice to have, the face detect with the R is already waaaay superior with finding eyes compared to a DSLR. In fact, even single point focused on a face covering eyebrows, nose, eyes will ignore the nose and focus perfectly on the eyes.

The face detect in the R is incredible already. I haven’t missed an eye at f1.2 yet...

Yup! The face focus on the R works very well, and with it the eyes are in focus almost all of the time, even with f1.2 lenses and moving subjects.

Edit: I have one issue with the face tracking, it doesn’t work well if your subject wear glasses. I really hope they improve that in a firmware update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0