F1 Photography Advice

Roo said:
wickidwombat said:
some F1 pics, posted in the panning thread but thought i'd pop them in here too

Awesome shots!! It looks like the Tammy delivered the goods for you :) Any issues?

Issues well the VC is the biggest issue it utterly blows and was destroying shots got a 0% keeper rate trying to pan with it on so i just turned it off

Focusing I occasionally could not lock at long distance at all but that could be the haze or rain depending which day making it quite low contrast out on the back straight

However Tracking and servo were nothing short of amazing it held lock on the car even when the car went behind the fence or signs.

Also the Zoom Throw is WAY too long it sucks, and the direction is not convenient for being able to zoom and pan with good technique the canon direction is much more condusive to this so i missed lots of shots because of the silly nikon direction zoom.

The other issue is I didn't have a monopod or tripod with me so my arms were falling off by the end of the sessions :p
however i noticed the people with monopods eventually ditched them too.

I think for an enthusiast with the price of this lens it is utterly unbeatable and even at 600mm I am very happy with the images. however I don't think it would cut it for pro use the canon 200-400 would be in a whole other league I think. Not that i have had the pleasure of using the canon.

On race day i had to forget trying to shoot the main straight there were just too many people but having 600mm let me get right into the pit lane action from my seat which was awesome so i spent alot of time getting some interesting pit lane action which is in itself amazing to watch you dont realize how fast those guys are till you try and shoot them with only 6FPS! :p

If Tamron had put panning mode VC on this lens and made the canon mount zoom the correct way with half the throw I would happily pay double the price.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
wickidwombat said:
Roo said:
wickidwombat said:
some F1 pics, posted in the panning thread but thought i'd pop them in here too

Awesome shots!! It looks like the Tammy delivered the goods for you :) Any issues?

Issues well the VC is the biggest issue it utterly blows and was destroying shots got a 0% keeper rate trying to pan with it on so i just turned it off

Focusing I occasionally could not lock at long distance at all but that could be the haze or rain depending which day making it quite low contrast out on the back straight

However Tracking and servo were nothing short of amazing it held lock on the car even when the car went behind the fence or signs.

Also the Zoom Throw is WAY too long it sucks, and the direction is not convenient for being able to zoom and pan with good technique the canon direction is much more condusive to this so i missed lots of shots because of the silly nikon direction zoom.

The other issue is I didn't have a monopod or tripod with me so my arms were falling off by the end of the sessions :p
however i noticed the people with monopods eventually ditched them too.

I think for an enthusiast with the price of this lens it is utterly unbeatable and even at 600mm I am very happy with the images. however I don't think it would cut it for pro use the canon 200-400 would be in a whole other league I think. Not that i have had the pleasure of using the canon.

On race day i had to forget trying to shoot the main straight there were just too many people but having 600mm let me get right into the pit lane action from my seat which was awesome so i spent alot of time getting some interesting pit lane action which is in itself amazing to watch you dont realize how fast those guys are till you try and shoot them with only 6FPS! :p

If Tamron had put panning mode VC on this lens and made the canon mount zoom the correct way with half the throw I would happily pay double the price.

I think you've confirmed most of the issues everyone seems to have with the lens and the lack of panning zoom was one of the first things I noticed. I got used to 'nikon' style zoom as I have a couple of Tamron lenses. However, I sent mine back a couple of weeks ago to be checked out as I found a few specks of dust inside the front element. As for the 200-600, well that's in a whole other price league too so I would expect its performance to be on another level :D

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
I'll be looking for a buyer for my Sigma 150-500 shortly simply to help fund a 100-400L, but I seem to always need long reach, and this Tammy is lookin gooood!!
I wonder if a 100-400L + 1.4xTCIII will have better IQ that the Tammy out at 600mm? anyone care to share experience on that subject to help a buyer out?????????
Great photos mate, you made Kimi look good in his Ferrari, lets face it, looking good's about all he's done with it so far ;D

Upvote 0
The wombat is back! Terrific shots, mate! On a side note, I hope these new cars sound better in person than they do on TV!

And yes, for capturing pan blurs of cars going around a track, the 5D3's AF is utterly amazing. Just to amuse myself, I played around with the auto 61-point selection instead of zone AF on the autocross yesterday. To my surprise, it worked just as well if not better than in zone AF mode. What a machine. Whenever the 5D4 comes out, unless it offers some substantial improvements, I think I might skip the next generation of the 5D series and stick with my Mark 3.

Upvote 0
First time posting here, got a few from last year at Silverstone as the 2014 circus hasn't quite got round to the UK yet...

All from general spectator areas with a 5Diii shooting through the fence with 400mm f5.6 (sometimes with old sigma 1.4x) at the GP or following young driver test...

Susie Wolff by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Rosberg by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Sebastian Vettel 2013 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Felipe Massa by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Pic by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Daniil Kvyat by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

My advice, as others have also said... Friday and Saturday are your best chance for freedom of movement....make sure you use it, don't camp out.

Also don't just focus on shooting from stands, although you may get clear of the catch fence you are also blighted with the dull prospect of shooting down on cars against grey tarmac (at the majority of circuits). Get down to the fence and use DOF to just shoot through it, you will get much better angles.

Despite what other people have said, I've found letting the camera make decisions for you is asking for trouble... manual selection, single point with expansion & ai servo in my experience does the best job.

Invest in a monopod to help your panning and stability, also works in retracted form when sitting in the stands so you have more control, unless you intend for photojournalistic shots, don't use a shutterspeed above about 1/400, you want at least a little blur in those wheels, if possible try and get under 1/100 to get the most impressive results (but be prepared to bin a lot)

Finally don't be too put off by all the folks with massive white lenses and premium bodies, the equipment helps but doest make a great image on its own. Older bodies with shorter lenses can still deliver decent images if you use your feet and eyes to seek out spots.

Canon 40D with a Sigma 100-300 F4 from the stands under heavy clouds
7535447864_385c621bd7_h.jpg

Sunday, enjoy the race :)

Upvote 0
Graphix501 said:
First time posting here, got a few from last year at Silverstone as the 2014 circus hasn't quite got round to the UK yet...

All from general spectator areas with a 5Diii shooting through the fence with 400mm f5.6 (sometimes with old sigma 1.4x) at the GP or following young driver test...

Great shots! Last year's cars look so much better!

Upvote 0
Graphix501 said:

My advice, as others have also said... Friday and Saturday are your best chance for freedom of movement....make sure you use it, don't camp out.

Also don't just focus on shooting from stands, although you may get clear of the catch fence you are also blighted with the dull prospect of shooting down on cars against grey tarmac (at the majority of circuits). Get down to the fence and use DOF to just shoot through it, you will get much better angles.

Despite what other people have said, I've found letting the camera make decisions for you is asking for trouble... manual selection, single point with expansion & ai servo in my experience does the best job.

Invest in a monopod to help your panning and stability, also works in retracted form when sitting in the stands so you have more control, unless you intend for photojournalistic shots, don't use a shutterspeed above about 1/400, you want at least a little blur in those wheels, if possible try and get under 1/100 to get the most impressive results (but be prepared to bin a lot)

Finally don't be too put off by all the folks with massive white lenses and premium bodies, the equipment helps but doest make a great image on its own. Older bodies with shorter lenses can still deliver decent images if you use your feet and eyes to seek out spots.

Good shots there.

I can't attend the GP, but tempted to do the test on the wednesday this year, its just a shame that unless a lot of people turn up they won't allow spectators around the whole of the circuit which is putting me off the 3 hour drive each way.

Upvote 0